Eco-friendly shopping bags

Are you going to start crocheting shopping bags  

118 members have voted

1. 1. Are you going to start crocheting shopping bags

• Absolutely yes - I love them
    • Yeah -I guess I will have to
    • No, but I would buy some of them readymade
    • No, they will have to pry the plastic out of my cold, dead hand.

Walmart sells the product but I would have mailed the packaging back to the company that makes the doll so they would get the message. Someone needs to get it that more is not better.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I made the sugar and cream tote in the car during our trip this last week. My SIL kept saying how much she loved it, so I left it with her, but I forgot to take a picture first. The pattern was so simple but I'd like to try a different pattern this time. How is the market bag pattern from lion brand?

I hat plastic bags. I always tell places that I don't want a bag or I say that I want paper. I can recycle the paper bags and I don't have to worry about the bag ripping out at the handles either.Have you seen how much stuff they try to fit into a plastic bag?

I went to the store the other day and asked for paper and the little girl looked at me like I was from mars. i dont think she ever used a paper bag in her life (maybe 16 years) and she filled it to the top. i couldnt even pick ut up. I wonder what she would have done if I would have handed her a homemade crochet bag. I might try that next week!!!

So I made the sugar and cream tote in the car during our trip this last week. My SIL kept saying how much she loved it, so I left it with her, but I forgot to take a picture first. The pattern was so simple but I'd like to try a different pattern this time. How is the market bag pattern from lion brand?

The market tote pattern from Lion is a breeze. I did it and I've not done anything remotely similar. Check out my blog in my siggy

Joyce

I made a bag from the Canadian Living pattern. Someone had given me a ball of sport-weight yarn recently and took me a bit to figure out what to use it for. Don't know the brand or anything as there was no label, but I'm pretty sure it was acrylic... possibly Red Heart sport or something similar.

Last night I got some groceries and handed the bag to the checker. She gave me a look such as "what the heck is this for?" :think I told her it was a shopping bag. She didn't say much but put my groceries in it... everything except a 24-pack of soda and the eggs. Worked out well, except for the initial reaction from the checker.

There is a small grocery store close by where you bag your own. I usually spend more time trying to get their bags open than I do in line. It will be nice to have my own bags to use there. :D

today i brought a cloth bag when i went to go get dinner stuff. The girl didn't even ask what type of bags i wanted. she started putting it in plastic. and i said Oh, i've got a bag already. she just took the stuff out and put it on the counter, for me to put in. i thought that was weird.

I have to say that I work in a grocery store a front end manager (aka i am in charge of the cashiers) and they all know what to do with canvas bags. In fact, we have quite a large customer base who use their own bags (and they get 2 cents back on each bag), and in fact, we sell our own canvas bags for 99 cents a piece. It all depends on whether the store tells the cashiers what to do. All of our customers are good about telling us what type of bags they want and how they want them bagged and we have no problem accomodating them, unless the request is odd like 4 paper bags inside of 3 plastic bags. Then we tell them we can't do it that way.

If you have any other questions, just ask away and i'll try my best to answer them.

I recently purchased two Cabbage Patch Kids at WM (over a couple of months) and I ripped the packages apart, took the doll and parts and gave them the garbage to dispose. I hope they get the idea soon that tons of packaging is not eco-friendly.

I can say that Wal-Mart is trying to get the companies to use less packageing for the products. You should see the size of boxes we get for only small items.:eek

I'm still working on one bag to use, but need to get more plastic bags to finish it. Then I have plans of using other patterns to make other bags out of as well.

I have to say that I work in a grocery store a front end manager (aka i am in charge of the cashiers) and they all know what to do with canvas bags. In fact, we have quite a large customer base who use their own bags (and they get 2 cents back on each bag), and in fact, we sell our own canvas bags for 99 cents a piece. It all depends on whether the store tells the cashiers what to do. All of our customers are good about telling us what type of bags they want and how they want them bagged and we have no problem accomodating them, unless the request is odd like 4 paper bags inside of 3 plastic bags. Then we tell them we can't do it that way.

