Tx Crochet Retreat! CANCELLED see post 101

I love the idea of the B&B! But as a college student living in Austin who already is in so much debt from tuition loans, the cost of traveling and even the $170 average cost would mean that I couldn't eat for a while so I unfortunately won't be able to make it to the crochet retreat wherever you all decide to have it. :sigh Maybe I'll attend a crochet retreat someday when I'm done paying back my large amount of student loans or have a full-time job... :rolleyes

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i am with the b&b route too. i dont know about the rest of you but sharing a bathroom is nothing new to me,,even the dog thinks she needs to follow me in when i take a bath hehehe....thanks for all your hard work so far and if i can help dont hesitate to let me know... I want everyone who can to be there and enjoy

even the dog thinks she needs to follow me in when i take a bath hehehe....
:lol :lol :lol

I sure know the feeling. If my 16 y/o daughter doesn't follow me in to the bathroom, a cat (at least one or two) has to follow me in and let's not forget about my 7 y/o son.......dh has said that there have been times when he's has to pull my son out of my butt......lololol It will be like a dream come true going away for the retreat. I'm not sure I've EVER been away from 7 y/o (Austin) for than one night. :eek

Becky, you said it! I am hoping to get a vote from everyone that has posted that is interested in going. Maybe send a PM. Cause once we have a head count, the narrowing down of places begins. I will have to visit the ones I think might work. I don't want to go in anyplace blind and not know what to expect. Jchllm has offered to assist in the tours, so we'll have two opinions on a facility. Folks, I am way stoked! And thanks for the encouragement!

i have already voted but want to say THANK YOU!!!!!! i appericate so very much how much work you are putting into this. I also collect salt and pepper shakers and our chapter hosted the National Convention for the club in Ft Worth. Boy was it alot of work.. Once again if i can be of any help just send me a note at lovewithcorgi@yahoo.com

beth

Thanks Beth, I appreciate it! I am working on narrowing down some venues and will make a road trip by the middle of the week. The beginning of the school week is busy due to footbal game (Tues.) and just getting the kids in the groove. Especially this morning,they were on fall break last week. So getting them out of bed, well you know how it is!

Anyhoo, I am thinking of some questions I will be asking ya'll about other aspects of the retreat, but gotta get my ducks in a row first, and some more votes! Happy Monday to everyone!

i am with the b&b route too. i dont know about the rest of you but sharing a bathroom is nothing new to me,,even the dog thinks she needs to follow me in when i take a bath hehehe....thanks for all your hard work so far and if i can help dont hesitate to let me know... I want everyone who can to be there and enjoy

------------

I also like the B&B option. As for sharing a bathroom, well, my kitties make sure I'm never alone, no matter what I'm doing in the bathroom (they even follow me into my closet to make sure I make it out alive)!

I guess when you live in a house with kids and animals you're used to your privacy being minimal :lol . Then again, what we do with that privacy if we had it? Be bored!!! :):D

I'm not sure if I saw a "where". With me it's going to depend on exactly when. March/April/May are really big travel months for me when it comes to work.

I'll keep an eye on the posts. I'm hoping I can come. It sounds like fun!

WOW! :) I just would like to half jump in with the rest of you. I have a 6 month old son (who will be almost a year when this thing gets going) so I probably wouldn't be able to go alone. However, I like the B&B idea! :) I was wondering if we went somewhere like Fredricksburg, where there are sooooo many B&B's, I was thinking of taking my hubby and son (we'd probably get our own room, so the baby crying doesn't disturb anyone's sleep)? I know, you all are probably wondering why, but I just think my son is too small to leave just yet, and I really would like to go! :) Anyway, I'm still thinking about it, but would really really love to go! Maybe by then I will be able to leave my son for a night or two with my hubby? Anyway, so I'm sort of 1/2 way in on this. I'm in Houston, but location isn't a big deal. I really think it's a great idea, even if I can't go! :)

