Anyone for a slipper CAL?

SeaShelly

Hi guys .. I'm new here and I have been wanting to make some slippers so what a perfect opportunity!

But .. I'm a total dunce when it comes to making anything* round in crochet. I just have not been able to master that task, so I'm making slippers out of squares. Sounds silly huh?

Square Slippers is actually a knitted pattern but I'm doing it in crochet, using a simple tunisian stitch so it matches the knitting. It's working up pretty nice once I got all the details figured out.

Anyway, just thought I'd share and say that I'm working right along with you guys and I love all the patterns that have been posted. Perhaps I'll be able to join you in the round someday. ;)

*(seriously, I can't even make granny squares .. no joke .. )

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Taligator have you checked out Crochet Pattern Central? They have a whole page of slipper patterns, (<-- there's the link!) all free. There was some pretty easy ones on there; I bet you could find an easy one.

And, that's what a CAL is for, to help out people when they can't figure out a pattern. In fact Darski is helping me out right now with one, and I've been crocheting for 17+ years.... :P

Tina

Taligator, I remember that pattern from my search for knitting patterns. it could easily translate to single crochet slippers.

Lion Brand has a neat square pattern that does not need to go round. You do need to be signed in though

http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/cwet-pix.html

Tina, you are very welcome. I still like the look of these slippers but the sole came way up over my foot. should have told me something right there. i am going to start again from scratch following the intention of the pattern

I have to ask why she made the join at the front. I first thought it was so the upper portion could be done but she broke off for that.. It seemed like a good idea at the time

Thanks for the welcome! It's nice to see an active forum .. so many just aren't. :)

The "problem" I have with round things is doing things into the ring. It just never comes out right. I can chain and then slip stitch to join and then it says to do x number of y into the ring and then from there it's all downhill. I don't know WHY, I've tried so much to do these things but there is either something wrong with my method or I'm just meant to be a square kind of person. ;)

After I figured out the guage on these slippers in the square it's super quick to make them so I'll just keep on working with these and once I've done them then I'll tackle one of the other patterns.

O.K. Liz, you learned how to post pictures-love those slippers!Now I am reading up on the how to's.The slippers I made for my sister I already mailed to her without taking a picture.However, I am going to make more(I have 3 other sisters,my mom,my daughter,my nieces and my husband all which need slippers for holiday presents.

love those slippers.. that is a great colour.

Which pattern did you use for these?

http://kaleidesigns.com/crochet/patterns/archive/sock001.html

tina, the slippers are for my 23yr old, who got so excited on saturday morningin when i showed her the first one! so i will bring them to work with me tomorrow (we work together) and give them to her then.

leslie, the uploading of pictures..... well, since this is a family board.... anyway, i ended up having to use photobucket.

i wanted to try these http://www.marloscrochetcorner.com/ribbed%20slipper.html next, but i'm not comfortable down sizing, so they wouldn't fit me or my granddaughter.....i wear a 6 1/2 and she's coming up fast and furious at age 10 to a 5!

Liz the two patterns do look similar. Very nice. :)

Leslie next time don't forget to take a picture. :wink

Darski those cowboy slippers are cute. I don't know if I'd make them; maybe for one of our kids, but they don't wear the three pairs I already made them as it is...

I actually started a second pair of slippers (before I finished my hubbys'); but that's because he was hogging the computer all night (don't have printer ink...) I have almost one slipper done for me, though. :hook

Tina

Has anyone thought of doing these?

scroll to bottom for a link to the pic...

http://hometown.aol.com/fourleafcl1064/page69.html

***...you ladies keep coming up with the cutest slippers!!

I'm only a Beginner-Intermediate crocheter, is that pattern too difficult, ya think?

It might be. (Although not having tried it I wouldn't know....) There are a whole lot of easy slippers at Crochet Pattern Central, though. And the two that Liz posted links for look pretty easy, too. :)

Tina

I don't remember it being very difficult from my reading of it. I am going to try it to see how it goes becasue I just saw the cutest set done in pink. (slightly different pattern but pink!)

Well I am () this close to being done with my hubbys' slippers, but.... :( The one I finished kept coming off his foot when he walks.... It is a little big on him. :( (again.) So.... I don't know. I might wash it in hot water to see if that helps. Or tie something around the edges? He said something to me last night about it so maybe he has an idea....

I feel disappointed; I really wanted to make him a pair of slippers that would be nice... (He says he likes them, but the fact that they keep falling off...) Oh well.

Thanks for the insert instructions Darski, they really did make a triangle and went in there nicely. I'll post a picture of them later after I get this second insert sewn in....

Tina

You can make the insert longer and so it will come up higher on the instep.

One trick I used with a pari of slippers I was given was a small elastic thread woven through the top of the opening. it doesn't show but it keeps it just snug enough to stay on

Darski I did make it longer, I think twelve rows. That wasn't the problem, it was that the slipper is too loose on his foot. I might try the elastic. I think I have some in my sewing box. (It's just *sewing*- ugh...) :P

Tina

Archived