Crochet/knitting section at the swim meet!

I went to my daughter's swim meet last night with my son. I had my crochet in my bag, but I was helping my son with his homework. A lady came and sat next to us and took out a pretty peach crazy stitch afghan to work on. I soon pulled out mine and asked her if this was the "Crochet Section". She giggled. Then another lady came and sat with us and she knitted! I haven't had that happen before!

It was very nice to see other people bring their stuff with them to work on while watching the swim meet. I plan on bringing it every time.

One other note. A friend of my daughter's asked her what I was doing, and Lauren said "Oh, she crochets everywhere". The friend thought it was cool. Pretty good compliment from a teenager!:lol

Go Tigers, Go! The varisty won 117 to 68 and the JV won 172 to 46. It was a good night!

Linda:manyheart

I crochet at soccer games, too, partly because I get too nervous just watching (as if the game really mattered; as long as he is playing with his friends and gets his hot dog after the game he doesn't worry about the results).

I usually take mine to Doctor appointments, Swim lessons and just about anywhere else I am waiting for extended periods of time, and the old men usually nudge their wives and say "look, she's 'knitting' without even looking" and the wives say "yes, she's 'crocheting' without looking". Once you get the pattern you don't have to look too much at what your doing.

I take knitting :knit or crochet projects with me EVERYWHERE I go (there is always something in my purse, cus you just never know what may happen, or how long you may be somwhere). I Just flew :flying to NJ and back over the Labor Day holiday; had connecting flights etc. and would have gone insane :loco if I did not have something to do. I always take my work with me to my children's games. I am not sports minded, but want to support my boys so I am actually killing wo birds with one stone :slingshot.

I have not had the pleasure of seeing anyone knit or crochet in public for years, other than my relatives. For such a resurgence of these arts, I have not seen them being done. :think

Spelling edit.

It just felt good to be with others who participate in needlearts. At my son's school, I am the lone crocheter!:(

But I love watching my kids participate in sports, while keeping my hands busy.

Linda:manyheart

I take either crochet or a book every where.....i go crazy without them....it is a good conversation starter and when i see my patients doing some kind of hand work i always take an interest....what we do usually doesnt take all of our concentration so we can tell what is going on at the soccer game or swim meet!

I too take it everywhere! I have even had young girls ask me all kinds of questions about crocheting. I've let girls try just the chain stitch and you can tell they are hooked! It makes me happy to see the tradition keeps going.

The title of this post interested me. Being a swimmer myself, I'd have a hard time deciding between crocheting or jumping in the pool!

I wonder if it's possible to crochet underwater...

I took mine to a Dr. office. I got to go alone (!!), as DH had some time off. And since this was the annual, I was doubly glad...can't leave a toddler unattended. He was running late, so I got in a good hour!! A cute old couple came out, and then later a sweet lady, both impressed that someone so "young" was crochet...of course, he thought it was knitting, but it was okay. And then I put it down...had to read the pattern again. Poor lady thought she had messed me up! ;) teehee

• 2 weeks later...

I just love the fact that crochet projects can be so portable and done just about anywhere. Hats, scarves, baby sweaters, grannies, etc. can all be toted around and done when you have a few minutes. Or a couple of hours!

I love to sew also, but I can't tote my machine to the dentist office, etc.:lol

:manyheart

I agree. Every place I go I take yarn or thread. I have a bag that I haul around that alway carries a fairly simple project in it. Something that won't cause me any problems if I am interrupted and have to put it away.

I had to reload it last night and managed to walk out of the house with out it. :bang Spent an hour waiting at the dental office reading stupid magazines!

• 3 years later...

I take my crochet stuff to my boyfriend's swim meets (which last FOREVER) and finally he just laughed at me and bought me a new tote bag to put all of my stuff in. It's nice to know that he isn't ashamed of what some people would call a "granny hobby".

Hmmmm, I think that boyfriend must be a keeper. How sweet and thoughtful of him to buy you a new tote to carry your crochet and stuff in. I just love taking my crochet with me everywhere. I usually keep one small crochet project in the works to grab whenever I am going out. Just a project that needs one hook, one yarn clipper, and some yarn and away I go.

I take mine on buses/trains. Once on a train I sat with 2 woman, one :crocheting, one did needle point. A man sat next to me and started knitting! Everyone was staring, and he said "Don't you just hate it when people look at you as if you're crazy" :lol. Too bad he was going to the airport and back to N.Y. :(.

Ellie 13

I take mine places too. I try and keep a small project in the van at all times. Making dishclothes or squares for a baby afghan is easier for me. Sometimes I have a bag to put the project in and sometimes I just use a wal-mart sack.

I take my projects with me all the time. When I lived in NY and rode the train every day I had my yarn with me all the time! Whatever after school activity my daughter is in, my yarn and hooks come with us. I may as well be occupied if I am going to sit there too. Right now she is doing tae kwon do and another mother has asked me to teach her how to crochet since we sitting there together and she likes the look of the crocheted projects! So we found an easy pattern and she bought the hook and yarn and I started to teach her basic stitches! You never know who will want to learn!

I don't worry what the other swim team parents might think. I'm giving up my summer Saturdays for these meets, and just because my daughter wants to swim does not mean I'm an avid sports fan. I like to watch HER heats, but I don't have to watch everyone else on the team. I'm confident other parents aren't avidly watching my kid either. Honestly, I think it's good for 'them' to see us crocheting or knitting at events such as these..a reminder that the 'game' isn't ALL.:crocheting

The flip side of that is, some people will think you're horrible because you're not paying total attention to your son's indoor soccer game and watching his every move. Ask me how I know. :blush

And people wonder how I can crochet on the bus and not miss my stop. It's called constantly looking up to check on where I am, and pretty much knowing the bus route all the way...

I'm another one who carries crochet all the time. I know that people don't seem to like it much when I crochet at DD's basketball games, but I usually restrict myself to before it starts and half-time. She's constantly looking at me to see whether I'm watching, too - so I've learned to curb my habit during her games. :P

I always have crochet at the Dr's office or anytime I have to wait for kids. I keep a bag ready to go and often just leave it in the car so that it'll be there next time. The other day DD had a Dr's appointment and I got ends woven into 12 squares while we were there! (I had already made them at home, I just packed them to do ends.) It was great! Ends are so tedious for me, and I felt like I'd really accomplished something during that office visit! :lol

Archived