Anyone for a slipper CAL?

SeaShelly

I read this whole thread through yesterday and immediately sat down and made myself a pair of slippers. My dh saw them and asked me to make some for him next. I started a pair for him, but they turned out huge, so I had to frog them. And today my dd came home with some yarn for me to make her a pair of slippers. I used this pattern for my own slippers.

http://members.aol.com/elegantcrochet2/slipper.html

These really did take about 25 minutes, start to finish, and are very simple.

This is the pattern I tried for my dh:

http://www.angelfire.com/ca4/crochetlady/don_slippers.html

I started with a chain of 28, like the pattern said, but I didn't see where the pattern gauge was, so I couldn't check it and I finished the entire sole before I realized it was huge. I then tried 24, then 20 as a starting chain, and they were still way too big. I finished one slipper before I frogged it, and Dh liked the way it looked, so I am going to try again with a shorter starting chain and fewer rounds for the sole.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That manly slipper pattern is nice. We had that same 'huge' problem with a similar pattern that a couple of us tried.

Let us know what you end up with for a starting chain so we can try your pattern. I do like that style of slipper.

A starting chain of 18 made the length about right for my dh's size 10 1/2 foot, if I did the 5 rounds. However 5 rounds still seemed too wide and once I started putting the sides on, the entire thing looked huge again, just not as long. I did a lot of decreasing as I did the sides, but it was still really loose. I've made and frogged another slipper, and I'm getting discouraged with this pattern. Guess I'll sleep on it!

Gardener, when I redid the other pattern I used two strands of yarn and depended mostly on sc and hdc I have a very wide foot and I still got my sole finished in three rounds. I wear a man's wide width Dr. Scholl's walking shoe - the only one that doesn't kill my feet so I really do mean a wide foot.

For this style, it is all in that sole; the sides are just straight SC all the way with a couple of decreases if they get out of hand. It was easy to finish that upper part by just joining the yarn in one side where I wanted it to start and then chain across to the other side and join.

I will look for my notes on the one I redid - it might be a good start for you...

man's 7.5 to 8 row 1

with black using two strands - really comfortable

ch 18

2hdc in 2nd chain from hook

hdc in next 9 ch

dc in next 6 ch

6 dc in end chain

dc in next 6 along the other side

hdc in next 9

4hdc in starting ch. - join

Row 2

work sc in heel area and hdc all around the rest of the stitches increasing to keep the sole flat.

Row 3 sc all around adding increases as needed to keep the sole flat. Break off black

Sides: join other colour at heel back- join every round

Row 1: work 1 sc in every stitch decreasing 1 st at heel back

Row2 and other side rows: work on sc in every stitch decreasing if needed at instep as needed. In your final side rwo decreas 1 st on each side of heel area

Work upper as per your pattern or join yarn in instep area where it would be comfortable, chain across to other side being somewhat snug but not tight, join to other side.

If you need help to join along the side while working across the chain stitches, just yell :D

This made a really nice, snug slipper

I finished one of the slippers finally. It actually wasn't too bad once I got through the kinks of it. Now my challenge is to make the other one the same size. LOL. I'm going to work on the other one later. Since I need to go off to bed now. I'll post pics of it tomorrow.

Gretchen, I love the color of your slippers!

Thanks Darski for your pattern notes. I will add a bit to the starting chain (I need to come up with a 10 1/2), and try your method. I did use two strands, and with 5 rounds , my dh could've gotten both feet in that slipper. He said he will wear any style that I come up with, but he really liked that style, so I'd like to make it work out. I'll try it again this evening.

I still have this skein of the chunky yarn so more slippers are coming - sorry made the pictures too small... oops my bad !

My first beading effort:

doubslipper.jpg

And this is in case I forget who I am :heehee

named.jpg

well my pretty yellow slippers have been returned for modifications

they are way to huge for everyone we know who has big feet! :lol

my tension is never good. so i made sure that i took my time and didnt pull tight or anything. so i'll be frogging them and redoing them in a tighter stitch.

but everyone loved 'em

Am wondering if anyone has made these. I'm done with the first flower motif top and it seems to be using WAY more yarn than called for....any feedback? Anyone? Anyone?

And since I'm planning several pairs as gifts, I'll cetainly come back to let you know how they turn out!

Hi Dawn, I don't do any felting patterns because I live in a building and laundry is expensive to do around here.

I really like them and might try making some in a real size that isn't felted.

I still have this skein of the chunky yarn so more slippers are coming - sorry made the pictures too small... oops my bad !

My first beading effort:

doubslipper.jpg

Hi Darski did you use a pattern for these or is it your own pattern I just love them.

I didn't have a pattern per se but I just followed the usual slipper pattern that starts in a circle then divides and ends. The white trim is just sc and chains with the beads after 3 chains.

Hi Dawn, I don't do any felting patterns because I live in a building and laundry is expensive to do around here.

I really like them and might try making some in a real size that isn't felted.

Hey Darski!

I think they would work very well unfelted, especially if you worked 2 strands of something heavy worsted or bulky with 2 strands. They are double soled so I bet you could make them nice and cushy that way. Down-scaling the flower might be tough, but I think it would be do-able. Thanks for the comment, I'lllet you know how they turn out.

I have just had to delete a post in this thread that provided links to a huge number of pages that had scanned images of copyrighted patterns, posted without the permission of the copyright holders, as far as I could tell.

Posting links to sites like this is a major violation of our forum guidelines related to copyright, and can result in a member's forum access privileges being revoked if it happens more than once.

I have already contacted the member who posted the links to let them know why we have a problem with links to that type of site and request that she not post any more links like this in the future.

As a reminder, if a site contains patterns that are scanned images out of magazines, books, even free pattern sheets available at craft stores, do NOT link to those sites here. Any such links will be deleted, and if you do it after I contact you and remind you this is a serious violation of our guidelines, I'll have no choice but to remove your Crochetville membership privileges.

If you ever want to post links to a site and you have questions about whether the links can be posted here, please send the links to me in a PM. I'll be happy to check them out and let you know whether or not they can be posted here. :)

Archived