I was given all this....

My best friends Nanna died a month or two ago. A very sad time for all. Her nanna had a grandson and his wife live with her, and after her passing her grandson's wife asked me if I would be able to use the yarn she had. I said of course, but she should make sure she really wants to give it away first. Last week we bumped into one another and she said she had a big bag at home for me, could I come and collect it. I was there that afternoon, and never did I expect so much stuff! I've only just had time to take photos!!

There is a big pile of cotton, including SIX unopened! Mainly #5 and #8 a few 4ply, 1 x 100

th_cotton.jpg

A bunch of yarn, and although I am not a yarn lover I do like the purple yarn here. There was a knitted piece in the green as well (any ideas what it was going to be?)

th_yarn.jpg

A big pile of Nylon ribbon. I hate this stuff. I don't think it looks nice at all! There is a partially knitted coat hanger cover still attached to 2 of the pink shades. No idea what I will do with it. Any suggestions?? There are some really pretty colours! Judging from the unopened packet, a lot of these are mostly unused.

th_DSC01600.jpg

But I am most excited about the Patons Bluebell Crepe! It is OLD!! The packaging says "1oz at standard condition" and made in Australia. Australia hasn't used the metric system since *i think* the 1960's!! It's pure wool and it looks almost braided. Definately not twisted! I have no idea if I will ever use it!!

[/url]

th_PatonsBliebellcrepe.jpg

Can't think of anyone who deserves such a nice gesture more than you do :) Maybe the nylon would work for little gift bags or actual bags? I suppose you're not all that keen on crocheted coat-hanger covers...

-- Michelle

Wow look at all that great stuff! I am very sorry to hear about your friend's Grandma, and no one wants to gloat over another's passing......on the other hand, I am sure that her family is happier knowing that they gave her stash to someone they knew rather than just sending it off to a thrift shop!

It all looks great, and if you want some ideas about the nylon ribbon stuff that is in so many cute colors, well you can make great totebags out of it, much like the one's made from plastic bags. With the Summer fast approaching they could make some great beachbags! I found this site, and there are some pattern books there .....

http://www.griffco.ca/craftlon.htm. It looks like this stuff has been discontinued....if you do not want it, I am sure others will as it is not readily available anymore.

as for the Paton's Bluebell, I think you HAVE to use it for something.........but wait for something special that only requires a small amount of yarn...because I do not think you will find more of it! Is the mysterious crocheted piece made from this yarn, can it be frogged and maybe reused to make a hat or scarf?

I am sure that you will have a lot of fun looking for patterns to make with all these pretty fibers!

as for the Paton's Bluebell, I think you HAVE to use it for something.........but wait for something special that only requires a small amount of yarn...because I do not think you will find more of it! Is the mysterious crocheted piece made from this yarn, can it be frogged and maybe reused to make a hat or scarf?

yes the knitted piece is the Bluebell yarn. I imagine it can be frogged, but how do you undo a final row of knitting?

I did think about a tote or something out of the nylon and I tried working with it and it was hard. Maybe it's just cos my hands are sore this week (dermatitis). I will have to pick it up and try again when my hands feel better. Any hook that works best? I think I tried with a 4mm

Hey Shell

With the nylon, from memory there is a particular way you have to stretch or pull it to work it properly. I will go and have a look in a book I have got and I will get back to you with it

I have never used it, but it really looks nice if you work it tightly....I suppose trial and error will be your best bet until you find the best size....I have NO IDEA about knitting:blush !

I am back - quite surprised I was able to find the book so quickly. :eek

It does say to stretch it gently whilst working it.. The pattern book I have got is called Creating with Craftlon, from memory I think I picked it up at Spotlight. It does have some nice patterns in it, and about 3 for bags. I must admit some of the patterns are pretty sad, but I would probably make 1 or 2 of the bags when I get around to finishing my other WIPS

Thanks Debbie! I think I will have to ask a knitter how to undo it!!

Samio, thanks for looking that up for me! If you ever see a similar free pattern to those you have that you think will look nice feel free to link me :) I don't have access to Spotlight (800km away and I am not one for mail order). I know I can buy this nylon stuff in Woolies, but I really don't think I will be buying more!!

