"Stripey" Blanket crochet-along

creativepassage

Hello,

I am a very beginner crocheter, but did a sample of the blanket pattern and am able to do it. I especially like it with using black between the color rows.

Here is my question...Do I have to put an edging on this blanket when it's done? If so, what kind of edging would you suggest? I need something a beginner can do! :lol

Thanks for any help,

Jan

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hi yarngirl :welcome to the ville

you dont HAVE to put a border, but it may look nicer if you do...just do a single crochet or double crochet around the edge....dont forget to put 3 DC or SC (whichever stich you decide to go with on the border) in the corners :)

need any help just scream and we will come running!

HI ALL. i'm stuck on row 62. much to hot here to have a heavy rug laying on my lap tp crochet. do some thread work to keep my fingers mobile.

helen

i hope you & your family are ok with the fires down your way... its a stinka up here too:sweat even to hot to crochet, so it must be bad :yes

hey fellow aussies. yes its quite warm here as well. we have had a bit of rain which is great but its made it humid. Im off to the australian open tennis next week. I have tickets to the mens semi final on australia day and the womens grand final on the saturday, I cant wait.

Welcome Yarngirl.

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the welcome! Clare, on my sample, I tried to do three double crochets in each stitch, for a shell border and it didn't really look too good. I love your idea of the single or double crochet in each stitch with the three stitches in each corner. I did that on the sample and I liked the way it turned out. Thanks again for the help!!!!

I really love this blanket pattern and have recently being given boxes and boxes of yarn from someone who doesn't knit anymore. So this is a great stash buster project for me.

Thanks again,

Jan

My blankie is coming along nicely, I figure I'm almost halfway done! :yay (But then again, I'm only doing a little one...) :blush

The edging I'm planning on doing is a row of sc and then a row of reverse (backwards) sc. I tend to do this on all my blankies as it gives a nice sturdy, but soft edge and I find they don't stretch out so bad.

Hi Everyone,

I am on row 3 of the stripey blanket and loving it. It's easy enough for me as a beginner and I love the way it's turning out.

I have a question...Besides a huge stash of regular worsted weight yarn, I also have a huge stash of cotton yarn, such as Sugar and Cream and Lion Brand Cotton. Should I use both the cotton and regular yarn, or wait and make another blanket just out of my cotton scraps? I literally have way too much yarn and am running out of space. :lol That is why I love doing this blanket because I really need to make room for new stash. :lol

Also, could I combine Fun Fur or eyelash yarn with the worsted or cotton?

Thanks for letting me ask so many questions and thanks for any help you can give me.

Jan

Yarngirl,

It's your blanket, I would think you could do whatever you want with it. That's what I like about the stripey blankets, you can do whatever you want. I changed up the pattern a little for mine and I'm only using scraps of yarn, so I don't stop at the end of the row all the time, if I have more yarn, I turn and keep going. I need to get a picture up mine up here....going to do that now......

Sorry for the double post.....it's late, there's no one else one.....;) I finally got a picture of my stripey so far.....excuse my loose ends, I need to weave them in, but it's SUCH a chore, I'm dreading it.....:P Sorry the picture is so big, I resized it in photobucket, but it's still showing up huge here......I don't know why....

StripeyBlanket2.jpg

I personally would not mix the cotton and the worsted becasue of the way cotton shrinks a liitle when washed. As far as the fur and eyelash I have seen patterns where you mix them in with regular worsted.:hook

Hello-

Thanks for the replies and help. Tamugrad, your blanket is beautiful. Since I have so much cotton, I am going to make a separate one and that can be used year round. But I might try mixing the fun fur in.

Now I have another question and you can tell I am a real beginner crochet person..<G>

I am stuck on the blanket pattern. I did the first two rows, but now I am confused.

I am following the tutorial, and when starting row 2, they have me do a single crochet with 2 chains and then continue with a double crochet in each space, with 2 double crochets in the last space. I have that done.

Now I am starting on row 3...Do I start with a double crochet or do like I did on row 2 and start with a single crochet and 2 chains? If so, do I repeat row 2 for the rest of the blanket?

Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated. :yes

Thanks,

Jan

Hi Everyone,

Danielle, your blanket colors are wonderful and it looks great.

I wanted to thank everyone for their help. I am becoming a better crocheter because of all of you.

I was somewhat sure that repeating row 2 was the way to go, but I wasn't quite 100% sure. :yes

So thanks again for the help. I really appreciate it.

Jan

Tam and Danielle both of your stripeys are beautiful. I have completed a few more rows on mine from the last time I had posted a picture. I have a total of 23 rows done. I am moving along slowly on this one. But thats ok, I still need more scrap yarn to be able to finish it anyway.

I'm starting another stripey blanket. Still working on the original one, but I had some full skeins to use up, so I'm making another one. I was using the scraps from another project to make the first stripey, but that project us on hold (I ran out of my main color :eek ) therefore the stripey is on hold too.:loco I'll take a picture of this one when I get some more done on it.

Archived