Dennim Poncho!

Addey

I'd been drooling over the Bernat Denim yarn for a while. I refused to buy any until I had a pattern in mind. :blush I travel a lot and have been wanting a 'warm' poncho to take on planes that could double as both blanket and clothing. Well, I found a pattern on the South West Trading company website. It was the Salt River Poncho. I decided this would be GREAT for the yearn. :clap

Well, I don't stick to patterns well. I did this time, mostly. I did everything as the pattern said, except since I was using a heavier yearn, it turned out wider, so I made it longer too.

I know it was just what I needed when I tried it on last night and my DH exclaimed "Oh, Baby! That looks gorgeous on you!!" :c9

It really looks a lot more like denim in person. I'm so happy with it! :D

You can see a picture on my blog at:

http://travelingratling.blogspot.com/2007/01/done.html

(The insert pic thing isn't liking me today)

Yummy! Thick and cozy! I love to wrap up on an airplane...especially our little jets that fly out of NE Wisconsin into the larger airports like Minneapolis and Detroit. What do you do about your feet getting cold?

Any chance we can see a picture of it on you? Then we'd know why your husband said, "Oh, baby!"

Addey, that is really a neat poncho. You are right that it would be nice and warm for travel.

I used the Bernat Denim (Heather) and it was the nicest yarn going.

I was almost sorry when I finished the scarf I was :knit

Thank you all for your compliments! I'll try and post a pic of me in it.

As far as my feet getting cold, well, my feet are always cold, even when I'm not on a plane, so I guess I'm just used to cold toes (DH is by now....). I may start taking a pair of fleecy socks I use as slippers around the house, but that seems like too much work. I fly out of a small airport, so I have to go somewhere to get anywhere, so I know what you mean about the small jets.

So beautiful Addey just the pattern I have been hunting for.Well done:tup

Ready to download the pattern a nice project for me .

I am a petite uk size 5ft and uk small 10-12 ,can you adjust pattern to make neck higher and not so low.

I am 5'4" myself. the neck as I did it was quite high (normal T-shirt high). To make it shorter and with a higher neck, keep it the same width and make it shorter or make it the same lenght and make it wider. I think my pannels were about 24 X 36 or 37. If you're on the slim side, I'd make it the width the pattern calls for, or a little less and shorter. I read somewhere on the net while looking for patterns, as long as you keep the difference in the sides 12", you'll have a good opening. I'll try and post a pic of me in it when DH gets home.

How easy is this poncho to make.

And how long did it take you?

I would rate this just above beginner. The only stitches used were sc, chain and dc. The only reason I wouldn't call it true newbie easy is the fact that you have to get both peices the same (I didn't quite) and you have to join them. I used sl to join and it looks great.

As far as time, I'm not really sure. I'm not the fastest in the world and I've only been working on it since Christmas week. I had a few plane rides and some downtime at my parents Christmas day and on New Year's Eve during a movie marathon, but I think I probably put in less than 20 hours.

Got the pattern just need to get some nice yarn. Colours I like are green taupes and brown.

Is there a good online uk supplier.

Thanks Addey

I really love this....you did a wonderful job on it. That is just the thing I need to make myself. Thanks for sharing.

Archived