help and feedback needed for a "newbie"!

I'm a "newbie" to the VILLE and a relatively new crocheter. I'm working on simple baby ghans and lapghans for someone (i have no clue, to whom). I'm just learning many of the stitches so I'm staying with simple patterns to begin with. My question is: what seems to be the "yarn of choice" for afghans? I hate those fuzzy and scratchy types. So far, I've just stuck with Red Heart (Wal Mart is the only crochet supplier in my area). Is that an OK choice? And also, I've noticed the "cotton ease" that I can order online. Any feedback on this type? I like the fact that it does have some cotton in it (I am a COTTON nut!) Does this type flow easily in your hands or not? I just need some feedback, before I purchase it.

thanks a bunch!!

also, if there is anyone out there that has some "extra" time on their hand (I know there's not many), who would be willing to sort of be a crochet "buddy" for me by giving me your email address or AIM screen name? I just need help so much and there does not seem to be anyone around here that crochets that I know.:think

Personally I don't like regular acrylic for afghans as it's too scratchy for me. I've made one afghan with Lion Homespun and it was very cozy and soft. I'd do it again if I was doing a pattern that was simple but I wouldn't do it with that yarn in a complex pattern (personally). I find the yarn splits a lot and is slippery but ..

Caron Simply Soft is also nice .. as is the Red Heart Soft.

I like the Red Heart TLC, but they don't sell it at Walmart.

You can, however, order it at joann.com and you get a discount when you order more than 8 skeins, so when they offer free shipping, it's a real bargain.

The TLC is a good, all purpose yarn. I'm making a sweater out of it and an afghan.

For baby blankets, I like Bernat Baby Coordinates. Very silky and works up quickly when you hold two strands together. And, apparently, durable, from the feedback I've gotten on it.

I do NOT like Caron's Simply Soft. I made my daughter a BICO sweater with it, and it's too heavy, stretched out of shape and is fuzzy. I won't be using it again, no matter how soft it is.

Red Heart super saver, by the way, softens up nicely for afghans after a wash with liquid fabric softener. I wouldn't use it for sweaters; I'd substitute the TLC.

I love the Caron pounders for afghans. Nice and soft and at around $6 for 16 ounces of yarn - - - - I also like Red Heart TLC JoAnn's dot com has Caron yarn. I don't know where you can get TLC if you don't have a Hobby Lobby or Michaels in your area.

For help, all you need to to is post your question in the Clinic area and you'll get answers to any question! I've used it several times.

The Red Heart Walmart stuff softens up after you wash it. Really. I know it's the bottom-of-the-barrel type stuff, but I coughcoughloveitcoughcough! It's available, it's durable, it washes like a dream. I don't like it for wearables that much, simply because it's so darn heavy, but for afghans, it's the first stuff I go for.

Oh, one thing you can do with the Red Heart super savers, if they are too rough to work with (I made a hook case with "Monet" - a variegated skein and my hands were as red as if I'd used wool!), you can stuff the whole skein, with the paper wrapper off, but not unraveled, into the leg of a pantyhose, tie a knot in the open end of the pantyhose and wash in the machine on the gentle cycle (or hand wash, if you want).

Use liquid fabric softener, then toss in the dryer on low heat.

Softens the yarn right up and makes it much nicer to work with. Got that hint here at C'ville!

My goodness, to pick a favorite afgan yarn! Wal-Mart has zero selection compared to the weath of online discount websites. Soime of my favorites are:

http://www.discountyarnsale.com

http://www.yarnsale.com (this one is good to check every Wed. for the new stuff on sale)

http://www.knitting-warehouse.com

http://www.yarnsupply.com

Good luck picking & choosing. Trying out new yarns is one of the great pleasures of crocheting

:yes I' m a Caron Simply Soft fan, too ~ especially for baby things. I've got a big afghan WIP that I'm using it on too and just love it! Its turning out SO soft and snuggly! It comes in a lot of nice colors, too.

