Thank you everyone- goal for Uganda met, drive closed!

Ro

Hi ladies!

Boy, do I owe you all an apology for being so absent from this thread! I have been working on my blankets as my health has allowed- I'm on my sixth one right now :) Will post some pictures soon as I can.

By way of explanation to everybody for why I've been so quiet- aside from the stuff that went on with taking down my websites and all (which is a 'whole other show' as they say!) my very best friend for 24 years lost her husband very suddenly in April. He was on life support for ten days after suffering cardiac arrythmia (spelled wrong I know) and brain damage from lack of oxygen. He passed away only nine months after they had moved out of state for a new job for him, leaving her across country alone with just her pets.

Due to my health issues I have been unable to travel out there to stay with her, but we did all we could to help during the funeral and all which was here (she flew out for it) since then she's been getting ready to move back and we've been on the phone all the time trying to talk through the process and so I have been very, very busy.

I have kept up with the incoming address requests for family to family and there shouldn't be anyone I haven't gotten back to so please if you emailed me and didn't get a response, send another one cause it probably didn't get through. I just say that to be sure I don't leave anyone hanging on there.

I heard from Pam at Family to Family this morning-the program (and the blankets!) were mentioned in the New York Times!!! The link isn't working so I'll paste the text below in a moment.

Thanks again for all the love you're putting into those beautiful gifts. . .mine aren't anything fancy this time around but they're soft and squishy :) Will post pictures in a minute.

hugs to everybody, hope your summer is going well!

Ro

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From the "In the Region" Section

Ugandan Reaches Out to Hastings Organization

In early March, a 20-year-old Ugandan student sat down at a computer at Makerere University in Kampala, Uganda, where he was studying information technology, and sent an e-mail message to a small town in Westchester.

The student, Jerome Kasekende, the son of a pharmacist and an

AIDS activist, had been looking for a way to help poor families devastated by the epidemic. Searching the Internet, he discovered Family-to-Family, a grassroots volunteer-driven organization founded in 2003 by Pam Koner, of Hastings-on-Hudson.

The group started with 17 Westchester families mailing food boxes every month to 17 impoverished families in Pembroke, Ill., and it has grown to 27 chapters that provide aid to 375 families in 13 rural communities across America.

Mr. Kasekende was taken with the group’s premise of pairing a family in need and a family with enough to share, and he asked Ms. Koner for help starting a program in Uganda. In May, he became the chairman of Family-to-Family’s first international chapter.

Since then, he has been recruiting Ugandan families willing to buy basic items like rice, beans, salt, sugar and soap. He has also been collecting used clothing and setting up a process for distributing the supplies to local families in need.

Ms. Koner contacted an online network of American women who crochet for charity and asked them to make security blankets for Ugandan babies and young children. Now packages of handmade squares and rectangles in a rainbow of colors are pouring in from around the country, and Ms. Koner is coordinating an effort to send backpacks loaded with school and personal supplies for elementary-school-aged children.

“I am confident of what I am doing and feel happy about it,” Mr. Kasekende wrote in a recent e-mail message, “because helping is part of human life and we gain happiness out of it.” IRIS HISKEY ARNO

I am working on one too. I hope to get a few more together and I can definitely donate some squares.

Thanks Tandi- but Family to family doesn't have the means to assemble the squares so unless you can team up with somebody on your own to have the blankets assembled. . .then your squares would likely be better sent to one of the projects at the "Ville that is calling for squares.

I don't mean to see ungrateful at all I'm sure your squares are gorgeous it's just that they don't have anyone to assemble.

Even if you just sent one small blanket that'll be one more child that is comforted! Thanks again everyone for all you've done for this project.

hugs

Ro :manyheart

Thanks Ro. I did mean that I have squares I can send to someone if they are able to assemble. I also have some I am planning on making up to send.

Thanks Tandi- but Family to family doesn't have the means to assemble the squares so unless you can team up with somebody on your own to have the blankets assembled. . .then your squares would likely be better sent to one of the projects at the "Ville that is calling for squares.

I don't mean to see ungrateful at all I'm sure your squares are gorgeous it's just that they don't have anyone to assemble.

Even if you just sent one small blanket that'll be one more child that is comforted! Thanks again everyone for all you've done for this project.

hugs

Ro :manyheart

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still working on my blankies! Have had some trouble with my hands again and it makes it slow going, but I'm still working on number six! :)

Ro

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone!