Thanks Debbie! I think I will have to ask a knitter how to undo it!!

Samio, thanks for looking that up for me! If you ever see a similar free pattern to those you have that you think will look nice feel free to link me :) I don't have access to Spotlight (800km away and I am not one for mail order). I know I can buy this nylon stuff in Woolies, but I really don't think I will be buying more!!

I knitted long before I crocheted, so the frogging an easy question to answer.

Actually you frog a knitted piece the same as a crocheted piece. The first row comes apat just like the first row of crochet. It is not difficult at all.

As with crochet you just should be careful when frogging. The nylon stuff looks facinating.

You really got a great bunch of stuff there.

Enjoy it and maybe you will be inspired soon as to what to make.

I am so sorry to hear of the passing of Nana. :hug

Just a thought with the nylon, was at a craft fair recently and had seen what looked like the same. It was braided and then coiled into a circle approx. 4-5" in diameter and she was selling them as pot scrubbers and coasters.

Good luck with all your new fines :c9

:manyheart Oh Shell, what a WONDERFUL gift, knowing it came from a loving home! You DO deserve it, and I am sooo happy for you :hug . That cotton, is it thread cotton? If so, I ran across a bag of it at the goodwill, it has DMC crocheted cotton #5 and it makes up WONDERFUL bookmarks, in my case I didnt have any of the same colors to make anything big, as they are smaller rolls, but you truley recieved a treasure:manyheart

I am sorry for your friends dieing. But, you sure got a lot . A nice remembrance of her. I would make some things with this that are special to keep in remembrance to her. :hug to you. I love all the thread. pinkroses

fyi australia still uses the metric system and "oz" is standard system not metric

:blush umm... yeah! I was having a convo with nanna last night about this and we stopped using the IMPERIAL system in the 70's! lol. It was our monetary system that changed in the 60's from pounds to dollars. So anyhow... it's still really old. You can tell from the label is nothing else lol

Shell sorry to hear about your best friends Nanna you sure did get a lot of nice stuff.

Wow that nylon ribbon would make great pot scrubbers i buy the nylon netting in bolts and have to cut it into strips I wonder where i could find it in ribbon:think i have never seen it that way before, must look:ebay I so love this place i get the best ideas from here:manyheart Shell is the ribbon more like the nylon netting or more like tulle?

Shell sorry to hear about your best friends Nanna you sure did get a lot of nice stuff.

Wow that nylon ribbon would make great pot scrubbers i buy the nylon netting in bolts and have to cut it into strips I wonder where i could find it in ribbon:think i have never seen it that way before, must look:ebay I so love this place i get the best ideas from here:manyheart Shell is the ribbon more like the nylon netting or more like tulle?

I'm not sure what nylon netting is like.. but it isn't really like tulle. tulle is more honeycomb looking and in my experience much stiffer! this stuff is so infamous in Aus used on bed dolls and coat hanger covers and such. GROSS!(you have to see them to understand, thy're nothing like thread bed dolls). but yes, scrubbies would work!!! Here's a close up for you. The "ribbon" is about 2.3mm wide, but you do need to pull it a bit taught when working so I have showed what that looks like too. Hope this helps! If you can't find it we can here in Aus so let us know!

th_DSC01604.jpg th_DSC01605.jpg

clickable

Edited to add:

Ebay.com had nothing, ebay.com.au had 2 (local postage only :eek )

http://search.ebay.com.au/search/search.dll?from=R40&satitle=craftlon

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/CRAFTLON-NYLON-CRAFT-RIBBON-NEW_W0QQitemZ180054170993QQihZ008QQcategoryZ36590QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

So i googled it!

http://www.griffco.ca/craftlon.htm

• 1 month later...

What a great gift they gave you, when my Grandmom passed on I was given her steel hooks and many patterns. That was over twenty years ago, my aunt just found many yarns and items she made in her attic and again they were given to me and I am thrilled.

Linda

How about using the nylon to make bath scrubbies. this is a pattern using nylon plastic canvas yarn but i would think the nylon ribbon would work too http://hometown.aol.com/lffunt/bath.htm You are truly blessed to have someone think about you when left with a bunch of older materials.

Chrissy

Archived