Our WalMarts around here are all phasing out their craft sections completely :eek:angry , so I've had to drive quite a bit farther to a Michaels or Hobby Lobby, but I would recommend online sellers, too. Especially once you find a yarn you know & like, then you can order it in tons more colors whenever you want. :yes

:yarnKrista

Oh, I also like Lion Brand Homespun & Bernat Soft Boucle a LOT although I've heard other people have had problems with them breaking ~ they're more expensive though.

I usually use Caron's Simply Soft...but am thinking about trying Bernat Satin. I've tried using Lion Brand's Homespun, but I guess I wasn't using a big enough needle, because I found it hard to work with. Then, again...I suppose it could've been operator malfunction! lol.

Aimee

No, trust me, it wasn't you...Homespun is very hard to work with. The only way I can work with it is to use a Boye Aluminum size N hook with it.

I'm using Bernat Satin now for an afghan (got it as part of a kit for Christmas) and I really like it.

Size N? Wow. I was trying to use a size "I" hook with Homespun. lol. No wonder.

I keep feeling tempted to order some Bernat Satin online...since Walmart, Michael's and Joann's out here doesn't carry it. In fact, Walmart is so scarce lately, it looks like soon there won't be any yarn at all! What's up with that?

Aimee

since I tend to crochet in bulk (multiple versions of similar patterns) I actually love Red Heart and prefer it to most other yarns. I find that the thicker yarns are not as easy to work with. For baby things thoudg I love Bernat Baby coordinates it works so well and it is easy to coordinate matching colors.

red heart is great for afghans. simply soft is nice but can split easily. I also enjoy using lion brand wool ease. it has a touch of wool to it. good luck on your crocheting! :cheer

You will find what you like for afghans... I like the redheart supersaver for them, mostly because they wash well and with some fabric softener they feel pretty nice.

You can IM me if your ever in need of someone to chat with... I'm online 99% of the time. But if your actually stuck you'll probably have better luck posting on the help thread, i always get super quick responses there!

In this forum you don't need a specific buddy to crochet with you automatically have hundreds.

As Jessica said just go to the help thread and you will get a quick response or just post here again. Someone will help you!

If you are still just learning I reccomend sticking with the Red Heart. It is stiff before washed BUT that keeps your stitches clear and easy to see. Also it's inexpensive so it's great to learn with. It's easy to manage, unlike a lot of the "fluffier/softer" yarns. They can be EXTREMELY frustrating for a beginning crocheter.

I would not recommend the cotton-ease right now. It's got a bumpy texture that can make stitches hard to see. If you're really wanting cotton go get a big cone of plain old Sugar and Cream and start there. Keep things simple for yourself right now. Get comfy with your basic stitches and basic WW yarns before you try anything "fancy...lol" Bernat (the "Super Value" skeins) makes a nice WW that is slightly softer than the Red heart and I like that too. The softer yarns tend to split more, IMO.

I use all kinds of yarns now, but I rushe into some "fancy" stuff and got real frustrated, real quick. Others may disagree but this is my advice for those just learning.

Best of luck and just ask away for any questions you have. There's tons of experience on this board.

WELCOME!!

From my limited experience :) I'm learning that any Caron yarn is going to be softer than the Red Heart equivalent. While I love simply soft, sometimes it's too thin (or expensive) for what I want. I recently tried the Caron Perfect Match (2.29/skein at Michaels) and love it! It's as thick as Red Heart, but MUCH softer, just not as silky as simply soft. I'm making my 63 squares 'ghan out of it.

Oh,a nd I agree w/everyone about the Baby Coordinates--it's wonderful!

If WM is your only choice for a store, then I'd recomment the Caron Simply Soft. It's a much softer acrylic than the RHSS and doesn't cost much more.

I've done a ton of afghans with plain old Lion Brand and it does soften up ALOT after washing, liquid fabric softener helps but it just gets cuddly and soft. It's also very durable and will withstand washing and drying with no problems. :)

dwigicb you have a pm coming :)

Archived