The Few, The Proud, The Crochetiers...

Every once in a while there is a new thread here at the 'ville that discusses the response from the men we know to crocheting. Sometimes it's a great response with the man wanting to learn. Unfortunately there are instances where crocheting is considered only for women in some men's eyes, which sadly can lead to a man-child not learning to crochet, despite the desire to do so.

Here is an article that I just discovered in the US Marine's news about one gentleman that crochets, a LOT, and eerily FAST and I'd like to see any guy TRY and make fun of him!!

Crocheting Marine

:bounce

Great article. I keep telling my DH that he needs to learn to crochet, he had to "retire" because of health issues. He thinks he's too "clumsy", but he has learned to chain!

That wasn't my point....100 afghans in a few years???? Good grief! I'm impressed, but then fast crocheting isn't my forte!

Thanks, Drew

Nice story! I wish they'd have shown pictures of his afghans. Over a hunnerd afghans in the last five years? Does he do anything besides crochet, LOL!? I couldn't make 100 afghans in my lifetime!

I agree, pictures would have been very nice to see.... and wow, He is fast, one can only dream......

___

cindy

It's nice to see that men are "coming out" of the yarn closet. :clap Now if only I could convince my dh. I wonder if the wives/girlfriends/sig. others of these men bother them when they are counting their foundation chain? :shrug Or is that something that only my hubby does? :yes

I really enjoyed that article, Drew. Men have always been very good working with fiber. There's a great tradition in seafaring of knot-tying which is nothing but macrame. Crochet is very similar, in fact, the Solomon's knot is practically macrame!

My grandson Mikey is fascinated when I crochet and if my hook and yarn are lying around, he'll insist that I pick them up and make some stitches so that he can watch. He's pictured on the first page of my website www.wolfcrochet.com (scroll down). His dad is no longer living with him but when he was, he discouraged his interest. :(

I really enjoyed that article, Drew. Men have always been very good working with fiber. There's a great tradition in seafaring of knot-tying which is nothing but macrame. Crochet is very similar, in fact, the Solomon's knot is practically macrame!

This reminds me of watching a show on one of the quasi-educational channels (History, Discovery, something like that) about excavating an ancient village somewhere. The archeologists were able to identify almost everything.. except for these small square-ish pieces of rock that they kept finding.

Finally, they asked one of the native people who was helping them with the excavation... and he looked at the archeologists as if they were nuts! Of course he knew what it was.. his people still used them. It was a tool for making fishnets. The stone or rock was the guide that they knotted the cording around. They showed the man using one of the ancient stones to make a fishnet.

I've always thought that that rock or stone might have been a precursor to crochet (or maybe not.. but it's an interesting thought).

Did anyone notice that the article says that crocheting/knitting ranked ABOVE scrapbooking? Not that you'd notice by the shelves of my local craft stores....

That's so funny! I thought EXACTLY the same thing!

My son is five... OOPS!!... 6 today! And he (along with his 3 sisters) wants to learn to crochet. He is the only one who refuses to "finger crochet". He says "That's not how you do it mom." He's so funny. I haven't figured out a good way for him to hold his hook or yarn, but we keep trying.

I'd like to see his work also because his production rate has me curious. If he's doing it just 1 color? or just a 1 piece (just 1 large afghan...like ch 104, turn, dc in 3rd ch from hook across type)? or 1 large granny sq? or if it's individual sqs pieced together? etc. Though, he's estimated 100 afghans in 5 yrs..... that's over 260 wks, so would be nearly 3 wks per afghan.....(if i did the math right that is :) lol)

Sandy the over analitical, :D

Hi Drew, I've seen your posts (crochetlist? CGOA message board?) on Yahoo groups. Actually, my first post earlier today was to a "crocheting dude" in TN, Thornius. Perhaps you should find him and reassure him he isn't alone out here LOL Peter Franzi (just up north of me in Emeryville) is a crochet designer as well.

I would say an S hook, and using tentrope LOL that'd be the only way you could make that many full size afghans that quickly. He should enter that world fastest crocheter contest Lily Chin won once (not sure who the current title holder is)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived