Tx Crochet Retreat! CANCELLED see post 101

i think i might talk the owner of our local yarn shop and see if she will let me put up a note about the 'ville and maybe see if anyone else would be interested in a retreat.. Some of those that have to drive might try this and could possible share the cost and the drive..

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi All, I am Charlotte from Andrews. I live about 100 miles south of Lubbock. I am interested in attending this get together. My husband has a son and some grandchildren living in Flower Mound and he could drop me off then go stay with them. Sounds like a workable deal for me. I don't have any suggestions at all. I can tell that you ladys are going to put together a really good crochet retreat. I am now putting pennies into my piggy bank to have lots of yarn money and travel money. Sounds like a lot of fun. :jumpyay

Yes, I think Big Sandy is East of Dallas.

I wonder if there's a good LYS somewhere near the center of the state.. so it would be as equi-distant as possible for everyone....

Hi everyone, I'd be interested too, depending on when/where. March would probably work best for me (in April, I get busy at work and can't take as much time off, plus there's lots and lots of festivals in April on the weekends in Austin that I like to go to). I think Dallas is about as far as I'd want to drive, although a little bit east of Dallas might allow for some of the Houston-area folks (like The Crochet Dude) possibly to attend. I have no idea how far away Dallas is from Houston, since I always drive from Austin (and I hate long road trips, truth be told, and well, anything over 25 miles is a lot of driving for me!) :lol

So far, on this board and post, I have a count of about 15 people. Here is one idea. However they only offer a Friday- Sunday package. The place is http://www.windsockinn.com/800x600wsindex.htm

Here is the text of the email:

Hello!

I am trying to put together a Crochet group weekend retreat. I think we may have about 20 people. Most of us do not know each other. So, I have a list of questions!

1. Can you accomodate a group this size with separate sleeping quarters?

We have 2 facilities on the property - our Inn and our Cottage. At minimum occupancy our Inn will accommodate 12 persons at one per bed, 3 rooms will accommodate 2 persons and 2 rooms are designed to accommodate 3 persons at minimum occupancy. Our cottage will accommodate up to 7 "crafters" in 4 bedrooms.

2. If so, can you please give me a Saturday check in, Sunday checkout price structure for each person?

We do not offer that 1 night package. Our weekend retreats are either Thursday - Sunday or Firday through Sunday. The price structure for these retreats are seasonal. The pricing for our Benchmark Friday - Sunday retreats ranges from $137.50 - $167.50 per person. Cost of additional accommodation only (no meals provided until Friday dinner) for Thusday 3:00 PM until Friday 3:00 PM is an additional $40.00 per person.

3. Can you provide other meals at additional cost? If so, can you give an idea of the charge per person for extra meals? (Lunch and dinner on Sat.)

The pricing includes all 5 meals from Friday Dinner until Sunday Breakfast.

We do not have a date in mind yet, but are working out the costs and logistics to see if we can make this happen.

Good luck. Retreats can be alot of fun for those who attend. Stand apprised, however, that the 1 night retreat is very unprofitable for the host venue so you will find difficulty in obtaining one. And another word... our pricing can be defined as middle of the pack pricing. Some venues are less expensive - some more expensive. Be cautious of the cheap deal. They can be the beginning of a terrible experience.

Thank you for any assistance you can offer.

No Problem, mon!

Now, what I see with a bed and breakfast is the issue of sleeping with strangers, so to speak. I am still looking, will keep you informed.

From what I have gleaned from talking to three different places, after the first of the year will be our best bet to get reservations. So, the idea of February might be the target month. What do you think?

I just looked at all of their info and to be truthful, I think it looks great. It is located about 50 miles of Dallas and it looks like it's set up primarily for crafters!

As far as multiple people in a room........is that really a problem? Did we all not go to camp or something of that sort? I honestly don't mind sharing a room or even a queen sized bed with another woman, we are all adults anywho! Some rooms have queens, some have twins, some have both, I think it would be fun! Gives us a chance to be 'young' again. (Yeah, yeah, I'm only 38 sometimes I feel ancient!).

The pricing is very reasonable as well.

Also, if the reservation was made for First Monday Trade Days weekend, that could be interesting too. For those who don't know, First Monday Trade Days is a place with a lot of goodies...;) . Everything from 'Texas' stuff to clothes, to flea market type stuff, and it's free to get in to. It falls on the weekend right before the first Monday of each month. In March the weekend is March 2, 3, 4 AND March 30, 31, April 1 is April's First Monday weekend. Now, of course, this is just a suggestion.

I think this would be a great place though!

Hi everyone, I'd be interested too, depending on when/where. March would probably work best for me (in April, I get busy at work and can't take as much time off, plus there's lots and lots of festivals in April on the weekends in Austin that I like to go to). I think Dallas is about as far as I'd want to drive, although a little bit east of Dallas might allow for some of the Houston-area folks (like The Crochet Dude) possibly to attend. I have no idea how far away Dallas is from Houston, since I always drive from Austin (and I hate long road trips, truth be told, and well, anything over 25 miles is a lot of driving for me!) :lol

I think March is a great time of year for this, especially early March, I think. The weather is great that time of year.

