Bright Blanket

belant

I just finished this blanket for my three-year-old niece. I had originally started making it for a co-worker who was expecting a baby, but she told me she didn't like the colors. Okay, fair enough! She didn't want pastels, either, so to heck with the co-worker... she can buy a blanket, and my niece, who's been saying, "Oh, it's my blanket!" every time she sees it, is going to enjoy the fruits of my labor. Can't think of a better thing!

Besides, it's really way too big for a baby blanket. I got the pattern from the book Donna Kooler's Crocheted Afghans. The border was fun to make.

th_BrightAfghan4.jpg

th_BrightAfghan3.jpg

th_BrightAfghan2.jpg

th_BrightAfghan.jpg

That border is fabulous! And what 3 year old wouldn't love such a bright and colorful blanket? I agree, forget the co-worker!:)

Hi everyone,

Thank you, thank you! It became a lot more fun to make when I knew my niece was wanting it! My co-worker? Well, I think she just doesn't understand the value or complexity of making (or receiving) a handmade gift. :rolleyes Yet somehow, my niece, who's only three, does understand... hmmm.

As for the colors, I used Red Heart kids. The multi I used was called "Sherbet." It contained :::gasp::: green, blue, orange, yellow, pink and purple. I'm not sure, but I do believe that she'll be able to find her way back to bed at night by the glow from this blanky! :lol

That's an awesome border! I'd love to know how you did that, if you don't mind my asking. :scrachin

Well, the border is a bit of an optical illusion. It looks like a swirl, but it's actually not.

The first row of the border is 2dc-sp-2dc all the way around the afghan, spaced out evenly.

The second row is one sc in the space right before the first 2dc, 6dc in the sp, and another sc in the space right after the second 2dc. That's it! PM me if you have any questions.

I love the afghan and the colors it is really bright a cheerful. I have that book and I wonder what the afghan would look like laid out. I have not made any of the afghans yet but that pattern is one I would like to try. Theresa from NC

There is a real POW! element to this afghan... The colors are beautiful! I bet it becomes your niece's favorite blanket:manyheart....you don't get any better then that! Great Job! :clap

Archived