200 Crochet Blocks Crochet Along

Twinnish

It's ok, insurechicky-poo. You can always come back when you're ready! Here at 200 Crochet Blocks CAL, we have an open door policy!! :)

Thanks for the praises. I think what makes this CAL a little different is the make-it-up-as-you-go-along quality that it has. That can be good...or bad, depending on how much you need structure. I tend to need structure, but I like the adventure of crocheting the different colors together and seeing how they go.

• Replies 972
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I made the St. Petersburg square yesterday. It does come out quite wonky. We should rename it the St. Wonky-burg square. :) I like it though. It's an interesting pattern.

On to the next square...:P

Claire -- I LOVE your colors for the squares can't wait to see a pic of the finished blanket

I'm still around on this, but may change the squares as hubby said I can buy the book this friday at Michaels they have a 1 day only coupon, from 8am-1pm 50% off any reg. priced item yay!! I chose the squares i was first going to do because i had the book from the library and did'nt want to write out a bunch of patterns so i picked a couple i could remember easily, but now that i'll have my own in a couple days i'll re-think my blocks:devil and possibly colors too.....;)

wonky-block-img-0343.jpg

Here it is, the St. Wonky-burg square. I have a feeling that this square will be wonky even after it's sewn to the others. Perhaps a diffrent type of yarn may result in a flatter square but I'm using Caron SS in white, sage, lilac, and believe it or not, grape. Purple just doesn't photograph acurately, it ends up looking sort of blue. All the other squares I made came out MUCH flatter! :)

Barb -- I hope you can get the book for 50% off (WOW!). That would be great!

Sue -- I LOVE your St. Wonky-burg square! It looks far less wonky than mine. Simply Soft is thinner than the RHSS I used, so maybe that's why. Those colors are beautiful, so appropriate for springtime! I see the purple quite well on my monitor. Hopefully, joining it will de-wonkify it a little. :D

Here it is, the St. Wonky-burg square. I have a feeling that this square will be wonky even after it's sewn to the others. Perhaps a diffrent type of yarn may result in a flatter square but I'm using Caron SS in white, sage, lilac, and believe it or not, grape. Purple just doesn't photograph acurately, it ends up looking sort of blue. All the other squares I made came out MUCH flatter! :)

---------------

Sue, I'm sure it'll straighten out when put together. BTW, I love the colors: very spring like, and in truth, they remind me of spring wildflowers here in Central Texas. I like the SS Grape: I'm using it as one of my 3 colors in the 63 more ghan.

I made the St. Petersburg square yesterday. It does come out quite wonky. We should rename it the St. Wonky-burg square. :) I like it though. It's an interesting pattern.

On to the next square...:P

:laughroll :laughroll :laughroll

Sue, you crack me up!

I finished the poncho made from 4 squares last night. I'll try to take a pic. Just haven't been too motivated... feeling better but still really sore and lazy!

wonky-block-img-0343.jpg

I love it in all of it's wonky lovliness!:hook

Claire -- I LOVE your colors for the squares can't wait to see a pic of the finished blanket

I'm still around on this, but may change the squares as hubby said I can buy the book this friday at Michaels they have a 1 day only coupon, from 8am-1pm 50% off any reg. priced item yay!! I chose the squares i was first going to do because i had the book from the library and did'nt want to write out a bunch of patterns so i picked a couple i could remember easily, but now that i'll have my own in a couple days i'll re-think my blocks:devil and possibly colors too.....;)

Barb, that's great! Love those coupons! These blocks are good for so many things! :yay

Thanks everyone! I'm sure the edges will flatten out on the St. Wonky-burg square when I join it but I think the center will always be a little bit 3-D! :eek

I finished another square, the Italian Cross, yesterday. It came out very nicely, I like that one. I started another square but I was at a Crochet Meetup group and kept making mistakes on every row! I kept cutting off the yarn instead of doing another row with the same color!! Probably due to too much YAKING!! :blush Good thing I wasn't chewing gum too, I probably would've fallen off my chair! Oye! :lol

Hi Grandkids! I hope you can get the book soon.

Sue, I LOVE the Italian Cross. I've been eyeballing it! Oh post it, pretty please? With sugar on top?

I started making a square last night and was screwed up by row 2. Somedays I just can't crochet after 8pm!

Hi!

Believe it or not, I still wanna be in this CAL, even though I haven't posted here in forever. :lol First we had illness, then I got in over my head with the toy swap. Heh, looks like I'll be slowing down a bit now, at long last, so I'll try to get started on this.

