Ugly yarn help

funkyreporter

Question

Okay. Always one to want to try something new ~ and thinking I might being doing something moderately helpful (that I would benefit from) ~ I bought quite a bit of yarn (about $50 worth) from a not-to-be-named source on eBay. It is advertized as 'bleached recycled raw silk yarn' something-or-another. I have owned garments made of raw silk and thought I knew what raw silk was.

Well, well. This stuff is apparently made from what they sweep up off the floor when making other garments in Nepal (they said something to that effect) and the ladies spin it into yarn. So far, so good. So it arrives and I must say this is quite the ugliest yarn I have ever seen. I was going to tea dye it, but it is already the color of uck. It is coarse and gritty, thick and thin, really spun tight so you have to find a way to dangle it literally about every two feet or it starts winding up on itself. I did a swatch about 25 chains long (had to use an N hook, even though parts of it 'skinny-down' to thread size) and then turned it and did a double crochet, chain one, skip a stitch, double crochet thing. It looks suspiciously like a fishnet... and not in a good way. Like a ropey, been dragging behind the boat, got barnacles on it fishnet.

I have quite a bit of this stuff - I think over 1,000 yards, maybe 2,000 - two bags. Any suggestions on what to do with this stuff? It comes with a disclaimer that due to the 'delicate nature of the yarn' (yeah, right) it should not be made into a garment that is to be 'worn roughly'. So an actual fishnet is apparently out of the question.

I will await the pattern suggestions to come flooding in...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As requested, the traveling Yugly itinerary as of page 64, compiled by mommy Shelle!:

Okay, here's the list of Aunties. Please let me know if I've left anyone out. Or if you want to be added to the list.

1. pplcrochets *

2. xmaystarx *

3. melissacrochets *

4. andip470 *

5. tlisley *current home*

6. Kathome

7. sakurasaku

8. Ladycrochets

9. squish52

10. LadyKindred

11. lisaizme

12. uh-oh I forgot to write down the 'ville name, but it's Anna N. (PM me)

13. anu_paradox

14. hischildsindi

• Answers 808
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tina, how in the world did you come across that monstrosity? Geesh, even in my wildest nightmares, I couldn't come up with a concoction like that!:scared That artist has serious issues!

Paulette, thank you so much for posting pics of the Fug guy. (Shelle sheds a couple tears of joy) :cry You did a great job my little Photobucket Protege'. :hug

And Traci, when are we going to see pics of the new bouncing bundle of joy, Fuglina? 15_5_2v.gif I'm a step-grammaw!:bheart

23_11_58.gif

http://www.smileycentral.com/sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb068&pp=ZNxdm415DHUS

I am having a difficult time getting someone to stop running and screaming when they see her!! And here I thought she was so cute! I'm hoping they will be up today. I may need someones help to upload the photo's though, I've never done that before. Ok, gotta run... Fuglina is ready for lunch, she has a strange affinity for refridgerator magnets and staples...

She sounds like a normal Fug baby. So glad it's a girl - they're very rare! Do you need the Photobucket Tutorial for Dummies? I think I saved it in my e-mail folder. The one I sent Paulette. She figured it out, so you can too! PM me your regular e-mail address. Mine's crochetqueen1@verizon.net if you want to e-mail me directly. :hook

Unfortunately (maybe fortunately?) the link no longer works. eBay seems to have taken the listing down.....

Besides, whatever it was, doesn't sound like it had class. And Fug is a class act all the way through, right? Fugly, but classy!

Way to go on the pics, Paulette! :yay I've managed to post pics, but would like to make them fit the page better. What I'd like to know is how to make pics small enough to fit two to a row - Shelle, is it magic ordinary mortals can peform, or only Fug Designers:2magic? Thanks!

Oh, and has Fug's personal secretary approved his travel plans yet? Setting up reservations at 5-star hotels is best done in advance, I've heard (hey, when the Fug travels, he goes First Class!:yes )

Thank you!!!! That's TWO VOTES FOR ORIGINAL FUG!!!!:cheer :cheer

I was thinking:idea ... what if I send not only Fug and his snacks and journal :book and photo album... but ADD IN A COUPLE.... what did we decide to call them? :badidea skanks? no... not blobs.... hunks? :blink goops... :faint WHATEVER they are, I'll send some of the ORIGINAL FUGLY YARN with him!!!!!! (believe me, there's plenty left. of the 15 original skeins I received I've only used, um, none of it. except what I sent to Shelle - this stuff SUCKS!) So as I was saying, I'll include the original FUGLY yarn and perhaps we can all work a bit on a Bride of Fug or some Fugly kids or something! We can make him organs to stuff inside! Bolt holders! :hyper And add your own Fugly yarn in too! Kinda have to, the way this stuff goes from rope thickness to thread thickness within a couple inches!

(And Jimbo, even if you don't crochet, remember you offerred up rusted barbed wire! You can't go back on that! And just think of Fug in the beautiful Alaskan... tundra.... ah, so serene!)

