New yarn shop looking for crochet input

There is a new yarn shop opening up in Lakewood, WA in two weeks. It is just two miles from my house! There is going to be a Knit/crochet night every Monday evening, and she is already doing this even though the shop isn't open for business yet! I have met the owner several times and she is great!! She wants to be very customer oriented! She is looking for feedback from crocheters about how to make her shop crochet friendly. So I said I would contact all the crocheters I know!!! I know this is something that is often talked about so I thought you all would have lots to say!!

What do you like in a yarns shop? What kind of Yarns? Hooks? Patterns? Books? Anything else you can think of? Just post here and I will show her all the feedback or let me know if you would like her email address. Thanks, Stormy

You are a lucky duck! Is this shop going to be your new home away from home? I always appreciate finished products showing how to use a new type of yarn. Magazines and pattern books, of course; and I always get thirsty when I shop.

"Good CUSTOMER SERVICE" when it comes to a customer coming in and asking about crocheting. So many times I have walked into a LYS in my town and have been treated so rudely just because I crochet. The first thing that comes out of there mouths is "You should be knitting, its so much prettier". It would also be nice to see some cool/hip crocheted items on display besides ponchos. Your are lucky to have such a nice LYS owner in your area.

"Good CUSTOMER SERVICE" when it comes to a customer coming in and asking about crocheting. So many times I have walked into a LYS in my town and have been treated so rudely just because I crochet.

I think many of us experience that, myself included. The first time I went into a new LYS, I was the only customer so the owner was very friendly. The second (and probably last) time I went in, she was teaching a knitting class and I was treated like a leper. Oh, yes, she showed me a few crochet pattern books but I felt as though I were being patronized.

So, I agree -- customer service is of utmost importance -- more than any of the products in the store. If customer service is topnotch, the store can sell ice to an eskimo.

I am a lys owner and have welcomed crocheters from day one. Her desire to be welcoming is a great start; including crocheters in the "knit night" is crucial. She also must know something about crochet, have a crocheter on staff, and offer classes in crochet. In addition to crochet models already mentioned, stock crochet magazines and books; good hooks and crochet accessories.

a wide assortment of yarns, all price ranges.

i agree with the Customer Service, who cares if you knit or crochet, we're still spending our money at your store, aren't we!?

books, leaflets, freebies

Bulletin board is a great idea too!

Lucky!! :drool

Stormy - this is bad news for my paycheck.... Please tell us the address and opening date and I'll put the word out here. Since we're so close to mutiple military bases - how about a military discount, when the shop's more established. I'd like to see classes offered, but know space can be a problem. Website with contact information is always good for when we need to find that mysterious skein of yarn.

Carol

Tacoma

for sure need customer service and be more in tune with both hobbies knit and crochet have an abundance of supplies for both not just one or two things for one and fifty for the others patterns discounts like buy 9 get 1 free or free patterns discount coupons like 40 percent off one item classes maybe a drop off point for project linus or some other organization in your area maybe have a contest once in a while to see who could come up with the nicest square or soemthing and get a free skein of yarn or hook or something just some ideas

I am a lys owner and have welcomed crocheters from day one. Her desire to be welcoming is a great start; including crocheters in the "knit night" is crucial. She also must know something about crochet, have a crocheter on staff, and offer classes in crochet. In addition to crochet models already mentioned, stock crochet magazines and books; good hooks and crochet accessories.

Ditto on every point! (except the part about being a lys owner :D)

Oh My!!! in our neck of the woods you say. I might have to venture over that way when they open up for business. It's too far away for the Monday night gathering of hooks and needles. But close enough I could see myself shopping there if it was worth my while.

What I would be looking for is a decent selection of threads. I do go out to a quilt shop in Yelm once in a while just because they carry a half way decent stock of threads. And I always stock up when I do. Would be nice if there was someplace closer.

Both Boye and Susan Bates brands of hooks as they each have different characteristics that appeal to different people. I hate to go looking for a hook and can only find the brand I am uncomfortable with.

Of course a varied selection of books and leaflets.

And I do agree with the others, some pieces that show the range of crochet. Both wearables and things for the home.

Patterns! My LYS has tons of knitting patterns set out on a big display table and few, if any, crochet ones.

And yarn in all price ranges. Sometimes I want to splurge, but most of the time I need to budget. I'd go to my LYS more often if they had more moderate-priced yarns.

I don't know the exact opening date yet, but I will let you know.

Yorkshire Yarns

7504 86th Street SW

Lakewood, WA 98499

directions from Bridgeport and Custer.

