Thank you everyone- goal for Uganda met, drive closed!

Ro

Great page Ro!!

I have all my yarn picked out and it is sitting in my Crochetville canvas bag ready to be worked on. In re reading your link, I think I will make smaller than baby size blankets--more the "lovie" size as you stated!!

I am excited to make these for the children. This is right up my alley. :):hook

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hey Ro, no worries darling,i didn't mean for you to coordinate it,. in fact already have someone to send the yarn too she promises to make the lovies for your cause. i am so glad to see you back here, i have missed you sweetie. your always doing for someone, what a angel you are. praying for gods blessings on all who are helping:hug:hug:hug:hug:hug

hey Ro, no worries darling,i didn't mean for you to coordinate it,. in fact already have someone to send the yarn too she promises to make the lovies for your cause. i am so glad to see you back here, i have missed you sweetie. your always doing for someone, what a angel you are. praying for gods blessings on all who are helping:hug:hug:hug:hug:hug

Thanks so much Vicki for understanding- and bless your heart for teaming up with somebody who can use your yarn and help this project out! Again I apologize to everybody for my poor wording of my posts here and likely on the website too with all that is going on around here crisis wise right now as you can see I'm getting too little sleep and dealing with a lot of stress. But the idea of blankies for these kids and all the kindness you're showing here not only to them but to me with all the welcome back notes. . .really helps a lot at a hard time, you have no idea.

Thanks everyone you're the best!!! :hug:hug:hug:hug:hug:hug

xoxo

Ro

Hi everyone!

Great news! I just heard back from Pam at family-to-family and their work with this facility in Uganda will be ongoing- therefore there is no cut off date she said that anytime anyone sends a blanket that it will be forwarded to the orphans!

I have to take a moment now to tell you about the young man that is the Family-to-Family contact in Uganda.

His name is Jerome and he is 20 years old. His mother has been a well-known AIDS activist for years over there is my understanding; and this amazing young man contacted Pam about starting the first Family-to-Family chapter in Uganda awhile back! Because he and a group of his friends feel that they just cannot stand by and do nothing and watch the children suffer. Isn't that extraordinary?

So he is working with his mother and with Family to Family and he had this message this morning for all of those who would be making blankets for this or who may consider doing so:

Thank you for the blankies I know the recipients of the blankies will be pleased.

Please convey much sincere gratitude to the people (volunteers) who are making the blankies.

My friends and we have come up with jargon "if we do not help how will others learn to help and who will show the example?" with this it keeps us going.. .

Thank you very much I am grateful for your help and assistance.

Yours Faithfully.

Jerome

What an extraordinary young man. We sure need more like him in this world to pitch in to make things better in any way that can be done for these precious children.

I have to yarn supplement today! Will talk to you all soon and thank you again to all who are helping out with this :manyheart

xoxo

Ro

Hi, I was just wondering if you know a date that the blankies are needed by? I'm working on a couple of projects that have deadlines, but this is another cause I would love to support...I see that salos is collecting squares to donate, so if these are needed before I think I can get a blankie done, i would at least like to send a few squares! Let me know and it's so great of you to get so involved in charity projects like this. I also love to see parents working with their children for charity...it's important to instill that desire in kids!

To reiterate for those just joining the thread: (Sorry to those that have heard this before!)

1. Any donations of squares to folks assembling them is a project people are undertaking on their own and is not being supervised/overseen by me or by Family-to-family (just to make sure everybody knows that!)

2. Each crocheter is responsible for the shipping of the blankets from their point of origin to Family to Family in the US, and then they will ship them to Uganda.

3. Pam said that there is no deadline: their work with this facility in Uganda will be ongoing and so when you send a blanket, it will be forwarded. I am sure that they will ship them in batches.

hope that helps, thanks so much for wanting to help out everybody!!!

Again if you need the address to ship finished blankets to just PM me as I am not going to be putting it on the web.

Thanks again!!! I got a couple pounds of love yesterday and also couldn't resist some really soft yarns too. . .my hook is going and I'm almost done with my first one, hopefully will be done tonight. I'll post a pic when it's finished! I doubled the yarn to make it extra squishy, it's cream and pink.

I'll be happy to put pics on the web too of any blankies you all make for this if you want to send them to me! Just be sure if you email me pictures to put 'picture of blankets' in the subject because I usually otherwise will not open attachments.

ONE more thing to ask: Please if you have questions not answered here or on my webpage, please email me and I will try to assemble them into an email and send them to Pam so she can answer a lot of them at a time. She has so many things going on as the head of this big charity, if i can save her inbox from getting flooded with email, I'd like to try.

Other questions that have come up:

I do not have any information about whether or not they can accept toys or other gifts to ship to Uganda. Blankies is what they've asked for so blankies are what I'm sticking to.

Same goes for clothing/books, etc. Right now they have asked for blankets, and so that is what I am sending, if anyone else wants to send other things, it's up to you but I can't guarantee they'll go to Uganda.

