Eco-friendly shopping bags

Are you going to start crocheting shopping bags  

118 members have voted

1. 1. Are you going to start crocheting shopping bags

• Absolutely yes - I love them
    • Yeah -I guess I will have to
    • No, but I would buy some of them readymade
    • No, they will have to pry the plastic out of my cold, dead hand.

So, I started the revised version of this on lunch. I ended up with 128 st after making the bottom. I am doing a ch 5 instead of the ch 9. I was just picturing trying to put toothpaste into the bag and it falling out with the large mesh.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have several crocheted bags from Natalie085's pattern that I've made, a few from recycled cotton sweaters, one really cute one from kitchen cotton. They work great...when I remember to use them. I've gotten better. I do like using canvas bags as well and now have rounded up all canvas bags and leave them in the car with the mesh bags. After unbagging, I stick them on the doorknob so that I remember that they're there on the way out. I'm much better now than I used to be with using the market bags.

The thing that really gets me, tho, are the produce bags. I hate those plastic bags, they're a PIA to open and just accumulate. They're too small to reuse in garbage cans and I just don't know what to do with them. I'm not sure if they're recyclable or not and sometimes, if they've had something wet in them, they're a bit icky, as well.

I think I'm going to try to make some small, drawstring mesh bags for my produce. I like the plastic mesh ones that onions come in, but I think that yarn will be more practical for cleaning purposes and expandabililty. I'll let you know what I come up with!

OK, so now I'm obsessed with making these bags, the Canadian Living version. I noticed in another pattern that you could use two strands of crochet thread to make a bag, so I went to my stash and found some. I decided to use three strands-nice and sturdy, huh? I was dealing with the challenge of keeping all three strands together when my big long-haired cat decided to plop himself down next to me, right on top of the threads. I yanked on the thread to encourage him to leave, but his fur got twisted into the thread, he got mad and took off, trailing three balls of thread behind him! I thrust my bag into my daughter's hands with orders to hang on tight, and set off in hot pursuit through the living room and under the dining room table, trying not to step on the thread. The one attached to his fur broke, and I spent the next half hour untangling the huge mess. I had plenty of time to reflect on the incident and how it reminded me of Jaws, where the shark swam off with three barrels bobbing along behind him. Also, I couldn't wait to share my story with all of you, because I knew you'd appreciate it. I also decided to make the mesh sides of the bag with only two strands and it seems sturdy enough.

Also, I took my bag (the completed one made with Peaches N Creme) to a Mother's Day cookout, carrying paper products. Now my sis and SIL each want one. Guess I'll be obsessed for a while longer!

Boy, there are some great stories coming out of this and I really enjoy reading them.

On my bag with WW cotton, I am using a 4 ch mesh. I might go to a 5 ch as I get a bit higher up the sides. I too can see toothpaste (or worse) falling out.

I have to admit that it would be nice if I could just sew for this as I could sew 5 muslin bags in the time it takes to crochet this one. But then I am slow.

Oh, Darski, I'll bet you're not that slow. My sister asked how long it took to make my bag, and I told her 3 evenings. See, I have this darn thing called a job that eats up all my free time during the day. She said she'd really like one and maybe she'd like a few more for her XMas gift exchange with her friends. I remember that exchange is for $5., meaning she'd pay me $5 for them. Hmmm, yarn and 3 nites of free time for only $5? I think that's pushing the limits of sisterly tolerance.

Hmmm, yarn and 3 nites of free time for only $5? I think that's pushing the limits of sisterly tolerance.

Ha ha Redheart! I know what you mean! So many people think I should sell them, and I keep thinking, there's no way I'd recoup my time back on these things! I wanted to make them as gifts, though, so I'm going to keep plugging away at it.

I had another idea though, what about using one of those i-cord machines and somehow weave or crochet them together to make the bags? Would be much faster and maybe sturdier, but perhaps too bulky.

I already use canvas bags. They're great. And our local Kroger will give $.05 off of your total per bag you bring in to use.

Your Kroger does that? Do you have to remind the cashier? Do they have to be Kroger brand canvas totes? Can they be other bags?

Kroger is our local grocery. It's literally walking distance from our apartment. How great would it be to get 5 cents off of each canvas tote!

~ Joy

Plastic really drives me nuts because (with 4 kids) I come home with about 12 bags twice a week, and they just accumulate and accumulate here. I tried making plastic yarn out of it, but I didn't have the time to be making it. :(

Send it to me! I'll plarn it for ya!

Having too much fun ~ Joy

I have a handful of canvas/fabric bags, and fabric to make more. I can sew, I have a machine even, but it is NOT my favorite pastime. (see my sig...that silly top has been a WIP for a couple months now, thanks to the silly liner I want to put in). And when I go to ALDI (no bags...it's like a warehouse discount store...bag your own/box em using boxes off the shelves as they empty)...the prices are worth it...today, I ran out of bags...make more...now I have a really good excuse to get a spool or two of the Peaches and cream cotton. (or to force myself to sew more...it's the handles that get me the most) I was taught well...my Mom in CA uses these nylon bags a store gave as a premium/promotion or something waaay back...they stuff really small. she has 6 I think, and sometimes could use more. So I am properly inspired. I have too many paper bags now, and plastic?! eeek. at least for those I can bring them to our local walmart, they still have a recycleplastic bags bin. (It's always full) :)

From Darski: I have to admit that it would be nice if I could just sew for this as I could sew 5 muslin bags in the time it takes to crochet this one. But then I am slow.
No, you could make 10 bags! A few years back I found some canvasy fabric at Wal-Mart in cheery colors (well, some were not so cheery, but...) and made about a dozen of these lickity split. After I got going I kept one cut one back and asked my husband to cut more bags while I sewed. It was incredibly fast even though I was doing double rows of stitching for strength. These bags do have webbed handles instead of sewn ones which cuts the time since you don't have to mess with sewing handles from cloth.

