Working in the ends

tinkerpuppet

Question

I'm hoping someone can explain to me how to 'work in' my ends? Usually I finish off by knotting the end, then cutting the tail very short. But this looks shoddy and usually leaves a big knot bump so you can tell where I ended. And I worry that it wouldn't take much to come undone and unravel the whole thing. But I don't know what else to do? Thanks!

20 answers to this question

Well, I said that was my final word, but I'm going to add another few words. Hee hee

Because of all the confusion, I decided to add to my tutorial on finishing off and taking care of ends. So please visit the tutorial again if you still have questions - I just added the pictures tonight 3-10-06

http://www.crochetcabana.com/tutorials/ltc-ends.htm

Hope it helps.

So what is knotting then?

Thanks for your links, they're fabulous instructions and I know I'll be referencing them on future projects :D

Thanks for the kind words.

I think when others talk of knotting, they mean tying two strands of yarn together and pulling it tight. It makes a hard knob where the "knot" is. I think of this as tying. Knotting, to me, is sort of like when you tie your shoelaces. You tie them and then you tie them again. Of course, you don't make a bow in your yarn. Either way, there is a knot at the point where the strands are tied, and that knot is a hard knobby place. This can be uncomfortable for a baby or anyone with sensitive skin. You can usually feel the knot, particularly in thin yarn like fingering or sport.

Also, think of it this way, if you pull hard enough on yarn it will break, especially some of these new specialty yarns which I don't find very strong. So if you pull tight to knot it is possible that you will break the yarn. That's why I say to tie loosely if you are going to tie at all. Wouldn't it be awful if you were going through a finished afghan and broke the yarn in the middle of the ghan? yikers! That's not likely to happen, but it's a possibility.

The main thing I think most people are talking about is knotting or tying the yarn and then cutting at the knot or just leaving an inch or so. That is not enough to weave or sew in. Picture it like this. Your needle itself is a couple inches. How can you sew in an inch of yarn? It has to at least be the length of your needle - and I suggest more.

Some folks when sewing with thread will knot the single strand. I used to do this myself though I don't really do a lot of sewing. This is perfectly acceptable. The knot on the end stops the thread from going straight through the material. But with yarn, you don't have that need since there is no material to go through. You don't even really need the tie because you move on from that spot. Every stitch is attached to another stitch and some of it is crocheted over. However, being paranoid, I can't blame a person for wanting to tie the strands. You just feel better knowing they're attached to one another. :-)

Just keep in mind where your work is going and obey whatever rules the coordinator of any charity effort has, and all will be well.

No knots. That's my final word. :lol:devil

You yo, snip your yarn about 6" or so from the end and pull that strand through the loop that is on your hook.

Yep, that's exactly what I do. Yay, I did it right!

So what is knotting then?

Thanks for your links, they're fabulous instructions and I know I'll be referencing them on future projects :D

I'm a little confused about knotting now. How do you finish off without knotting the end? The last couple things I've done I've knotted just the same, and then used a very small hook to weave the tail in. But if I don't knot it, how do you close your loop? (does that make sense?).

I understand what you're asking and it's an excellent question. I can see how that would be considered a knot. What you do is when you make your last stitch you pull the yarn through to complete the stitch. YOu have one loop remaining on your hook. You yo, snip your yarn about 6" or so from the end and pull that strand through the loop that is on your hook.

There is another method of finishing which I call the Invisible Finish Off. I know it has other names, but can't think right now what they are. It works especially well for granny squares and you can't tell where you ended your piece.

http://www.crochetcabana.com/tutorials/ltc-invisible-finish.htm

I would suggest, however, that if you are making squares to send to charity that you just leave that last loop without sewing it in. That way if the square needs to be added to or taken away from, it is easier for the assembler. Can you tell I've been working with squares? LOL

Of course if it is your own project, then you could use whichever finish works best for you.

Hope that helps.

I'm a little confused about knotting now. How do you finish off without knotting the end? The last couple things I've done I've knotted just the same, and then used a very small hook to weave the tail in. But if I don't knot it, how do you close your loop? (does that make sense?).

Have I mentioned I love this site and how much I learn from it?! I don't post often, but I learn so much from reading the posts here. Thanks to everyone!

When I can't work over the ends I use a needle and sew or weave my ends in. I do try to work them in as I go. Normally I will get 4-5 ends that need doing, take a break and work them in and continue on till I have 4-5 more to do. Doesn't get away from me that way and yet I not stopping everytime I turn around to weave in an end. . Working the Irish Crochet taught me the value of sewing them in and doing it often. Talk about having ends to deal with you definitely do there. Always be careful when snipping threads close to your work that you don't snip your piece. I have done that a few times to my chagrin. Nothing like learning the hard way UH!! :eek

I also weave in my ends with a needle. It's a job I don't like and will put it off as long as I can. I won't make a granny square afghan because there would be way too many ends for me to handle.

I know I should do a little at a time, but I just don't . Just not my cup of tea.

Linda

I always weave in my ends usuing a needle. I just try to follow my stitches back across the last row. I double back around a stitch and may go to another row and work my way back. I do this for about 2 inches each way. Seems to work for me.

I think there is a whole thread on knotting elsewhere on this forum.

Please don't ever knot and cut off at the knot. This not only looks poorly, but the knots eventually, sometimes in the first washing, come undone, leaving a hole with not enough yarn to repair. This happened with a square I received for Squares 4 Survivors. It untied as I was joining the afghan!

There are several ways to take care of ends. The about.com link that was already given has a wonderful picture of how to sew the ends in. You can also crochet over them as you work. I have a tutorial on ends at Crochet Cabana.

http://www.crochetcabana.com/tutorials/ltc-ends.htm

Please always leave a few inches of yarn when finishing off. This is not the time to be frugal. You've spent so many hours on this beautiful project. Finish it off properly so it will last forever.

If you still decide you want to knot, that's your decision to make, but if you send to charity be sure they will accept pieces with knots. I know of some that specifically state "no knots" including mine at Squares 4 Survivors. Heartmade Blessings is another. Just check to be sure. After all, you want your work to be used and appreciated.

I might mention also that personally I don't mind TYING (not knotting) the two ends together loosely and then weaving in four inches or so. As long as a long tail is woven in. That is MY opinion, but other charities consider tying the same as knotting so if in doubt, ask.

Thanks for posting this information. I usually knot my ends too and kind of weave things in, but not really, and especially not with a yarn needle. I also was afraid things would come apart if I washed it, so I don't. I just give them away to people and hope for the best. I've always wanted to find another way to do this.

I also work the end's in with a needle and sometimes I will tie it to another stitch after I weave it a few inches and thn weave it back again. Hope this helps some.:scrachin

I usually leave a longish tail at the end, then draw that through the last loop to knot it. Then I take a yarn needle and weave it through about 1 or 2 inches through the stitches on the wrong side, then weave it back over itself for an inch or two, then cut off close to the work. I find weaving in the ends to be the most tedious and unenjoyable part of the experience though, anyone else agree? I usually work the ends in as I go so I don't have a whole bunch to do at the end.

Kiki

Archived