Scrap-ghan CAL

KnicKnac

***Do you have scraps you don't know what to do with?***

***Is your scrap stash becoming larger than your yarn stash?***

***Do you love to try new crochet patterns?***

***Have you ever wanted to make a motif type afghan but were afraid of the joining process?***

***Do you like to act crazy every once in awhile?***

***Do you LOVE coffee?***

If you can answer yes to the majority of the questions above, then this CAL is for you!!!

I looked for a CAL that dealt with scraps for an afghan and didn't find any so I asked Yarnaholic if I could start one and she told me I could! Yes, I do believe I am a glutton for punishment! It's ok tho, I like being under pressure!

I have been wanting to start a scrapghan forever. I have been afraid to mainly because I used to believe the only scrapghans were the ones that you made granny squares and then sewed them all together. Boy was I wrong. There are many different patterns to do scrapghans in.

I figured this would be a long ongoing thread that we all could pop into whenever we finished some other project and had leftover yarn to do something with.

This would be my first scrapghan and my first CAL, so I have alot of questions, and I am hoping the more experienced ones can join in and help us newbies along!

I am kinda hoping EmpressBusyBee stops in because I have noticed that she is the QUEEN when it comes to links, and I bet she could post a bunch of different patterns we could all look at and pick one for our very own scrapghan.

Here are some links to get you started:

Smaller Motif Squares - if you wanted to do a square type afghan and then join them - if you do the Crochet Dude has a very nice joining tutorial here

Stained Glass Window Afghan

Scrumptous Scraps Afghan

Medallion Afghan

This is one I think I might try:

Yo-Yo Scrap Afghan

So what do you all say? Who wants to join me in a Scrap-ghan CAL? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ME ME ME! I want to join! I've been thinking about how much scrap yarn I have left over from various projects and couldn't think of what to do with them. The yarns have a variety of weights (some without labels, so no clue what they are) so I don't know if I'd be able to combine those to make a blanket. I have so much yarn (usually partial skeins) and no clue what to do with them all! Thank you so much for starting this CAL. I would DEFINITELY love to join it.

Count me in! It may take me a while to get through this, as I have a few other WIPs going, but I also have a massive excess stash problem :devil . I definitely could stand to make a scrap afghan to get rid of a lot of it.

eyenowhour - AWESOME! I am not sure, but as long as we stick with guage I think we might be able to use any type yarn? Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I would imagine that all the yarn that you would use for a blanket would have to be washable. I will try to find this out ok?

Pam!!! So glad your joining in! The point is with this is NO PRESSURE! It's a CAL that you can only do when you are finished with other projects because, well, it's SCRAP! LOL

I am so happy there is interest in this! WOO HOO

I'm already there! I have two different scrap afghans going. One is a granny's daughter afghan. The second one is yo-yo's out of baby yarn. I made an afghan a few years ago for a friend's new baby. It was a yarn with a dye lot, so I figured by making the small motifs you wouldn't be able to see the difference in the dye lots.

Please count me in!

I have left over yarn from my last 4 afghans that I've thought of doing something with, mostly shades of blue from my daughter's ripple afghan.

There is also some bright red left from my father's Flag ghan.

Last night I started doing a granny square using my largest size hook, (K) and the square is measuring about 9 inches. Thought about doing some of my favorite squares from the 63 Square book.

i'm in the middle of 3 CALs, but when i get it whittled down, i'll try to jump in. i'll be in your pep club til then. :cheerGO SCRAPPERS!! :cheer

Dragonfly - Nice to have you on board. As soon as you find a pattern let us know!!!

WOO HOO - Dazy is here! You are the QUEEN of motivation!!! Nice to have you around!

Kolkri - of course you can join in. You got a picture of your progress so far???

Ilene, good to have you join us! The more the merrier!!! Sounds like you got an idea started already. Show us some progress pictures when you get a chance!

WOW! Imagine my delight when I came home from work today to find all this interest in the Scrap CAL! I am STOKED! I have to get on it, I have to decide what to do, motif squares or just a running ripple something or another.

Hmmmmm

Hi list mommy KnicKnac

I am in. I need to build my stash of afgahns for Mexico in November so I will jump in. I am probably going to do a Mile a minute gahn. they are fast and look very cool no matter the colors!

Hey, I think I am with you dragonfly, MAM afghan. I have never done one either, what a great way to learn!

So glad your here with us Jimmie Lu!!! This is probably a really stupid question, where is the pattern for this type of afghan???

This is getting exciting!!!

:hook Yes to all of the above! How did you know KnicKnac that I now have more scraps then I have actual yarn?! Not yet sure of my approach but I think I will be making a ton of squares.

I made a little button to get us going...

scrapbutton.jpg

WOO HOO!!! I love the button!!! That is so awesome!!! Thank you so much!!!!

Amanda, so good to have you here, not just because of the button!!! But because you are one of us that has too many scraps!!!

Hi,

I'd like to join too! I have a scrap afghan almost finished - just have a couple more squares then on to putting it together. Its little hats of different colors trimmed in black.

A few books you guys may be interested in:

House of White Birches - SCRAP YARN AFGHANS - leaflet #10113

6 patterns --- Moonflowers, Wildflowers & Lace, Tumbling Blocks, Beach Balls, Floral Quilt & Butterflies.

I made the floral quile - its beautiful! Also made the butterflies

House of White Birches - BIG BOOK OF SCRAP CROCHET AFGHANS (Hard cover book) Has 70 beautiful and really different scrap patterns

Here are a few pictures of several scrap yarn afghans I have made

th_FlowerScrapAfghan.jpg

th_FanAfghan.jpg

Lynn

For some reason the other 2 afghan pictures didn't show. Here they are

th_ShannonsAfghanClose-up.jpg

th_ShannonsButterflyAfghan.jpg

Lynn

WOW Lynn, those are simply BEAUTIFUL!!! I love the fans! I would love to see the one you're working on now.

Thanks for posting the suggestions of books.

Welcome to the CAL!

Thanks! I'll lay out some squares tomorrow and take a picture and post it. This one is really cute and different!

Lynn

Thank you all! Scrap afghans are my favorite to make and since I have a HUGE tub full of scraps I guess I can make a few more!:lol

Lynn

I am humbled, I may need to get more creative with mine. So far I have one granny square and one that's partially done of double crochet. I'll have more time to think about my 'ghan after I finish this Monet for my mother in law, it will be done tomorrow

I would love to be in on this one!! I've never joined a CAL yet, but this one is very appealing because, like a lot of you, I have more scraps than actual skeins in my stash. :D I really like the yo-yo idea you mentioned, KnicKnac, but the joining seems a bit complicated to me--if I can figure it out I'll try that one. Lynn, your afghans are really beautiful!! I've had my eye on that book "The Big Book of Scrap Afghans" for a long time. I especially liked the first picture you posted--was this afghan pattern from that book?

Archived