Fug is so excited he just leaned over! :out

Ok I'll admit to avoiding this link for a spell. I won't go into details but i'll just say my laundry has been the better for the hiatus. Nonetheless i finally broke down and chanced a backward review of the thread (without the usual 3 cups of coffee first) till i saw the above post about my barbed wire committment.

So yes, i'll hold to my word and supply sufficient barbed wire for a leash or fug bling or whatever use you'd like to put it to. Just tell me how much is needed and whar (that's "where" in crick talk) you want it mailed. Just don't wrap it too tight. We don't want to damage the wire.

And about the erratic placement of the yarn blobs on whatever that lamb yarn is, I would think one would have to be careful when making 'creatures' with it... I could just picture a little teddy bear with a big blob of fur in the, um, wrong place...

:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol

Traci, I can't wait to see Fuglina's pictures! And Paulette, thank you for those beautiful pictures of the original Fug! I never noticed that he had a large nail sticking out of his head until I saw the one of him smelling the roses...that is very fitting.

What is it about this thread that makes people run free with their imagination? This is the BEST thread ever. I snort coffee out of my nose at every post. Shelle, you are a genius. You really breathed life into this creation.

Ok I'll admit to avoiding this link for a spell. I won't go into details but i'll just say my laundry has been the better for the hiatus. Nonetheless i finally broke down and chanced a backward review of the thread (without the usual 3 cups of coffee first) till i saw the above post about my barbed wire committment.

So yes, i'll hold to my word and supply sufficient barbed wire for a leash or fug bling or whatever use you'd like to put it to. Just tell me how much is needed and whar (that's "where" in crick talk) you want it mailed. Just don't wrap it too tight. We don't want to damage the wire.

Jimbo, there seems to be a misunderstanding here... Fugly wants to come to see YOU!!!!! He wants to come PICK UP his barbed wire snack! Silly! He's on the World Tour and last time I checked Alaska was part of the world! Please say you'll have him... he's a little sweetheart, and with all that barbed wire to gnaw on you won't have to worry about him misbehaving:devil !!!!!

Please say you'll have him:hug

:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol

Traci, I can't wait to see Fuglina's pictures! And Paulette, thank you for those beautiful pictures of the original Fug! I never noticed that he had a large nail sticking out of his head until I saw the one of him smelling the roses...that is very fitting.

What is it about this thread that makes people run free with their imagination? This is the BEST thread ever. I snort coffee out of my nose at every post. Shelle, you are a genius. You really breathed life into this creation.

Traci, Shelle gave me a Tutorial for Picture Posting Challenged Dummies and it WORKED!!!!!! I had never posted a picture in my life, but there they are in all their glory! If Shelle didn't save it in her files I have it saved in mine so I could send it to you! (She's good!)

What was very funny is she thought I was joking about not being able to post pics, and then when she realized I wasn't kidding... well, I guess she fell out of her chair laughing (how's the bump on your noggin, Shelle?) yet was somehow able to compose herself enough to write the tutorial using 'baby steps' and small words...

don't tell me to "hyperlink the URL to the target site"... I'll tell you where you can stick your URL... and your double backslash colon ninewordsruntogether slash slash gobbledy-goop

As far as the large nail sticking out of his head... he threw up --- through his eye! Part of their normal digestive cycle as Shelle says...

Jimbo, there seems to be a misunderstanding here... Fugly wants to come to see YOU!!!!! He wants to come PICK UP his barbed wire snack! Silly! He's on the World Tour and last time I checked Alaska was part of the world! Please say you'll have him... he's a little sweetheart, and with all that barbed wire to gnaw on you won't have to worry about him misbehaving:devil !!!!!

Please say you'll have him:hug

Sign me up, that is if its ok that i'm not in Alaska. Wisht i was, but no, i'm in NE Washington State.

But i'd take him up to the crick to play with the coyotes while i fashion a barb wire necklace or the like?

Sign me up, that is if its ok that i'm not in Alaska. Wisht i was, but no, i'm in NE Washington State.

But i'd take him up to the crick to play with the coyotes while i fashion a barb wire necklace or the like?

Whatya think, Shelle? He wants to send Fug to PLAY WITH THE COYOTES WHILE HE MAKES A BARBED WIRE NECKLACE!!!!! Sign him up!

He sounds like my kinda guy! A Fug Father Figure. Cool! Those poor coyotes won't know what hit 'em. Hope Fug won't be too much for them. A barbed wire necklace sounds lovely!! But Jimbo, don't let him near your wooden hooks. If he eats wood, he'll get splinters in his poopies, and I'm sure you realize how uncomfortable that could be! :eek

Unfortunately (maybe fortunately?) the link no longer works. eBay seems to have taken the listing down.....

Besides, whatever it was, doesn't sound like it had class. And Fug is a class act all the way through, right? Fugly, but classy!

Way to go on the pics, Paulette! :yay I've managed to post pics, but would like to make them fit the page better. What I'd like to know is how to make pics small enough to fit two to a row - Shelle, is it magic ordinary mortals can peform, or only Fug Designers:2magic? Thanks!