This B&B is even closer to the Houston and Austin areas than Dallas is. And it does include, what looks like, some pretty yummy meals.

My neighbor just told me about this b&b in central Arlington. It only has 7 rooms but also has guest cottages. And complete spa services. It's The Sanford House: http://sanford.masterlink.com/aboutus/index.aspx

It is beautiful and a spa place would be great, but it is out of my price range, unfortunately. For jus the weekend it will be $300 and another $200 or so for any of the spa packages. Looks sooooooo lovely though.

My neighbor just told me about this b&b in central Arlington. It only has 7 rooms but also has guest cottages. And complete spa services. It's The Sanford House: http://sanford.masterlink.com/aboutus/index.aspx

I will email for info about corporate/retreat rates at the Sanford. What I saw while researching, is a group will get a better deal. Can't hurt to ask! I will add the Arlington spa to the email list for tomorrow. I have several more I have bookmarked and some others I have already requested info on. After a response from them, we'll see which places give our group the best for the bucks, and a place that will be enjoyable for all.

One little funny.. I called this beautiful looking place close to Waco for price and info. You cook for yourself, bring your own food, clean up, and for the privilege of staying at their ranch, the weekend is only $5900.00. My eyes bugged out, but I held in my initial response,"You've got to be kidding me!" Nope, not that one! LOL!

One little funny.. I called this beautiful looking place close to Waco for price and info. You cook for yourself, bring your own food, clean up, and for the privilege of staying at their ranch, the weekend is only $5900.00. My eyes bugged out, but I held in my initial response,"You've got to be kidding me!" Nope, not that one! LOL!

:lol Ther older I get the less I hold my responses You're a better woman then me :lol That's ridiculous I suppose they want you to mow the grass too.

I'm new to the group and noticed this post and thought I would add a few comments~~

Why not find out the areas the people are from then look for a localized place that is reasonable~

I noticed several from the Metroplex area~I have heard that there are several nice yarn shops around there....why not find a reasonable hotel to stay in??? Call and see if you could get a group of rooms and they might offer you a nice special. There are usually conference rooms that could be used~heck you could even get joining rooms and just hook and chit~chat!!

If there are some in the Austin/San Antonio area there is some really nice places in Fredericksburg area~you could opt for a hotel or I know that there are several B&B 's that are houses with several bedrooms, I can think of a few that sleep 10 or 12.....that would be lots of fun too!!!

Are there any ladies that live in central Texas area??? near Sweetwater/Brownwood/Abilene??? There are places around here too!!

Just a few ideas~

mgf~ :yay

Just to throw out another place to muddy the waters:

There is a place in Pilot Point, on Ray Roberts Lake, called Lantana Lodge. It's actually within the State Park up there. It's absolutely beautiful out there. My department went there for a team build. And of course I took my knitting.

The food was good and the pricing is decent.

It is a bit north of Dallas. Acutally, it's just East of Denton, so it is in an area my friends like to call "**** Near Oklahoma".

http://www.lantanalodge.net/index.htm

Any ideas are welcome! We are at the initial stage of coming together to see who may be interested in such an event! So, bring on the comments, suggestions, and most importantly the enthusiasm! I will inquire into anything that looks like it can accomodate our needs and let everyone know what I find out. Thanks so much for responding! :manyheart

Just to throw out another place to muddy the waters:

There is a place in Pilot Point, on Ray Roberts Lake, called Lantana Lodge. It's actually within the State Park up there. It's absolutely beautiful out there. My department went there for a team build. And of course I took my knitting.

The food was good and the pricing is decent.

It is a bit north of Dallas. Acutally, it's just East of Denton, so it is in an area my friends like to call "**** Near Oklahoma".

http://www.lantanalodge.net/index.htm

Now that would really work for me because I live in Denton, but I'll go wherever it's convenient for everyone else.

I am up north near Lubbock so everything is going to be a ways for me to drive but that is okay. I am so glad that this may happen!!!

I hear ya on the drive fom Lubbock. My brother lived in Levelland and it is a haul. Fly on SW if ya can get a deal. Of course their deals are not what they used to be.

I have inquired at 12 locations, I am awaiting answers, so I can compare location, cost and availability for our size group. Ya know, it is funny some of the replies I have gotten. One place lost their manager and can't find a replacement, so they can't book a retreat. This was from the owner. What? Hunh? :think This is a learning experience, that is for sure! And quite comical! :lol:P

Good evening to all!

OK, I have researched several venues as suggested on previous posts. I have researched venues such as B&Bs, B&B retreat centers, and hotels in North Texas from west and north of Ft.Worth, south to Waco, east to Canton. I have noted the location of each poster that has responded. The majority of folks showing interest are located north of Waco. So that is why I have concentrated on the areas listed above. However, anybody that can come is welcome, you just have a longer commute!

