Thank you everyone- goal for Uganda met, drive closed!

Ro

Hi everyone! Well thank you to a very large and very generous donation, Family to Family now has all the blankies that they can handle for shipping to Uganda!

I would love to say thank you publicly to the ladies who made this possible but since I go the info in a PM and not a post I don't want to embarrass them if the wanted to remain anonymous.

I'll see if I can get permission to thank them here in the thread, and in addition I want to thank each and every one of you who sent in blankets for this project.

You all have a very special place in my heart.

love and hugs,

Ro

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh that sounds like a great charity. I'm doing the square along this weekend and I was wondering what charity I should give to. I'd love to send it along. I'm assuming I'd need to piece the squares together into a blanket first right?

If anyone wants to contribute but doesn't want to assemble, you may send me some squares. Let's stick to 6" and 12". Right now I'm finishing another special ghan, but when that is done I can focus on this. I really have a heart for orphans.

Ro, thank you so much for this information. :hug

Cherri,

You're never too new to help people out! I'm sure they will be blessed by your thoughtfulness, generosity, and skill! Just take a quick read through the Guidelines for Crochet for Charity/Comfortghans sticky and you should do just fine! :cheer:clap:cheer

RO,

I would like to make one, too! I would also like to know the deadline as I am currently out of commission with arm / shoulder pain. Dr. says 3 weeks :eek , but maybe sooner. :hook

Mary <><

UGH! I just wrote a whole long post and the board signed me out and then ate it :( I'll try to get the gist of it here. Please forgive any bad choices of words on my part as I am dealing with a family crisis at the moment and also just home from major dentistry and so I'm pretty out of it today.

1. Family to Family, the people who are handling the blankets are asking for completed blankets.

I see that someone has generously volunteered to assemble squares. That is very kind! I just want to state at the outset that I can't help out with that in any way due to limited time and energy.

If you want to team up with someone to make squares and have someone else assemble them and then ship the finished blanket(s) to Family to Family, that is entirely up to you. But Family to family doesn't have the people to assemble squares, and I don't have the ability either, so finished blankies are what we're asking for.

2. There is no size requirement. As big or small as you want, there will be a child who will love it and cherish it. Let your imagination go wild.

3. Use any sort of yarn you like but I would caution against animal fibers because so many people (including me!) are allergic to them. I'm sticking with acrylic or 100% cotton myself, but any weight of yarn is fine. Again I'd just ask you not use red or black yarn (see my post above)

4. I now have the Family to Family address in the US to ship to. Just PM or email me and I will be happy to give it to you. You can start sending blankets as soon as you wish. I do not have a cut-off date yet as far as how long this will go on, I will inquire when they are planning to ship. I think they would like to have a nice amount of blankets before shipping them over, and I would guess shipping date will depend on how many blankets come in.

5. Just wanted to be sure that everybody knows that I'm not coordinating this: I am participating in Family to Family's drive myself and doing all I can to spread the word. I won't be handling the blankets at all myself, they will go straight from you the crocheter to Family to Family, who I have no doubt will see them safely to their destination in Uganda.

If you have any other questions please feel free to post them here or email me. I'll get back to you soon as I can. If I don't know the answers offhand, I will do my best to get them.

In the meantime if you're new around the Ville and are wondering who the heck this 'Ro' chick is, anyway, you can click my sig and read about past projects I've participated in charity wise. I've been at it awhile, and I am thrilled to be helping out a charity as great as Family to Family to bring comfort to some sweet little children.

hugs and sorry again for the poor wording. . .long, rough day today.

xoxo

Ro

If anyone wants to contribute but doesn't want to assemble, you may send me some squares. Let's stick to 6" and 12". Right now I'm finishing another special ghan, but when that is done I can focus on this. I really have a heart for orphans.

Ro, thank you so much for this information. :hug

I can send you some squares. Would you prefer Red Heart or Simply Soft? I have both so which ever you prefer is fine with me. :hug

Coralie

Coralie, I would prefer Red Heart super saver. Simply soft is a little hard on my hands. I can work with it, though, if that's all someone has!