Oh, and has Fug's personal secretary approved his travel plans yet? Setting up reservations at 5-star hotels is best done in advance, I've heard (hey, when the Fug travels, he goes First Class!:yes )

I think the magic in making the photos smaller lies in the setting on your camera. There should be a place to set it for "e-mail" photos. That should do it! Hope your camera has that feature. I would think any digital camera would have that, but I can't say fer sure. :shrug

I think the magic in making the photos smaller lies in the setting on your camera. There should be a place to set it for "e-mail" photos. That should do it! Hope your camera has that feature. I would think any digital camera would have that, but I can't say fer sure. :shrug
Hi, Shelle, thanks for answering my question! So, it must have something to do with the size of the pic file. hmm. I've been taking the pictures full size (3MB+), cropping them in MS Photo Editor, using the resizer link mentioned in the 'Ville "how to" section, then uploading to photobucket. Never occurred to me to have the camera do the work by capturing them in less detail :think:oops

I'll go check camera settings! thank you again for the help :hug

Hi, Shelle, thanks for answering my question! So, it must have something to do with the size of the pic file. hmm. I've been taking the pictures full size (3MB+), cropping them in MS Photo Editor, using the resizer link mentioned in the 'Ville "how to" section, then uploading to photobucket. Never occurred to me to have the camera do the work by capturing them in less detail :think:oops

OH, you techy camera people are SO smart:P I think I'm gonna be ILL! I'm just grateful to get a picture loaded on here... now you guys want to talk about having control over the size? Really now. As far as Fug goes, the bigger the better! :eek

Patricia, if you already have the pictures on your computer, you can also resize them after the fact with a free online image resizer (www.reside2mail.com).

It's pretty straightforward; you check a few items (what orientation, desired size, rotation or no rotation, etc.) and upload your photo. You can save the resized image by right-clicking on it. There is also a tutorial:

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=41

Looking forward to your pictures...!

I hope you have that feature. I love it - I just take the pic, upload it to my computer (I've got it set to automatically do it when I hook the usb up). I don't have to do anything extra. Love it love it love it! (I like things simple - like ME!):yes

Patricia, if you already have the pictures on your computer, you can also resize them after the fact with a free online image resizer (www.reside2mail.com).

It's pretty straightforward; you check a few items (what orientation, desired size, rotation or no rotation, etc.) and upload your photo. You can save the resized image by right-clicking on it. There is also a tutorial:

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=41

Looking forward to your pictures...!

You can also resize them with MSPaint, if it supports .jpg files like in Windows XP.

Just save the image to your computer, Click Start>Accessories>Paint.

Then Click File>Open. Select the image you want then click Image>Stretch/Skew. You'll get a popup, under Stretch, just pick the pecentage you want to shrink (I usually use 50%) then click OK and you have a resized photo. You can save it and overwrite the larger file or save it under a different name.

:eek 3MB!!!:eek Your camera has to take smaller pics than that! :yes You can find it, I know you can!:cheer

Shelle, your tutorial for Picture Challenged Dummies :loser didn't say NOTHING about resizing the things... :think this is, like, totally unfair. :eek You guys are talking another language of Mbz and things... NOT COOL! :blah

:angry

Me and Fugly are gonna go pout on the couch for a while and chew on crochet hooks! :irk

Shelle, your tutorial for Picture Challenged Dummies :loser didn't say NOTHING about resizing the things... :think this is, like, totally unfair. :eek You guys are talking another language of Mbz and things... NOT COOL! :blah

:angry

Me and Fugly are gonna go pout on the couch for a while and chew on crochet hooks! :irk

Awww, I'm sorry.... now you know chewing on crochet hooks gives YOU indigestion, and Fugly splinters in his poopies. So I suggest you just settle down and get over it. Don't git yer knickers in a twist. :lol I don't really know what I'm doing - I just fake it until I get the results I want. There. Now do you feel better? Shelle not schmart:no , Shelle just crafty:yes .

Hey all! Sorry no pics yet, I am going to get them up after school today. FINALLY... I seriously need to just break down and get my own digital camera! My friend is like "Oh, are you in a hurry??" I'm like "DUH!! We're talking about baby Fuglina here! YES, I'M IN A HURRY!:angry "

Anyway I'm off to her house this PM and we will get them on here! (Thanks Shelle for the "Dummy" tutorial... I'm sure I'll need it!:think )

Traci, Fuglina is just too adorable! and she has a pink binkie, too. Awwww.... (how many has she had so far? you know how plastic can upset even an adult Fugly's digestion :eek)

(way to go on the pics!)

(Shelle - it worked, I found the right settings! and thanks also to sakurasaku, chatty, and Melissa - it helps to know more than one way to shrink those humongous files!) :manyheart:ghug

Paulette, are you and Fugly ok? I sincerely hope no lasting emotional trauma? (You know that I worry about you guys.....) Could you tell that you and I were the only ones here who didn't know how to solve the camera problem - I was right there in the same boat with ya!

Archived