Tx Crochet Retreat! CANCELLED see post 101

Several of us Texan members have been discussing this. We want to throw this idea out here to see if there is an interest. We are looking for somewhere in North Texas to go for a weekend of crochet and visiting. :hook We have not determined a time frame yet, but those details can be discussed if there is enough interest.

This kind of retreat can be a lot of fun and give us an opportunity for friendship in real life! :manyheart So far, I have some ideas of what type of places, but need input from ya'll to see where might be a good place for this kind of event!

I am going to post this in a couple of threads that are already out here on the board to get as wide an audience as I can. So let me, TX CrochetLover, jchllm or beth eathorne know either by posting here or by PM.

Note: Just so you know, this is just a group of people from Texas who are members here that want to see if we can get together. This is not a board sponsored event.

4040.gif

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I left a post in another spot but I'll do it here too........

I would love love love to do something like this and would be one of the first ones in line to come for the retreat.

I don't know of any place specifically to go but I can sure make phone calles, etc, if you need me to.

I think it would be just soooo much fun!!!

hahahah a spot close to everyone is Texas is a hard thing to do LOL - we are way too big

Now that's the truth... if anyone from austin is going to go and I could hitch a ride with them or if anyone wanted to pick me up from an airport, I would definitely go. I don't have a car and I'm too scared to ride the bus all the way to north Texas myself but I'll fly by myself. Please give the dates/times and location well ahead of time so I can make arrangements and such.

I'd be interested. I know it would be $ but what about the Gaylord Texan in S Arlington area? Some place that has a nice area to sit and visit while corcheting - and lots of good food without driving miles and miles

I'd be interested. I know it would be $ but what about the Gaylord Texan in S Arlington area? Some place that has a nice area to sit and visit while corcheting - and lots of good food without driving miles and miles

I don't think it's such a bad idea. After all, it will just be for 1 person, not the whole family!! And after all, don't we all deserve to be pampered??

I do think it should be put 'on the list'.

I just looked and it will cost about $500 for a room for a weekend. Likely a bit too pricey for most people..........myself included.

I guess what we really need to do is kind of pick out a date........I would suggest around February or March. Time to get through the holidays and recouperate from them....lol

Then pick an approximate spot......I do think Arlington would be a good spot, or even Dallas (not just because it's closer for me...I really don't mind travelling to get there), because it's a big place. Fort Worth....

Any other suggestions?

Too bad that Annies in Big Sandy is closed.. or I think it is? that would be a perfect place for crocheters to gather.

I just looked up Big Sandy........I thought it was farther South, but is it east of Dallas?

I just looked and it will cost about $500 for a room for a weekend. Likely a bit too pricey for most people..........myself included.

I guess what we really need to do is kind of pick out a date........I would suggest around February or March. Time to get through the holidays and recouperate from them....lol

Then pick an approximate spot......I do think Arlington would be a good spot, or even Dallas (not just because it's closer for me...I really don't mind travelling to get there), because it's a big place. Fort Worth....

Any other suggestions?

I can do Arlington, too and please note that Yarn Heaven is in Arlington :)

You might want to check out this website:

http://home.earthlink.net/~mlhobbies/dfwfiberfest2007/

I know these people and the fest was great last year. This year they are having great teachers again.

Oh and don't worry about the knitters.....they're crochet friendly and besides the local CGOA members always show with all the great stuff they've done this year. The friday night fashion show was fun so bring anything you're proud of and show it off.

I was also wondering about a B&B. That may be a relaxing way for us to get together.

Shebear suggested the DFW FiberFest 2007 which is in April. Do you want to go that way or would y'all rather keep in quieter?

Your input.........

I would love to :manyheart My only thing is our only family is usually only together on the weekends & schedules around her are insane so it's very hard for me to plan anything in advance as something always changes. Even our vacation this yr was cancelled twice :( I just can't say for sure ;)

i dont know about the rest of you but i am excited to see this much response..i understand about trying to get so many things done

we'll just have to make plans and see what happens

this is great!!!!!

I am glad to see so many great ideas! I want to go to the Gaylord!!! But, I cannot afford it! But I am looking into corporate retreats. B&B's are beautiful, but also you share a bed or room. That is something we need to discuss. This is in the very early stages of discussion and if you think of ideas, definitely pass them on! Once we get a tentative head count interest, we can go from there. Any websites or info you run across, link us up here on the thread!

i dont know about the rest of you but i am excited to see this much response..i understand about trying to get so many things done

we'll just have to make plans and see what happens

this is great!!!!!

I agree that the response is fantastic and we'll work it all out!

Hello Everyone...

I would definitely be interested in something like this! With 4 kids, I welcome any opportunity to "get away" :yes and if time to crochet is involved? Well, what could be better than that? :c9

My only issue might be the distance. I am in San Antonio and just depending on DH's schedule and everything, the long drive to Dallas area might not work. But, then of course, with plenty of notice...he might (probably) be able to work it out. If you're wondering, 2 of my 4 kids will be both be two years old in the spring and that's a handful for Daddy to handle sometimes...of course, I do it all day, everyday! :P That's why crochet keeps me sane ;) .

Plus, (and this is sad), I've never, ever had a friend or known anyone that was into crochet (well, except my grandmother and great aunt who taught me, but that doesn't count and neither one are with us anymore). Most of my "friends" kind of think it is a silly, old-fashioned kind of hobby and I am sure that there a couple who probably roll their eyes behind my back. Knitting and quilting and scrapbooking are the what the cool moms do now-a-days if you ask them. Oh well, I'm uncool then.

Keep me posted and thanks for PMing me Lisa!

Becky

Archived