If you have any other questions, just ask away and i'll try my best to answer them.

Thank you for this post. Once again, education comes to the fore.

I am thinking it is time to take my cloth bags for groceries. I use my cart but the guy bags before I see him and I have so many bags now I don't know what to do with them.

Here's a thought on how to get the person who bags your grocery to use your canvas or crocheted, or what-ever bag you brought:

When you unload your items on the conveyer belt thingy... put your canvas/crocheted/reused plastic bags first... so the cashier will have to stop and look at you - then you can confirm her suspicions that, YES... I choose to RE-USE! :)

That way she/he will communicate that to the bagger when they come to bag the groceries. :D

Do you think that will work?

I'm gonna try that tomorrow. I'll let you know what happens.

Aloha - Kim

I have made 2 of the Canadian Living shopping bags so far.

One for my mom

th_100_1076.jpg

And one for me

th_Ecoshoppingbag.jpg

I haven't used mine yet....but I will, you just wait and see.

Thank you for this post. Once again, education comes to the fore.

I am thinking it is time to take my cloth bags for groceries. I use my cart but the guy bags before I see him and I have so many bags now I don't know what to do with them.

Not a problem; it really does depend if you go to an eco-friendly grocery store or not.

I have made 2 of the Canadian Living shopping bags so far.

One for my mom

th_100_1076.jpg

And one for me

th_Ecoshoppingbag.jpg

I haven't used mine yet....but I will, you just wait and see.

Beautiful bags! I couldn't find the pattern, do you have the link? I went back and the only Canadian living link I found was for an all single crochet one, not the loop one.

Thanks!

Debbi

Here you go:

http://www.canadianliving.com/CanadianLiving/client/en/Crafts/DetailNews.asp?idNews=237375&idSm=307

It works up great! I had my doubts when working on it, but it comes together when you put the finishing rounds on. :D

I used it at a QFC last night and had a much better experience than at Walmart. I just put it up on the writing platform and the checker noticed it and put my groceries in the bagging area so I could bag it myself.

I will definitely be making more of these. :hook

Other day, I went to Trader Joe's. I brought a cloth bag. I have no problem with them. They are friendly about it. However, Ralph's is different. They ignore the bag, packed food in plastic bags without asking me. I guess it's different with each food store and employees.

Quick note re Cdn Living bags....

I was talking to my mom last night and she asked me to modify the bag to a slightly smaller size. She finds that when she puts her groceries into it she can barely lift it......LOL

She has fibromyalgia so lifting heavy objects isn't a good thing.

I will work on that today.

The last couple of posts have shown how creative we all can be. We like the general idea but then we adapt to the needs, wants and desires of the users. I love this about crocheters.

I am also working my second version of a shopping bag. I hated the first method I tried so I started over with a rectangular bottom in solid crochet and I am making mesh sides now. It will be a good size so I will have to be careful about how much I put in. I'm guessing it will hold 2 RH pounders when finished... :wlol

Lol, I learned from the first mesh bag that i made. I even stopped before the pattern was finished. I noticed the bag was starting to look long. I made it with acrylic, so it stretches quite a bit!!! lol

I've got some silverish yarn or whatever i want to make a bag with next. I'm not sure of what type of yarn it is, but it seems pretty sturdy, and I don't think it has any stretch to it really. Seems sorta like twine or something, but thicker, and silver. It's on a cone. Another thrift store find by my mom!

Well, hey, as long as it can hold yarn who cares how big it is.

**must keep priorities straight**

:cat

LOL

so true.

So glad to read these posts. I started it and it kept getting bigger on the bottom. I didn't know if I liked that... I was thinking I should ask how big yours are, but I guess it really doesn't matter. I crochet lose so my stitches are taller, too. So I was thinking of redoing it in hdc (I like the bigger stitches then sc for the bottom) and then the mesh I was going to do less on the chain, maybe a chain 5 or something. Seemed like a very open mesh to me. But I do like the general idea of this pattern.

Debbi

Archived