Scrap Afghans bloom in my bedroom ;o)

cupcake

Oky dokey here are my scrap afgans, or "crochet rugs" as we call them down here.

img76939us.th.jpg (click on image to make it larger)

The bottom snowflake one is one that my Nana made about 40 years ago. It fell apart so I rehabilitated it and rejoined it with the cream colour as I couldnt match the burgandy. It covers the camphor chest at the end of the bed.

The one at the end of the bed was made over a number of years out of scrap balls of 5 ply pure bluebell wool. It was a real pain in the neck because of all the joins. Every so often if I find a stray ball of suitable 5 ply I add another round. Because of the bobbles and the pure wool it is quite heavy.

img76903xy.th.jpg

It is a flower garden pattern. I am not sure that I would do another hexagon pattern becasue of the wonky edges and hundreds of sides to join. ( it covers the bed ends which are brass and need a good clean. Hub has been meaning to polish this for about 20 years. The bed is an antique we bought in New Zealand and brought back to Aus)

and :jumpyay this is my latest which I have just finished. I was encouraged by the UFO CAL crowd. At least I think I am finished. I am not sure if it needs a bigger better border? What do you think?

img76866rh.th.jpg img76838kt.th.jpg img76806ny.th.jpg

The pattern is from this book: http://www.crochetaustralia.com.au/prod202.htm

I did it over about the last 4 years watching my sons play cricket and soccer, but hadnt worked on it for about 18 months till the UFO crowd got me started again. I wanted something light and cheery that would work as a bed cover in summer as well as winter. I did the squares in reverse pairs out of scraps of 8 ply Magnum, or carnival yarn.

BTW if you are interested , the paintings on the wall are those bright kids paintings that my sons have given me for Mothers day when they were younger. I have had them framed, and they are very special to me. It was from the paintings that I picked on a colour theme and a flower theme.

(mm now if I can keep the bedroom looking that neat all the time :lol )

Thanks for looking. :manyheart

Oh wow, Cupcake, Those are so beautiful! You have so much patience to make them, especially the hexagonal one. And the artwork is great too! I like the idea of framing a child's art.:clap

Beautiful work! I think a colorful border would look nice, but it's beautiful the way it is.

thanks, I have been pondering a colourful border... if I decide on that then it becomes a UFO again... at least at the moment I can trick myself into feeling I have finished.:D

Cupcake, What a great way to live with your special treasures. Love them all.Well done! The boys paintings are great.

:yes Thanks for sharing.

nss

All the afghans are just beautiful, Cupcake! I love that idea of framing your childrens' artwork. I read or heard about it in Martha Stewart, and have been wanting to do it, but we have moved so many times in the last year.... :sweat Anyway they are gorgeous and thank you for sharing! :hook

Tina

Archived