Hey, sorry I've been away for so long as well. I've had some issues with homework, and we are working through a family crisis as well. I will start working on this tonight. This seems like a wonderful project and I have this soft spot in my heart for kids, especially orphans.

~Kayla~

Wow, look at all of the response already! Makes me feel all :c9

As yet: still no deadline I have to email Pam tomorrow to ask. I think it will depend on how long it takes to get a good amount of blankets to ship, but it is my understanding that their work (Family-to-Family's) with this place in Uganda will be ongoing so hopefully everyone who wants to make a blanket will be able to get to contribute before any deadline (i hope) again will verify very soon.

Look at the familiar faces in this thread!!! I loves you guys *tears* With the stuff going on right now if I didn't have this new project I just wouldn't know what to do with myself.

You are all such wonderful folks. Crocheters and knitters are the best people I swear.

Off to bed for me- the high point of my day was 90 minutes with the dental drill. that says a lot.

I did manage to start my first blankie tonight- woo hoo!!!

big huge squishy hugs and a million thanks!

Ro

p.s Kathy, I hear you- believe it or not with the exception of about four skeins I needed for a specific gift I have not bought stash enhancement in AGES. I think the time is nigh ! *lol*

Ro, was wondering if it had to be squares, i have alot of yarn i could maybe send to someone who wants to make squares and don't have the money foryarn. my only stipulation would be that they DO use only for this charity, would that work also, i would help out if i had time but am in the middle of putting 2 comfortghans together and another afghan after that to make and send, please tell me that will workl:devil:devil:devil

i 2nd it, Ro is one of the most selfless people i know, all she does is make for others. i know how good it makes her feel and thats reward enough but as kathy said she is one awesome lady so i feel honored to be able to help if she approves my idea:hug:hug:hug to you Ro

Aww man you guys have me crying in my coffee cup first thing this morning *lol* happy tears though for the first time in days thank you so much but you are way too kind.

Any project I have managed to do with any degree of success has been because of the great women like you two and so many others here. . .and I have the pictures to prove it! You all give so much more of yourself and I find you so inspiring especially to know that when hard times hit women like you- that you dig in and do even more to give to others.

You just amaze me and I am so glad to be back in the company of such kindness.

Okay. . .drying eyes *lol* lets see, Vicki if you want to contribute yarn to anyone of course that is up to you- I'm sorry I can't coordinate any supplies donations right now cause I am so swamped already but hopefully you can find someone to get together with around here.

One more time just for clarification for folks who might not have read my earlier post: we need hand made blankies, comfort objects mostly but the size can vary greatly in that. Let your imagination go wild. The only thing they're asking is that you not use the colors red or black, and I recommended people use non-animal fibers because of allergy risk.

I will ask Pam about a cut off date for shipping to them and in the meantime also need to mention again that we can't handle individual square donations- just whole blankies.

If you can't contribute at this time, please don't feel badly there is always so much going on for so many worthy causes; all you can do is what you can do!!!

big hugs and I need more coffee!!

Ro

PS UPDATE: I am thinking better of putting the mailing address on the web since it is not a PO box. Please email me at sherwoodro@sbcglobal.net or PM me here and I will be happy to share it. Thank you again everyone!!!

Hi, it's me again. I have a question:think , what size are these "blankies"? (I know I told you about the afghans I have that are twin size.) I don't want to send something that might be too cumbersome, that these children wouldn't be able to enjoy and carry around:no If you could let me know, I would be most happy:).

Hi, it's me again. I have a question:think , what size are these "blankies"? (I know I told you about the afghans I have that are twin size.) I don't want to send something that might be too cumbersome, that these children wouldn't be able to enjoy and carry around:no If you could let me know, I would be most happy:).

I was thinking of making baby sized afghans.

I have a webpage up now that has, I hope, a lot of questions answered as well as reiterating the info in this thread: here's the link!

Pam had asked for'cuddly' sized blankets for kids to snuggle and not necessarily for warmth. But she didn't say anything against larger ones, so I would imagine that variance in size is fine: with so many children there I am sure no matter the size of the blanket, they will find just the right child to love it. Hope that helps!

hugs!

Ro

Archived