Ugly yarn help

funkyreporter

Question

Okay. Always one to want to try something new ~ and thinking I might being doing something moderately helpful (that I would benefit from) ~ I bought quite a bit of yarn (about $50 worth) from a not-to-be-named source on eBay. It is advertized as 'bleached recycled raw silk yarn' something-or-another. I have owned garments made of raw silk and thought I knew what raw silk was.

Well, well. This stuff is apparently made from what they sweep up off the floor when making other garments in Nepal (they said something to that effect) and the ladies spin it into yarn. So far, so good. So it arrives and I must say this is quite the ugliest yarn I have ever seen. I was going to tea dye it, but it is already the color of uck. It is coarse and gritty, thick and thin, really spun tight so you have to find a way to dangle it literally about every two feet or it starts winding up on itself. I did a swatch about 25 chains long (had to use an N hook, even though parts of it 'skinny-down' to thread size) and then turned it and did a double crochet, chain one, skip a stitch, double crochet thing. It looks suspiciously like a fishnet... and not in a good way. Like a ropey, been dragging behind the boat, got barnacles on it fishnet.

I have quite a bit of this stuff - I think over 1,000 yards, maybe 2,000 - two bags. Any suggestions on what to do with this stuff? It comes with a disclaimer that due to the 'delicate nature of the yarn' (yeah, right) it should not be made into a garment that is to be 'worn roughly'. So an actual fishnet is apparently out of the question.

I will await the pattern suggestions to come flooding in...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As requested, the traveling Yugly itinerary as of page 64, compiled by mommy Shelle!:

Okay, here's the list of Aunties. Please let me know if I've left anyone out. Or if you want to be added to the list.

1. pplcrochets *

2. xmaystarx *

3. melissacrochets *

4. andip470 *

5. tlisley *current home*

6. Kathome

7. sakurasaku

8. Ladycrochets

9. squish52

10. LadyKindred

11. lisaizme

12. uh-oh I forgot to write down the 'ville name, but it's Anna N. (PM me)

13. anu_paradox

14. hischildsindi

• Answers 808
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You've done so much to make everyone smile and laugh here at the 'Ville. We're all here for you just like you're always here for us. Here's to hoping life starts to smooth out for you soon. :hug :hug :hug

This always makes me snicker. Somehow, it never seems to get old. I hope it gives you a smile today!

:hug :hug :hug :hug :hug

Paulette,

Sorry to hear that you are blue. I wish I had some hilariously witty comment to make, but I don't. Know that your 'Ville family is here for you, to listen to a rant & send cyberhugs to you:hug :hug :hug :hug :hug :hug :hug

Aw Paulette, sorry to hear you're feeling blue. Its not fair. You bring so many smiles to us all and there should be just as many coming back. Just know that tons of folks here think alot of you and take some comfort in knowing how much enjoyment you've brought us.

And look at the bright side. You now know the difference between a redwood and a telephone pole!

Ummm, you may want to take out his rusty nail eyebrow piercing before going through security - I know I wouldn't want to be the one to have to explain why I was bringing a rusty, 4" screw on board the airplane..... Hopefully, the dog tag, though metal, won't be an issue....

Isn't it great that the 'ville is back up! :clap:yay :happydance (well there ought to be a smiley for this, doncha think?)

can we have an updated list of aunties?

That's a GREAT idea! I miss that little booger and a mom wants to know where her little guy/girl/it is!

I'll get together with Shelle - the brains of this Fug-mania (I can only take credit for being able to pick the ugliest most hideous yarn simply by looking at a one inch by two inch picture on a monitor:angry

So we'll get back-atcha with that one:manyheart

well Fug is still here waiting to go to Lavelle's. I tried pm'ing her to confirm the address I have but haven't heard back. Hope she is ok. I can't email through here because it says she doesn't want to receive emails so maybe shelle can email her directly.

well Fug is still here waiting to go to Lavelle's. I tried pm'ing her to confirm the address I have but haven't heard back. Hope she is ok. I can't email through here because it says she doesn't want to receive emails so maybe shelle can email her directly.

