Granny dog coat

tinkerpuppet

My dog Emily will be well dressed this winter! I just finished up yet another coat for her, made from granny squares. I based the pattern on a coat my mom made for her first Boston Terrier about 20 yrs ago. I just made granny squares and copied the placement my mom used.

And to all those ladies (and men) who make blankets and other items from granny squares, I soooo admire you. Just these few squares just about did me in. How anyone has the patience to join more than this I can't understand. But I absolutely adore how this came out, it was worth it!

I woke Emily up to model this for me, so she's pretty sleepy in the pics. But she looks oh so warm :D

th_Grannycoatd.jpg

th_Grannycoatb.jpg

That is sooo cute. My brother has a pit bull ( very sweet dog!) that just aboslutely freezes in this South Dakota weather in the fall and winter. You gave me an idea to fashion her a coat of her very own! Besides she would look too cute in it! Thanks!

Also your Boston is ADORABLE!

That's a great idea, why didn't I ever think of it? Most patterns intimidate me but I'm pretty good at the ol' granny square :)

Angel (my best mate) will enjoy a new winter coat...

Emily looks beautiful in her outfit :)

-- Michelle

Okay, That coat and especially your Boston Terrier are beautiful! Would you care to give the instructions??? Please pretty!!!

Like how many granny squares, what size hook you used, and how many rounds to your granny squares. My Miniature Pinscher is another dog who absolutely freezes in the winter time and before you know it, winter will be here. :dog

How sweet. I think I need to make one for our miniature dauschaund. She absolutely hates to go outside in the winter and wouldn't ya know it -- winter already seems to be here. (They are talking snow today):thumbdown . I just love the colors you used too. Great job.

I used 20 squares for Emily's coat, but this is a great way to make a coat as its so easy to just add more if you had a bigger dog (the original coat only had one belly square, I added a second one as my girl is a little curvier). I used a three round square with a sc edging, then used a sc join. I just use the holes in the corners of the squares for button holes (I keep the neck one closed, its easier to just slip over her head).

If anyone else makes one, I'd love to see it!

th_Grannycoate.jpg

I used 20 squares for Emily's coat, but this is a great way to make a coat as its so easy to just add more if you had a bigger dog (the original coat only had one belly square, I added a second one as my girl is a little curvier). I used a three round square with a sc edging, then used a sc join. I just use the holes in the corners of the squares for button holes (I keep the neck one closed, its easier to just slip over her head).

If anyone else makes one, I'd love to see it!

th_Grannycoate.jpg

Jennifer, Thank you so much for your instructions and picture. I just had to start one so my mini pin won't be so cold this fall and winter. When I am finished I will post a picture. My colors are very similar to yours. I am using Red Heart yarn Soft White for the centers, Pale Plum for the next row and Medium Purple for the last row. :hug

How sweet! My brother has a Boston Terrier, and they put him in sweaters all the time (and they live in L.A.!) What a cool idea. It looks so nice on her, too.

Tina

I also showed my mom and now I'm stuck making her yorkie one of these. I think she will look too cute in hot pink! Especially since her name is Pebbles after the Flintstones. Thanks again for sharing.

I used the pattern that Jennifer used for her dog and graciously posted! Check out Asia my Miniature Pinscher! Ain't she cute!

asia_sweater1.jpg

asia_sweater2.jpg

Archived