But I did do one of the squares from the book the other day! I had some wonderful kitchen cotton (sent to me by my terrific SP, Tina -- hi Tina! :hi) and I had made a couple of my basic dishcloths with it to take down to my FIL this Easter weekend. I decided to use the scrap ends of the two skeins and make a cloth using one of the patterns from the 200 blocks book. I ended up doing a fifty/fifty square, (#90, page 78) only worked all in back loops so I'd have a ridged effect, which I like. (In a dishcloth, you pervs! Minds outta the gutter, ladies. :lol ) I did get a pic, but can't remember how to post right now. I'll try to post one here later, and I'll post it on my blog one of these days.

Anyway, this kinda counts as participating in the CAL, doesn't it? Please?

Lene'

Hi lene', of course it counts!! You made it out of the book, right? All right! Hey, was it sent by the Tina in this CAL? If so, even better!

Sue, you spoil me! Hey, baby, that is a nice square! I'm going to have to put it on my long, long list.

Sigh, Friday is almost here. Friday is my errand day, and to boot, the kids have it off from school. My square making quota goes way down from Friday to Monday because of work. But I'll try to squeeze a few rows in here or there. And of course, I'll be checking in here!

HI!

Yep, the cotton was from Mom w/a Motif, Tina. She sent me wonderful dishcloth cotton as well as many other goodies, and the cotton just looked *perfect* for Easter. I love it!

Busy busy day getting the toy swap off the ground (who knew it took so long to do emails and so on? :lol ) and we have our silly tv show tonight (Survivor) and I promised to bake cookies to munch on while we watch scrawny people fight over rice :D, so I'd best go get to it. Maybe I'll get the chance to crochet later tonight...

TTYL!

Lene'

and we have our silly tv show tonight (Survivor) and I promised to bake cookies to munch on while we watch scrawny people fight over rice :D

ROFL!! Too funny!!

Sue, you spoil me! Hey, baby, that is a nice square! I'm going to have to put it on my long, long list.

Sigh, Friday is almost here. Friday is my errand day, and to boot, the kids have it off from school. My square making quota goes way down from Friday to Monday because of work. But I'll try to squeeze a few rows in here or there. And of course, I'll be checking in here!

Thanks, Claire! I wanted to make every square I saw too. That's why my blanket ended up being a sampler!! ;)

Have a good weekend. :)

hi Tina! :hi

Lene'

Hi Lene'! :D I have been MIA here too. I haven't even started on any squares yet. But I want to! I just have to get all my colors coordinated. :blush

And Hi Secret Pal, now that I know who you are! :D

Tina

Okay I'm officially 'in'. :hook I started square 92 'Victorian Lace' last night. It's all one color, so no colors to decide. I guess I will need to get a DK weight yarn, eh? This square isn't turning out to be 6". Oh well.. I'll find some use for it. :P

Tina

Claire- I did a search on Van Gogh, this is why they said he cut off his ear:

He was joined briefly by Gauguin in October 1888, and managed in some works to combine his own ideas with the latter's Synthetism (e.g. The Sower, 1888, Amsterdam), but the visit was not a success. A final argument led to the infamous episode in which Van Gogh mutilated his ear.

:shrug Here are a couple of his sunflower paintings:

Still life vase with twelve sunflowers

Still life vase with 'forteen' flowers

Three sunflowers

Self-portrait with bandaged ear :P

And, just for fun,

A sunflower painting by my then eight year old son :P

Very nice. My Grandma has a painting she did of sunflowers in a vase. Maybe she was trying to copy Van Gogh (she does love sunlowers, though.)

My first square is done, I haven't measured it yet or blocked it. But, it is yellow (which got me thinking of Claire, and wanting to do Van Gogh...) I'll post a picture soon.

Tina

Thanks for the Van Gogh links! *Sigh* I wanted to do the 200 in "Sunflower" based colors, but I couldn't find enough variations in the yellows, at least not in RH. Plus, I wondered if it would look too seventies? The "Starry Night" theme seems to be working well for me. I still wish I could find more different yellows.

I love your son's sunflower! He did that when he was eight? He did a great job! Send that kid to art school!

Speaking of colors, when I get home from work tonight I will have the joy of boiling eggs and coloring them! Maybe the kids can color while I crochet! That would be good. I've got to quit using exclamation points so often. (!)

Archived