Sounds like the Fuster wants to spend some more quality time with you! Just set him loose in the silverware drawer and let him munch for awhile while we wait for Lavelle to surface!

Well, here's something I have yet to tell you all...if Lavelle does not surface by Sunday it appears that fug will have to go on vacation with me. The boyfriend and I are going to the Bahamas for a week! I didn't mention it before because I thought fug would be on his way by then but if not he is more than welcome to occupy some space in my carry on. :manyheart

Well, here's something I have yet to tell you all...if Lavelle does not surface by Sunday it appears that fug will have to go on vacation with me. The boyfriend and I are going to the Bahamas for a week! I didn't mention it before because I thought fug would be on his way by then but if not he is more than welcome to occupy some space in my carry on. :manyheart

You MUST send mommy Paulette a postcard from the Bahamas - I'll PM my address to you... I think Fug DESERVES to go to the Bahamas! He's a world traveling Fug, ya know!:yes

Ah, you've seen this yarn then? Nursery rug would be good... might chaffe...

I was thinking it would make a good blankie - like the kind they put on a horse before they put the saddle on... or perhaps it could be a rug in a service porch that you rub your boots on to get the mud off...

Hmm, the stuff might be a little to rough for a saddle blanket. Wouldn't want it to hurt the horse. Might have a buckin' animal on your hands. Couldn't you just see it in the news "Woman Bucked off of horse because of silk saddle blanket."

God Bless!!!

Julee Reeves

I am HERE!!! Finally!! :( I am sorry to say that Fug will not be able to visit Louisiana with me. We have already moved up north. We just arrived today. I have a new address for whomever has him to mail him to.

I believe that you are going on a vacation to the Bahamas??? By all means, please take him with you. I would not want him to miss that opportunity. We can wait now since we are no longer down south.

Oh Lavelle, just glad you're back with us! We were getting worried about you... thought you had cold feet! (Fug would warm them - or chew on your little tootsies)... So your call! If you want a chance to get moved in while Fug vacations in the Bahamas or if you want the Fugster to enjoy the adventures of moving in!:lol I'll leave it up to you two, and just post on here so we know where the Fugster is hanging out!

Welcome back, xmaystarx! :welcome

so glad to hear y'all had a fantastic time; the Fugster is quite the sophisticated traveller, eh? I'll bet there were disappointed sighs all around when he had to leave..... :lol

We're baaaack! :sun We had lots of fun in the sun in the Bahamas. I must admit though....fug only got in a couple of pics, we were too busy relaxing and swimming to catch him in action. There must be something about taking mister fugly on vacation because just like Patricia, since I've been back I just havent been in the proper ville mood and haven't even wanted to come on here. But fear not, I came to update you all on our save arrival, we had no encounters with bad weather and all was good. I must say the resort is now short several sets of silverware as the fug enjoyed the delicacy, hope they don't charge my account! I will be sending him to his next destination this week so be on the look out Lavelle. :devil

i wonder how fugs get along in the wild? born of rouge silk on the workroom's floor, do they wander around manufacturing plants hunting down lovely rusty metals? Do they live and hunt in packs or are they simply wanderers down on their luck? All of these questions i have! does anyone have an answer? Has our dear Fug hinted about the horrors he has seen in the spinning room? Maybe he could shed some light into this little known creature!

If the little Fugster wants to see sunny Cancun we have to plan his trip to me for the end of October. We (DH and I) leave on October 23.

Ahhhh.... I can just see him now at the Tiki bar, charming all the beautiful girls in their bikinis!!!! Oh what a sight that would be.

Also - - since he is going to the Bahamas and then later maybe Mexico with Auntie Kathome (me) what about sun screen? Will the little guy burn???:think

Thank you all for understanding so much. :D I really felt terrible about not being able to get onto the internet...but we ALL know how that goes. Anyways, I think Fugy Boo boo will enjoy the Bahamas much more than this dinky army post lodging...it really is quite cramped in here.

We are now looking for a house to rent while we are here...we think we found the perfect place, we just have to go LOOK at it tomorrow first. Maybe Fug can come and welcome us into our new home. :D I wonder if he would enjoy the unpacking part. :think

Archived