I got an email from Pam at Family to Family this morning- they shipped the first batch of blankets off to Uganda, 30 blankets in all!

I'm a little surprised by the numbers because based on the emails I received so many people had volunteered to make at least a couple for this that it seems their count should be at least 50 by now. I wonder, are people holding on to blankies to wait to send them in later? Does anyone here at the 'ville have some for this project that you've got waiting to be mailed in?

If you do and you could send me an update email I'd sure appreciate it! I know there is technically no cut off date for the project I'm just trying to see if we're anywhere near their original goal of 100 small snuggle blankies.

I have seven finished myself I just washed them and will be sending them in soon- number eight is on my hooks still it's been one thing after another health wise for me lately and I haven't been getting much done crocheting. I'm going to get back to it though!!!

Thanks again to everyone who has made blankets for this, I know every one will be loved and appreciated!!!

hugs

Ro

p.s. Here's pam's email! :)

Hi Ro..

Just shipped off 6 packed boxes of Blankets to Uganda!!! 30 blankets in all!

THANKS!!!!

Best,

Pam

• 1 month later...

Look at this! I got this picture in my email- it was waiting when we just got home from our vacation (which was great but I'm still recovering from!*lol*)

Isn't this baby precious? I don't know who made this blanket but as you can see Family to Family made good on their promise to get them to Uganda! They were able to send 30 the first time- you all made that possible.

one+of+the+blankies.jpg

I'm going to finally after many health-related delays be sending them my blankets soon- if anyone else would like to contribute to these beautiful babies please send me an email and I will send you the address to mail to.

You made this possible! YOU rock!!!

hugs to all

Ro

Isn't she Pam? I could just kiss her sweet little face.

Family to Family also sent a bunch of school supplies for the older kids, the pictures of that were amazing too and I hope they'll put them up on their website soon.

Thank you again to everyone who has made blankets for this!!!

Ro

Wow! I don't know how I've missed this post, but ther was someone talking on T.V. about Uganda and the conditions there (and similar places). I did a google search, and I found crochetville! :) I've been a member here a long time, but was looking for something just like this, and I should have started on the ville lol. Anyway, I was wondering... This might have been answered earlier, but...

You know how here, there are bright colors for kids type blankets. Are bright colors popular there too? Some colors in some cultures are taboo, and I don't want to use something that won't be liked, you know? So, strange question, but if you know, that'd be great. I also LOVE that I can mail it to someone who will mail it overseas.

Anyway, I would really like an address, as I'm going to start "grannying" my scraps to see if I have enough for a small afghan. I'm thinking 36" square? Is that probably about right? Thanks!

Victoria

PS

Really, thank you for posting this!

Wow! I don't know how I've missed this post, but ther was someone talking on T.V. about Uganda and the conditions there (and similar places). I did a google search, and I found crochetville! :) I've been a member here a long time, but was looking for something just like this, and I should have started on the ville lol. Anyway, I was wondering... This might have been answered earlier, but...

You know how here, there are bright colors for kids type blankets. Are bright colors popular there too? Some colors in some cultures are taboo, and I don't want to use something that won't be liked, you know? So, strange question, but if you know, that'd be great. I also LOVE that I can mail it to someone who will mail it overseas.

Anyway, I would really like an address, as I'm going to start "grannying" my scraps to see if I have enough for a small afghan. I'm thinking 36" square? Is that probably about right? Thanks!

Victoria

PS

Really, thank you for posting this!

Victoria, I am having a really 'down' day today and you have no idea how much seeing your post cheered me up!!! Thank you for wanting to help!

Bright colors are wonderful. I had asked at the outset if there were any that should be avoided- and black and red were the answers I was given- as both colors symbolize mourning and grief in Uganda.

Family to Family will definitely follow thru on shipping them to Uganda- as the pictures show! :) They are a wonderful organization and this is a wonderful chance for people who want to donate in Africa to do so without having to shoulder the HUGE shipping costs. Fortunately Family to Family will do that for us :)

Thanks again and I will PM you the mailing address. You can make the blanket any size you want- from small snuggle size (I figure about 20" square for that) to larger- they'll find the perfect child to fit it whatever the size.

Thank you again!!!

Ro

I have a few afghans in storage I would be happy to send along.

Can you PM the address as well?

Also, it is okay that these are not from a pet-free home? Smoke-free, yes, but I can guarantee there are a few cat furs that I have tried to find that make it through the crotching process... They are being stored in plastic quilt-bags so they ARE dust free. They are adult-blanket-sized, not children's, but I am sure someone could use them.