However, we have to decide which route to take as far as the type of venue. I have made a list of the pros and cons that I thought about between a hotel or B&B retreat venue.

Bed And Breakfast/Retreat Centers

Pros: :D

Cost- at $170.00 average for the weekend, Friday to Sunday

Meals- Included Friday dinner, Saturday breakfast, Saturday brunch, afternoon snack, dinner; Sunday breakfast and brunch. Tea and coffee are “on” all day. Refrigerators for misc. drinks and snacks brought by us.

Just us- we can hang out in robes and curlers if we want, no dressing up, no makeup if you don’t want. No housekeeping people knocking, waiting for you to get out so they can clean, no kids.

Scenery- most venues are in quiet, peaceful surroundings with a view

Check in and out times- Flexible and generous on Sunday.

Dedicated crafting room- good lighting, tables for our stuff, comfy chairs, plus common areas to sit and chat or crochet available to all anytime.

Safe- private property with owners on site, parking on site

Cons: :(

Communal baths and rooms- most have twins and queen beds in a room. Baths are private in some rooms, some not.

Book Early- most places are already booking for 2007, dates are limited. Deposits are 50% at least and some with payment up front, with cancellation fees.

Set meal times- the venue chooses

Limited non-crochet activities unless you want to drive.

Hotel with conference room

Pros: :D

Separate rooms with private bath

Eat whenever, where ever- your choice and cost.

Pay separate on group rate rooms.

Activities more numerous if you want to drive.

Shorter cancellation times- usually 48 to 72 hours

Cons: :(

Cost- from what I have researched and talked to people at a moderately priced venue, you are looking at $160.00 to $210.00 for the room alone for the weekend. That is not counting the conference or meeting room, which I have not gotten a response on yet. So, you are looking at anywhere from $200.00 to $250.00 per person so far, not including meals. They will usually give a continental breakfast, cater dinner at $25.00 per person on up depending on the menu. That is a moderate Marriot type hotel. Unless you want a Motel 6 venue, which to me is not a retreat, it’s surrender!

Traffic, noise- hotel is usually on a busy street or on the service road of the highway.

Rigid check out - Sunday is 11:00 or noon.

Meeting room is scheduled- not available for all day or evening.

Snacks and drinks- your cost, plus hoping the ice machine works.

Public in common areas- no privacy for our group except in meeting room.

Safety- anybody around in parking areas, etc. at your own risk.

I guess ya’ll can tell I am for the B&B route. In my opinion, a retreat evokes thoughts of peaceful, unhurried, time to crochet with like minded crafters- without any chores, no driving unless I want to and someone else to cook and clean! Ahh! I can envision it now!

So, please look over this list and give your opinion whether you prefer B&B retreat or hotel meet.

I know this is long post, but I want everyone to be informed!

I'm definitely for the B&B!! I love the idea of a peaceful weekend where we don't have to do anything but 'be there'. No worrying about meals. No cleaning. Nothing but 'gabbing' and crocheting. I LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!!

So, as you can tell, I vote for the B&B.

Thanks for doing all the research Selena. I know what a big job it is!!

WOW!

Thanks for all of your hard work and research! You deserve big hugs from all of us who are wanting to participate. :hug

I also vote for the B&B route. I have 3 purposes in mind for wanting to do the retreat in the first place...

1. have time to really crochet while making new friends who appreciate the art, seeing other people's projects, and hopefully learning new techniques. :D

2. get away from 4 children, 1 husband, 1 dog, and a house that is never caught up on cleaning, cooking, shopping, or laundry. :P

3. go somewhere relaxing and "away" where the pace is slowed down, I don't have to fight traffic, look perfect everyday (which is a stretch anyway in my case), and fight the crowds at restaurants. :c9

I am not so modest that I can't share a bathroom with someone for a couple of nights...at least, I don't think so! :blush

Just my opinion...

Becky

WOW!

Thanks for all of your hard work and research! You deserve big hugs from all of us who are wanting to participate. :hug

I also vote for the B&B route. I have 3 purposes in mind for wanting to do the retreat in the first place...

1. have time to really crochet while making new friends who appreciate the art, seeing other people's projects, and hopefully learning new techniques. :D

2. get away from 4 children, 1 husband, 1 dog, and a house that is never caught up on cleaning, cooking, shopping, or laundry. :P

3. go somewhere relaxing and "away" where the pace is slowed down, I don't have to fight traffic, look perfect everyday (which is a stretch anyway in my case), and fight the crowds at restaurants. :c9

I am not so modest that I can't share a bathroom with someone for a couple of nights...at least, I don't think so! :blush

Just my opinion...

Becky

I agree with you Becky!! Only I have 3 children, 1 husband, 1 dog, 8 cats and a house that is never caught up on cleaning.....etc

I too am not too modest to share quarters with someone. It'll be like being on a sleepover like when we were teenagers....:P Yes, I'm a 38 year old teenager at heart.....:lol

I'm just so excited about this whole thing!!! :yay

Archived