As you travel west on 74th cross over Bridgeport and 74th turns into Custer

as the road curves to the left stay in the far right hand lane. when you stay in the right-hand lane the road will force you to turn right onto Steilacoom Blvd. (you'll see an island in the road and you'll be forced to turn right.)

Go through one light. At second light turn right onto Phillips road. you'll see Chevron on your left after you turn the corner. my shop is right behind chevron in the Edward Jones building. turn left into the parking lot. Yorkshire Yarns is the first business in the building.

Stormy - this is bad news for my paycheck.... Please tell us the address and opening date and I'll put the word out here. Since we're so close to mutiple military bases - how about a military discount, when the shop's more established. I'd like to see classes offered, but know space can be a problem. Website with contact information is always good for when we need to find that mysterious skein of yarn.

Carol

Tacoma

One of the most inportant things is that every person who comes in the door is a customer- whether they crochet or knit, it doesn't matter, they still use yarn!

Another thing is that she should carry affordable yarns as well as the pricier ones. I have been going to my LYS for yarn because HL is getting so expensive it seems.

We have a micheal's and ac moore very close to us within three blocks of each other. A C Moore stocks more yarn, thou their women in the yarn department are rude to me if I ask about anything to do with crochet. One day I will probaly say something to the manager, if I have the time to track him/her down. It is their selection of yarns that keep me going back, not their staff.

How about everyone who works there needs both skills, knitting and crochet. They don't have to be experts in both but have some experience in both. Make sure she picks employees who will not be prejudiced against crochet.

Two weeks ago I was up in Phoenix so I went to the Fiber Factory. They had a great selection of yarns, both pricey and gorgeous but then more moderately priced Plymouth. But what blew me away was their selection of hooks (and needles). I'd never seen Addi hooks in person before, although I had read about them. And she had 5 different sizes/kinds of Tunisian hooks (I bought two cable Tunisian hooks, sizes 5 mm and 6 mm, just because I know these are not in Tucson--the week before I went to the chains and the two LYS here and they all had one Tunisian hook and that was it). If I wasn't buying a bunch of yarn for my mom for her Mother's Day gift (lavender Plymouth for her newly painted orchid bedroom; she wants to make herself something), I'd have bought some of the Addi hooks too. But now I know where it is and just may have to include a stop my next trip up to Phoenix. BTW, they had a 47-inch circular knitting needle, too, which my friend snapped up. So while these may not fly out the door, a good stock of them will induce people like me to buy more!

I've always wanted some kind of yarn club, too (or store club). You know, spend $100, and get a 10% off everything you buy day. Or spend $100 and get a $5 or $10 or whatever store gift certificate good on anything inthe store (so you could maybe buy that pricey book you wanted but couldn't justify). Something like that would build a regular clientele and would go a long way to dispelling ideas about LYS' stocking pricier yarn than the chains (even if the math dispells that myth in some cases). I worked in a privately owned bookstore, so I know firsthand that the chains get huge discounts these small stores don't and so they can't offer the same prices. Yes, service counts, but I think given the large amounts of yarn crochet projects use, even a little reward would endear her to her customers.

Oh, and how about some hours to accomodate us working women? My LYS is open on Saturdays, 10-5, just when I'm grocery shopping and doing the layndry, etc. How about a couple of later weeknights maybe? Or closed during one weekday but open on Saturday?

Patty

You know, if she's going to be very much pro-crochet, and she plans on doing mail order or have full-fledge website ordering in place, you may want to ask her if she's interested in advertising here at Crochetville. She can email admin at crochetville dot org if she's interested in requesting our advertising rate/info packet.

I know it's expensive to get a new store running, so she may not have extra advertising dollars right now. :)

But how wonderful to have the opportunity to share with an LYS owners what crocheters would love to see in a store!

The bulletin board is a good ideal, and finished projects, and free patterns. I used to go to one yarn shop in California where I used to live and would always pick up the newest free pattern along with tons of yarn.

Friendlyness is one of the most important things. The owner of the LYS shop here is a knitter, the whole shop is mainly 99.5% knitting. Anybody is welcome though for the open social stitching time we sit crochet and knit talk and everybody does a show and tell. Funny thing is that the knitters ask questions about the projects the crocheters are doing that is what makes this shop worth going to. I would be happy if they sold crochet stuff there too.

Some of us don't HAVE yarn shops to even dream about! But when I go

to good ole Walmart... this is what they are lacking...

They bring in new yarns and you buy one to test it out and by the time you

get back, they're all out and don't restock the same item again.

Their hook selection is always half empty.

Their THREAD SELECTION stinketh!!! It would be nice to have a bigger variety

of crochet threads to choose from.

And patterns, we can never have enough to choose from, eh?!!!

Hope this helps!

Archived