What's the point if they stay for another several years in storage?? :blush

ETA: Even though they are bigger than childrens' typical afghans, they can be doubled up if they are cold... right? You still think worth sending?

I have a few afghans in storage I would be happy to send along.

Can you PM the address as well?

Also, it is okay that these are not from a pet-free home? Smoke-free, yes, but I can guarantee there are a few cat furs that I have tried to find that make it through the crotching process... They are being stored in plastic quilt-bags so they ARE dust free. They are adult-blanket-sized, not children's, but I am sure someone could use them.

What's the point if they stay for another several years in storage?? :blush

ETA: Even though they are bigger than childrens' typical afghans, they can be doubled up if they are cold... right? You still think worth sending?

Thank you so much LauraAnn! I am certain that your blankets will be well loved- whatever the size. I wouldn't worry about the cat hair in this case- being that they're not going to hospitals to kids undergoing chemo or anything (like most of the drives I've been a part of in the past) I'm sure your blankets will be fine.

I'm pm-ing you the address now. Thank you again SO very much!!!! :manyheart

hugs

Ro

20" at the smallest, wow! I recently have been loving doing those round ripple type patterns. Well, I took one skein of Bernat Baby, (the wavy yarn kind, you know?) and one skein of Caron Simply soft, held them together, used a K size hook, and it made a nearly 30" across blanket, and it was SOOO soft to work with too! :) They're very cuddly and soft, yet thick too. They only take about 1-2 hours to make one too. There's enough yarn left over for a small baby size hat too, for either this charity, or another. Anyway, just a suggestion for someone who wants to help, but doesn't have much time.

Victoria

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks so much for answering the new folks questions, salos! I apologize again for my absence from the thread I will make it a point to keep checking it much more frequently! Sorry guys!!! My health has once again been all over the place.

I finally seem to have broken through my crochet-block (is that like writer's block???) and I mailed my first 8 blankets off to Family to Family last week! I have since made three more with a fourth on the hook. I'm on a roll now and hopefully can crank out at least a dozen in all, if not more for this.

If you signed up at the beginning and didn't send them yet, don't feel bad! Just send them in! :) They will definitely be loved!!!

big hugs and thanks again to everyone interested in sending comfort to these sweet children. . .

Ro

Update: I just wanted to clarify for the record, I was mistaken when I said that all the blankets recieved by Family to Family had already been received in Uganda. Apparently they needed to find another shipper and ended up finding one via the Embassy, if you check out their newsletter they talk about how the shipping has turned out to be quite costly- but they did ship off about 40 blankets that are due to arrive in Uganda on the 25th of this month! So the picture that we saw is of one blanket that they managed to send through with a shipment of school supplies that went out earlier. But the rest of the blankets will be distributed in the same area.

I apologize for the confusion- this is the first I heard of the fact that they divided up the shipments. . . the important part is that they did ship and they will be in the hands of the children soon!!!

I knew it was going to be costly for them. . .when I had shipped blankets myself, individually, to Africa in the past I paid about 12.00 to ship 2 small blankies in a global priority Tyvek envelope. . .so I can only imagine the cost of shipping 40 blankets. . .

In any event, I am still making blankies for this and I can't wait to hear that the next batch has shipped. If I hear any updates from Pam on the shipment due to arrive on the 25th I'll let you all know, but you can always check their newsletter too for updates as they are updating there.

http://www.family-to-family.org/newsletter/index.htm#snuggle is the link to the current newsletter. . .

hugs to all

Ro

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick hi to everyone, I'm still working on blankies! :) I'm on number 11 or 12 I forget which- can't wait to send them off soon!

big hugs and thanks again to everyone who has contributed blankets for the orphans.

Ro

I sent one out about a month ago. It was very fast to make. I used two strands held together, one of caron simply soft, and one of Bernat Baby Coordinates. It was very soft and a little thick, but worked up quickly. This is a really great project!

Victoria

i will be happy to help how big do you need to the blankets be

They don't have to be big! 20X20" for a minimum I figure, as they are mostly for 'snuggling' and not for warmth per se. Thank you for wanting to help! I will PM you the mailing address so you have it handy should you make a couple for the kids :) thank you for wanting to help!

Thanks too Victoria for sending a blanket! I am sure that it will be very well loved.

hugs to all I promise to post some blankie pics soon!!!

Ro

Archived