Thanks guys! time for more coffee, you all rock! :manyheart

Ro

First blankie pictures are coming in, and boy are they gorgeous! Check them out! I've been having issues with homestead this morning so if the link isn't working please let me know and I'll try to get it fixed ASAP.

Hope your week is off to a good start everyone. I will be tied up a lot this week dealing with a family situation but I will get back to your emails and PMs as soon as I can I promise. I'm caught up at the moment but that is always subject to change :lol

big hugs!

Ro

Those blankies by Cherri are pretty. I have 4 done but they are not as pretty. Mine are just a simple shell stitch and a v stitch. And they are all one color.

Pam, yours sound like the first one I'm doing! With my problems with my hands and all it is hard for me to do many color changes and stuff these days. I know that the kids will love your blankies too, I hope that you will share a picture of them! My first one is a shell stitch one that I am making with a big hook and doubled yarn, cream and pink in fact it's going to be a photo finish to see if I make it to the end with the skein of cream TLC lustre yarn, I still can't believe they discontinued it, that was my favorite brand!!!

Thanks to everyone who is making blankies every single one is gonna get squished with love by the child who receives it!!!

xoxo

Ro

Thank you so much Rachy! I'm sure it will be well loved.:manyheart

Hey guys, guess what? I got the coolest email this morning from a wonderful teacher who wants to get her students who crochet into this project! Stay tuned for more as I hear it- I just think that the idea of kids making blankets for other kids is just the sweetest thing ever.

I am 3/4 through my second blankie- picking up speed! I hope to finish it over the weekend as I'm tied up the next few days with family things.

Thanks for all you're doing for the kids!

hugs

Ro

I think this is such a wonderful project. As a mother of a 7 year old who still sleeps with her VERY pitiful looking blankie that she had as an infant, I understand the security that they provide. I have one made, and another one that I want to add an edging to. Thanks for offering up this project!

Kathy

Here are the 5 that I have made and will be mailing tomorrow.

Most of them are 19x19 with a couple of bigger ones too. The colors from the back are blue, dk purple, lt purple, a turquoisey blue and pink.

IMG_3228.jpg

Pam they're gorgeous and look soooooo soft! Thank you so much for all your love and hard work.

Family to family got their first box of blankets, I think they were Cherri's.

Pam at Family to Family said that they were "so beautiful" and that she was "so excited" about everyone's beautiful blankets for the kids.

You all ROCK!

xoxo

Ro

p.s. I'm putting your blankie picture up on the website Pam! :)

Thank you RO. I have to admit that they are very soft.

The pink and turquiose one are homespun yarn. The others are chunky.

When I wash them I use scent free detergent and scent free downy--lots of it!! They are very soft!

I know mine are just plain colored but I sure can get a lot of them made fast that way!! I don't always have the patience to weave in a bunch of loose ends. I am more of a one color gal!! LOL

My first two blankies are up on the blanket page! Nothing really fancy, but really soft and squishy! I'm working on my third one right now- it's the prettiest powder blue made of the Red Heart "Soft Yarn" (The one with the butterfly on the label) it's so nice to work with! I hope everyone is having a good week so far :hug

hugs

Ro

I'm having fun putting snuggies together. I'll post photos later this week. It's amazing how quickly a snuggie can be made.

Ro, thanks so much for sharing this opportunity with us.

http://family-to-family.org/newsletter/index.htm

Check it out! I didn't know that they were going to mention me at all in the newsletter I like to hide out behind the scenes- you guys are doing all the work crocheting along with me I'm just making blankies too! So please let me give the shout out to all of you where it belongs for all your love and hard work on the blankets!!!

Cherri, take special notice of the picture I think you'll find some familiar blankies there!!! Could that be one of Pam's in there too in the middle, the blue one? Or is that somebody else's?

100 Blankets. Whew. Tall order I know. . .I hope to make at least 10 myself I hope that we can make it.

between the ones that Cherri sent and the ones Pam (Crochettingmama) sent already we should be well on our way. . .and when that 4th grade class comes through with some that will help too!!!

Now I better get back to my hook there are blankies needing to be made!!! Thanks Pam you're too sweet about my blankies they're not fancy this time round but they're soft! I got some more yarn yesterday and look forward to finishing up my third blanket hopefully in the next couple days.

OH! And Jerome in the newsletter- he's the young man who is taking on helping those around him there in Uganda, what an inspiration!

Again, you all ROCK!!!

hugs

Ro

Here are some snuggies I've assembled for this project:

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h3/salos/Uganda1.jpg

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h3/salos/Uganda2.jpg

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h3/salos/Uganda3.jpg

The squares are not all mine. Some were extras from the beautiful afghans we made in Chase's memory. I don't think he would mind that some of "his" squares are going to orphans.

It sure is quick to make projects this small, isn't it! I'll mail mine when I have a box full. I'm glad there's no cut off date.

progress.gif

is exciting to see all these pretty lovies being made, i heard from my friend who i sent the yarn to that she got it and will be making you some blankies ro she promised me she would make you as many as she could with the box of yarn i sent her, so when she does is sorta part of me too lol i think anyways :manyheart:manyheart:manyheart:manyheart

Archived