Victoria

>> I wonder if there's a good LYS somewhere near the center of the state.. so it would be as equi-distant as possible for everyone.... <<

Haven't finished reading all the posts, yet, but had to poke my head in to comment before I lose the thought -- fibro-fog really bad lately. :-}

This sounds like a wonderful plan. I live in SW Arlington, too -- close to the I-20 and Cooper Street area (the intersection that houses at least 2 to 3 good yarn sources, and The Parks Mall). There are also a number of fairly new and nice hotels that are budget-friendly located there, as well, along with tons of restaurants and shopping (Super Target and Super Walmart are right there, too). And at the Parks Mall there is a huge court that houses food, stores, movie theater, and ice skating rink, with lots of open seating that includes plenty of tables and chairs for most everyone. Being located right on the highway, it is really easy to access and exit.

Just a thought. Am looking forward to reading the rest of the posts and hearing more. :-)

>> My neighbor just told me about this b&b in central Arlington. It only has 7 rooms but also has guest cottages. And complete spa services. It's The Sanford House ... <<

Okay, I've finally caught up on the rest of the posts and agree that the B&B idea sounds wonderful. I love what the Sanford House offers and the fact that it is also handicap-accessible is important for me (I have to use a wheelchair most of the time). Looking forward to hearing more of what others have to say. :-)

Hey, did a tour of this place today, it is near Canton.

http://www.bigrockranch.org/800x600contact.htm

This is a pretty place, the minimum number of people is 20, so we would have to get recruiting to fill the twenty spots. There are big tables to spread out on and nice bedrooms. They have no openings in March, only the 13th-15th in April. Anyhoo, take a look.

I am going to this place tomorrow. It is just north of Denton.

http://www.lantanalodge.net/index.htm They are booked until April 27th.

Friday, I am going to a place close to Granbury, south of Weatherford. I don't have that place bookmarked so will have to get my papers to find it again.

Just want everyone to know once a site is selected, deposits will have to be forthcoming almost immediately as most of these places have limited date availability.

I will let you know the results of tomorrow's tour!

This sounds like such a great idea! I'm in Houston but my husband is in the Irving area for business so I'm always up for Dallas-area events. :) I like the B&B idea. :)

I live in Waco but can't come to Dallas as I take care of my elderly parents & cannot leave them for very long. Maybe some others who can't come to Dallas would like to set up a similar thing in this area. Please let me know when your dates are. I would not want to clash with your group.

I live in Waco but can't come to Dallas as I take care of my elderly parents & cannot leave them for very long. Maybe some others who can't come to Dallas would like to set up a similar thing in this area. Please let me know when your dates are. I would not want to clash with your group.

Don't know the dates yet, but I have tentative availability for one for April 13th-15th. We will have to prepay and there is a minimum of twenty people. So, I will be contacting each person individually to try to get a true headcount. Then, I still have some others to tour. It is looking like April for most venues. Most are booked until April. So, if you want to set something up for your area, you might want to start looking. I looked at several in the Waco area, and finding dates, cost and a venue that will work for a large crochet group is tricky, as I am learning!

Anyhoo, I am driving to venues and looking and learning. I hope to have a venue and date narrowed down. Once the venue is selected, we will have to move fast with the deposits. First deposit amount will be between $30.00 to $50.00. More later!

Shebear suggested the DFW FiberFest 2007 which is in April. Do you want to go that way or would y'all rather keep in quieter?

Your input.........

Fiber Fest would not be too rowdy for getting together.

It is in Addison and easy to get to from around the Dallas area. Many hotels of all types of price ranges. Several yarn shops in the area if you want to venture out and do not mind driving. This event is very much a well rounded fiber event. I also think Lily Chin will be there.

Am going to another place tomorrow for a tour. Here is the link:

http://www.agardenretreat.com/

Moving along with phone calls and emails.

I have sent everyone that has expressed an interest in this retreat either an email or a PM outlining some of the things I have found out and things we will need to address.

Archived