200 Crochet Blocks Crochet Along

Twinnish

Julie & Claire I hope you both start feeling better. It is no fun to be sick :sick Here I will put my magic potion :2magicon ya'll so ya'll will feel better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:2magic

• Replies 972
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi folks!

Julie, I know what you mean. I did diddly yesterday. I think I washed some dishes and microwaved some food for the masses and that was it. Oh yeah, and I got dressed. And drove a teenager to his friend's house. And still slept like a brick. Of course, the Nyquil helped!

Today I feel a tad more energetic and somewhat less crappy. I hope you are feeling better, too, today. Also, I found the hook! It was next to the keyboard of the computer, heh, heh! Thanks for the magic potion, grandkids!

Claire, Julie, Mare & Renee,

I'm happy you liked the blocks! You cheered me up! :cheer

Claire & Julie :sick

I recommend you fresh lemon juice mixed with honey. It works!

No, Claire, we don't have snow in Buenos Aires. Comparing to your winter, here is mild. Never below 0 like you... But for us, it's cold enough!

Linda, I hope you get the book soon!

Hugs :hug

Renee

Have you always been in Texas ? Move to Ohio - we have a saying here :

Don't like the weather ? Wait 15 minutes .

------------

I've been in Austin for 20 years, and it seems each summer gets a little hotter and a little dryer. I absolutely hate the summers here.

I've been looking at the possibility of moving to the Pacific NW, but I'd also have to go somewhere I can work. I'm totally in love with Portland, OR, but again, it's the work issue. I'm not willing to quit my job without having another one already lined up. I guess I'm funny that way. ;)

Vik

You must be so proud -- those squares are just PERFECT . They look like they are a picture in a magazine . What nice work you do !!

Can't wait to see the finished afghan . It's gonna be a showpiece .

PS- thanks for asking -- yep, I'm kicking this crap and starting to get a little steam back today. Still not top notch, but I'll get better soon .

How are you, Claire ?

Hi girls! :) It's me again, because I've just updated my blog with the squares I have (30 until now, I need 19 more!) So if you wish, you can visit:

http://www.like-grandma.blogspot.com/

I hope you Claire and Julie are feeling better and get well soon! :hug

See you tomorrow!

------------

Hi Vik, looks like things are coming along nicely! You'll have two or three afghans done and I'll still just be looking at the pretty book.

I read down in your blog that you had a visitor a few weeks ago, and went yarn shopping! Sounds like a blast (and I can't imagine 3 blocks worth of yarn shops!). A friend of mine just returned from Buenos Aires recently (she was visiting family without her husband, so she also enjoyed lots of tango lessons), and she just loved it.

Hi Julie, nice to have you here! Try please the fresh lemon juice with honey, believe me, it works!

Hi Rennee, yes it's a yarn district, it can be dangerous for the savings!

Thank you both for your comments on the blocks. Yes, they look nice. As I wrote in the blog, I'm a bit afraid of the sewing process... This is my first ghan and I've never joined squares. Brandy tried to help writing a comment in the blog. But you know, I don't understand it very well... Why does she write row 1 and row 2 and then join? I thought you just sew to join, without crocheting new rows in each square. I would need someone sewing the first one, so I could look how it is... :think

Hi girls! :) It's me again, because I've just updated my blog with the squares I have (30 until now, I need 19 more!) So if you wish, you can visit:

http://www.like-grandma.blogspot.com/

I hope you Claire and Julie are feeling better and get well soon! :hug

See you tomorrow!

Vik...I loooovvvee you're squares! I can't wait to see when you're done!:manyheart

Vik,

I always sc or sl st mine together , but you can also whipstitch them together with a yarn needle. It is your own choice which way you want to do them I guess. I like doing it with the hook, since it seems to go faster and I hte to sew, so try to avoid that at all costs !

Some people prefer the sewing, since it leaves a lot flatter-looking join ,where with the sl st or sc, you're gonna have a ridge on the back of your work .

I don't think you HAVE to do it any certain way, just whichever way you prefer .

Good luck ~

Thank you Julie! :hug I think I get it, either crocheting or sewing. I'll try each of them and see which one I prefer...

