darski

Eco-friendly shopping bags

Are you going to start crocheting shopping bags  

118 members have voted

1. 1. Are you going to start crocheting shopping bags

• Absolutely yes - I love them
    • Yeah -I guess I will have to
    • No, but I would buy some of them readymade
    • No, they will have to pry the plastic out of my cold, dead hand.

Since we are a mighty force of creative people, I am wondering if people here are planning to start crocheting shopping bags if plastic bags become illegal. Paper is just not going to work for me.

I have been using cloth bags for ages now but I find myself planning some crochet versions and the patterns are becoming more common (even Lola is offering one now). How about the rest of y'all

some links with bag patterns:

this is probably the easiest and fastest:

http://www.canadianliving.com/CanadianLiving/client/en/Crafts/DetailNews.asp?idNews=237375&idSM=307

Oops, missed crochet me :blush

http://www.crochetme.com/reduction-tote-bag

http://www.bernat.com/pattern.php?PID=2330

http://cache.lionbrand.com/patterns/ckc-tote.html?noImages=0

http://cache.lionbrand.com/patterns/ckct-hoboBag.html?noImages=0

http://cache.lionbrand.com/patterns/60551.html?noImages=0

http://www.patonsyarns.com/pattern.php?PID=2179

And the all-time greatest crochet resource (after the "Ville)

http://www.crochetpatterncentral.com/directory/bags_totes_purses.php

I'd like to, if I had a pattern for bags that worked up fine enough to wad up small.

I hope they don't make plastic bags illegal though; I recycle mine as trash bags.

I use canvas bags now, although not as often as I should. I also ask for paper rather than plastic. Even recycling them as trash bags isn't actually recycling as much as using it for something else since they still end up in the landfills. I plan to crochet some, when I get past a few other projects I'm working on. I'm constantly trying to figure out ways to use less plastic, but it's so much a part of our society, it's hard to get around it sometimes.

I love hand made shopping bags and have several sewn ones out of muslin and other sturdy cotton fabrics. I don't like the meshy ones since stuff can slip though the holes. There was a bag in Canadian Living about 10 years ago that was made whit cotton knitting worsted and was solid single crochet. I worked at Lewiscraft then and made loads of them. Of course I have re-written the pattern quite a bit too since some it didn't work very well. It was a big bag with a shoulder strap on it. If anyone wants my version of it I can send it to you. It uses 5 balls of solid colour or 6 balls of varigated Sugar n Cream cotton yarn.

Carol

I do try to use canvas, but I don't always remember to bring them or have enough. I like the idea that a crocheted bag could be folded or wadded up to fit in my regular tote so I'd be more likely to always have one with me

Thanks, Darski! I've been looking at patterns for a while. I want to try the string version because it will fold up small. I keep buying canvas totes, but they all seem to be holding WIPs.:blush

I also use canvas bags, have for a long time. I did actually crochet a market bag on my trip from OR to NV, this last weekend. All I have to do is put the handles on....I made up my own pattern and plan on making more, it was fun and quick project... KUDOS to all who help the enviorment!!

I've made several but yesterday my local supermarket (Thriftys, for anyone on Vancouver Island) had two for one cloth bags - 99c for 2. This was for Earth Day so I bought half a dozen and have good intentions of using them. They also give the customers 3c a bag for reusing plastic or bringing your own. Zaraliz

I didn't know that plastic bags might become illegal. I use them to line the trash can in the kitchen. That way I can save money and not have to use the big trash bags that you have to buy. I've made one plastic bag tote. We used it for the longest time before it got stretched out (from carrying too many library books in it).

I am heading out for an afternoon of crocheting with a friend. i think I will take my Handicrafter cotton and try making, designing a bag.

One reason I like cloth is that it is much easier on my hands. :yes:yay

Thanks for the pattern links! I use cloth bags but I've been wanting to crochet some too.

I haven't done this because I only go shopping once a month so that means I usually have twenty or more bags. Does anyone here use twenty or more canvas or crochet bags when they go shopping? I am all for making my own mainly to show off my handy work :lol:hook

I would like to make a thread bag which could collapse to nothing and hide in the recesses of my purse for emergencies. I've got a pattern which has an Irish rose on the bottom then nets up the sides. Offhand I don't remember what the handles are like, but it is completely collapsible.

Zeropixie, I have about a dozen (maybe more) canvas bags I can take to the one store in town where you bag your own groceries.

In the South of Ireland you have to pay for plastic bags but most stores sell canvas bags pretty cheap about 70p - £1.00. They are very durable and last for ages AND fantastic for carrying crochet projects in! Every time I go to Marks and Spencers and Asda I buy one.

Well, I am just crocheting a string bag right now - from Erika Knight, will post when finished.

Good to bring attention to this & thanks for the links.

Around here, most stores don't want you to carry backpacks in. I don't know how they'd handle customers wandering in with canvas bags.

Definietly! I just realized that with all this wierded yarn leaving way too many holes in anything I make, (unless I use sc all the time), it will make perfect bags!

I regularly request paper bags for 2 reasons: they are better to recycle and they hold more than the paper bags. Some times I have to unload my groceries by myself and since 99% of the time I bag my own groceries, I pack them lighter than any bag boy does. So bringing in a couple of paper bags is easier than bringing in 10-12 bags of plastic.

I've been recylcing for many years now. Whenever someone puts glass or plastic in my trash cans, even my kids will quickly take it out and let whoever the culprit was know that I'll get mad if I see the glass or plastic in the trash.

Where we live, we are given to plastic tubs. One is green for paper products and the other is blue for plastic, glass, aluminum. If you pass by our house late on a Tuesday night, you can identify our house by the largest pile of recycle materials. One of our new neighbors asked me recently why I didn't put my recycle out every week. I told her I did.....I just recycle everything and that's why it's always such a big pile every week. The past couple of weeks I see she's been recycling more & more.

Thanks for all the great bag sites..

I must make one...

Martha

Thanks so much for the links! I saw the crochet me bag last week, and printed out the pattern. I'll definitely be giving it a try, and the other links had some good-looking bags!

I use canvas bags for shopping, and buy special biodegradable bags to use for dog doo clean-up. I scuba dive, and after seeing the timeline for how long it takes a plastic bag to biodegrade, I try my best not to use them at all.

I already use canvas bags. They're great. And our local Kroger will give $.05 off of your total per bag you bring in to use.

There was an article in the paper in the San Fransico area where they were going to banned plastic shopping bags. We were down in that area at the time and have since moved north so don't know if they are still talking about it or not......anyone in the SF area???

I use canvas bags but am making the crocheted ones for produce. Hope the markets will like them enough here to give a few cents off for using them. Thanks for the pattern links I am printing now.

Thanks for the links. I'll probably make a couple of bags. I always have to ask for paper bags at the grocery store since one of my cats has a fondness for plastic (he eats them! :2eek ). Some times they don't have any paper bags at the register and the clerk doesn't care to get go to another register or ask another employee, to get the bags. I can't bring plastic bags in the house and turn around to shut the door before he's :cat eating them!