We have a book on bags and totes which has a couple of crochet patterns in it. For one of them you crochet a pair of Irish roses with thread, then put them together rather like a clamshell with an opening on one side. The bag itself attaches to the clamshell and grows out to a respectable size. Offhand I can't remember how it secures, but the bag will tuck into the clamshell and be a pretty little pouch to slip into your purse.

ETA: I took a look at the pattern. There is a thread loop on one of the roses, much like a loop buttonhole, and a longer wrist-size loop on the other. To secure the pouch you put the long loop into the "buttonhole" and draw it up. That's it. I would think you could use a real button instead of the wrist loop and just button it closed.

So I was in Walmart last nite buying yarn for another project and I looked at thread, since I was already there. I've been trying to crochet a bag with two strands of thread, but it's a pain and I've put it aside for now... hope I'm not developing Crochet ADD... anyway, found some #3 thread in a nice darkish pink to try. This will make my fourth attempt to find something pretty but that will still squish down enough to be portable. Anybody else try this #3 and how did it turn out?

I love crocheted market bags! I had made several of the Sugar 'n cream pattern, then I designed my own pattern (it's free on my web site) that I can make larger just by adding more chains to the foundation.

Then I added something to the market bag I made for my own use, and I thought I'd pass it along.

I chained 20, made one row of dc, then worked sc around the entire narrow strip. Then I folded it in half and crocheted the ends in with the first dc round of my bag top, inside the bag. Instant key loop! When I walk to our nearby Wal-Mart, I just toss my wallet into the market bag, hook my keys to the loop, and off I go.

My sister just "swiped" the two bags I've been using. She's going to use them for going to the hotel pool on her trip this week. :lol

Darski, thank you for posting that pattern! I've been wanting to make some of those ever since I saw a pair made up and shown on C'ville! I've never used Speed Cro-Sheen but it has to go faster than the bag I'm making out of #10 thread right now!

OK, I'll just answer my own question. Aunt Lydia's #3 cotton is nice and soft and easy to work with. I'm using an F hook and added another round to the bottom of the bag. SIL saw it and wants hers in red.

Cro-sheen... I have some of that somewhere.

:think great question.....um' :yes I would have to make some for sure. I won't use paper bags as I have been told they attract roaches.....:yuck although I don't know how true it is....but I am not :no takin' a chance.

:think great question.....um' :yes I would have to make some for sure. I won't use paper bags as I have been told they attract roaches.....:yuck although I don't know how true it is....but I am not :no takin' a chance.

That could be true because Roaches are as attracted to paper as they are to food. I hadn't thought of that.

Of course roaches have to be in the vicinity already for them to come after your bags. But that covers just about :think oh everywhere :wlol

That could be true because Roaches are as attracted to paper as they are to food. I hadn't thought of that.

Of course roaches have to be in the vicinity already for them to come after your bags. But that covers just about :think oh everywhere :wlol

I don't believe I've ever seen a roach around here.

I don't believe I've ever seen a roach around here.

if by "here" you mean the Ville, oh yes they show up, post a spammer post and then scuttle back into the darkness. :wlol

If you mean where you actually live be very, very grateful.

A quick count shows that 99 out of 118 (83.9%)people have chosen to make and use some cotton type of shopping bag.

I think this demonstrates that most people are willing to do what needs to be done.

if there is one thing I am not it is green but I do think that we need to do what we can to curb waste.

Paper bags, cardboard boxes, food, of course. I thought roaches were everywhere except maybe the North and South Poles! We lived in Tampa, Florida, for a while. People used to move out of their house, have it covered with a huge tent and intensely fumigated. It would kill the roaches only for a while. They always returned. Icky things!

A quick count shows that 99 out of 118 (83.9%)people have chosen to make and use some cotton type of shopping bag.

I think this demonstrates that most people are willing to do what needs to be done.

if there is one thing I am not it is green but I do think that we need to do what we can to curb waste.

We've also begun buying those spiral florescents bulbs for our lamps. They say if everyone in the U.S. changed to flourescents, the energy savings would be tremendous, even reducing the need for whole power plants.

Back to the bags: I've been making a point to take my canvas bags into even Wal-Mart lately and have been pleasantly surprised by the checkers' responses. Most have been perfectly willing to let me use my obviously empty bags. I'm going to gradually make collapsible string bags for fresh produce, too, which is why I am so delighted with the Onion Bag pattern.

We've also begun buying those spiral florescents bulbs for our lamps. They say if everyone in the U.S. changed to flourescents, the energy savings would be tremendous, even reducing the need for whole power plants.

What you need to know about those lights is that it can cost up to $2,000 to clean up the environmental harm (in one room) caused by one of these falling and breaking.

The people telling you to buy them have no way of dealing with them when they are dead. They contain mercury and are more poisonous than lead paint would ever be.

Archived