I can't understand how the book doesn't explain it with pictures! :think In page 121 is a short explanation, but not enough for beginners...

Well here's my first finished square, a wonky one, that ended up being nine inches..... Oh well thank goodness there's someone at Pine Ridge who will take any size square!

[/url]th_cbab4650.jpg

:hook

Tina

Julie, thank you for your confidence! I hope I won´t disappoint you... ;)

Hi Tina, I like your bright first block very much, it doesn´t seem wonky to me.

Today was a rainy day here, I baked brownies and crocheted more squares...

I was working on the corners of the afghan... But I´m thinking not posting more pictures of it until it´ll finished... so that it´ll be a surprise! :2magic

I laughed as I enjoyed all you posts the other night and wished I could get my hands on this book. On Saturday, lo and behold, I found a copy at Spotlight. It cost me $42 Aus, :eek which is quite an extravagance.. I decided I am worth it, :lol and having seen what you ladies were up to have done a few squares. Am I too late to join the CAL?

I don't know how much 42 AU is in US, but I still said "EEEEEEEP" when I read the price!

Cupcake, I would be thrilled and delighted to have you aboard the SS 200 Crochet Blocks CAL! Welcome! I haven't counted my blocks lately, but I think I have 13 done. I haven't been making good progress this week because the kids have the week off from school. So that means that you'll probably have more done than me by Monday! :D

We'll make sure you get your money's worth from that book!

I don't know how much 42 AU is in US, but I still said "EEEEEEEP" when I read the price!

Cupcake, I would be thrilled and delighted to have you aboard the SS 200 Crochet Blocks CAL! Welcome! I haven't counted my blocks lately, but I think I have 13 done. I haven't been making good progress this week because the kids have the week off from school. So that means that you'll probably have more done than me by Monday! :D

We'll make sure you get your money's worth from that book!

Thanks for the warm welcome. It was actually $42.95 which is 31.68 US dollars at todays exchange rate. That is the tyranny of distance, and the disadvantage of a weak currency. Anything American or European costs a fortune here, or is completely unavailable. This means that things are very hard to come by so I was excited to find the book. I havent been able to join in on some of the other CALS cos I cant find the patterns, I know you can order stuff on the internet, but I do like to flick thorugh a publication before I purchase it..... any hows I have made a start. Had I not come across this post I probably wouldn't have spent that amount of money. I told the hub and sons I bought it for my self for Mothers day!

I have now made 9 squares.

I was feeling pretty clever with myself and started laying them out on the floor. It took me a few days to decide on a colour scheme, but I am going with the bush look. Earthy browns, gum tree greens and sunset orange and yellow. Only just layed them out on the floor, and Billy our cat decided to make herself comfy. She always does this. What is it with cats and crochet?? Any one would think I was making this for her! :lol

img73130np.jpg

Ah, Cupcake! Sometimes we just have to buy what we have to buy, don't we?Your kitty is darling. I know what you mean... I think crochet is a magnet for cats. As soon as you set it down, they just run in and have to lay on it. My daughter's cat is drawn to certain yarns... and when I work with them, It's all I can do to keep her off my yarn. She gets a glazed look in her eyes and starts purring and kneading. Really funny! Silly Francine! Your squares are lovely, by the way!

I forgot to post here the pics of the granny blocks poncho I made as a gift for my friend's daughter's 2 year birthday! I posted them the other day on the show and tell threads...Anyway, Caitlin loved the hat and threw the poncho as far away from herself and she could! Oh well!th_caitlinsponchoset.jpgIt was fun to make. Still working on my ghan... just had a few gifts to get out of the way!

Cupcake welcome here! :cheer I totally understand what you tell about your country, you know, I live in Argentina... which I´m sure it´s even worst than Australia regarding this topic! I´d better forget how much I paid for the book... But, it was translated to Spanish, printed in Spain, and exported to Argentina... Anyway, I think the book it´s worth it. I love the colors you chose for your blocks!

Mare the poncho is lovely! I hope Caitlin will wear it before she grows too much! Thanks for your comment in my blog! I agree with you about the colors of the corners! :)

I notice my book has a different cover to some of those on the web. Mine is also in non american lingo which I checked before I coughed up big bickies for it.

Archived