Dishcloths - what do you use them for?

I mostly use them as trivets on the table. I have several we use for setting out an extra bowl or not terribly hot dish. I make them out of both cotton and acrylic, whatever suits my color needs at the time. I do have a couple cotton ones at the sink but I'm almost always reaching for something else - not a reflection on the usefulness and practicality of the dishcloth, just habit.

My grandma has handed out two at Thanksgiving and two at Christmas to every woman in the family for as long as I can remember. I plan to carry on the tradition once she is gone since Im the only one in the family who crochets.

Everyone in our family loves them for dishcloths. She just makes a basic square and adds different stitches for edging and such.

I use them as dishcloths, potholders, and trivets. All of mine are made with good old Peaches and Creme cotton.

I use mine for almost everything except washing dishes.......wipe down the counters, stove, table, any spills & as a trivet or potholder (even though I've made trivets and potholders) the dishcloths are at hand. When they get old and ragged, DH takes them out to use in the car!!

I give them in baby colors to new moms, as shower gifts for bridal and wedding, house warmings, and the winner this week is to my secret sister with handlotion and foot scrub. Peaches and cream has always been my pick to use.

lisa

What a creative idea. I love it. I use mine for washing disher or doilies.

I give them in baby colors to new moms, as shower gifts for bridal and wedding, house warmings, and the winner this week is to my secret sister with handlotion and foot scrub. Peaches and cream has always been my pick to use.

lisa

They can also be folded and with a diaper pin, you can make small diapers to fill with candy and treats for a baby shower! Each guess gets a diaper, but takes home a cloth!

Donna

I use dishcloths like wall decorations. I create a loop on top and hang them in my kitchen for a more warm welcoming feeling to the general sparse walls :gallery. I make three or four of the same design just different colors for a seasonal feel to the kitchen sometimes. I guess I'm unique :lol.

Post a picture of your wall decorations, I'd love to see them!!

I use dishcloths like wall decorations. I create a loop on top and hang them in my kitchen for a more warm welcoming feeling to the general sparse walls :gallery. I make three or four of the same design just different colors for a seasonal feel to the kitchen sometimes. I guess I'm unique :lol.

I don't use mine for dishes at all - I use mine in the shower. My kids prefer the cotton cloths I make to the regular face cloths now. I just feel strange using them to wash dirty dishes!

Maybe though when I run out of sponges - we got a TON when we moved into this house and i still have a few left - I'll make some for my kitchen. I'm going to have to make them really ugly though so I don't feel guilty using them, lol.

The one I made for my mom, she used to wash dishes with. It ended up being a long rectangle shape (since it was my first one), but really useful for washing down into tall glasses. :) I don't make many for myself, but usually give them as gifts. My future MIL made us a nice potholder by putting two crocheted dishcloths together and crocheting and edge around the two together.

Sparse walls? What's that like? :think We both have so many posters and pictures and my fiance has started to frame large prints of his own photography, so we have very, very little wall space left.

I've never made crochet dishcloths yet, i always knit mine using Bernat Handicrafter cotton (i think that's what it's called) and i love them for washing dishes, cleaning the bathroom and i don't do it often, maybe every couple weeks, wash my kitchen floor by hand with them otherwise i just sweep and use my swiffer wet on it. :c9

I love crocheted dish clothes! :cheer I use mine for almost anything! I use them to wipe down the bathroom in the morning, I wipe down my kitchen counters & cupboards (I'm a messy cook), wipe up spills, wash floors. They are very durable (I use the Bernats Handicrafters too).

My favourite use for them is as a dusting cloth. They work great! Just a little polish on the furniture and wipe! I never wash them and after a few uses with polish you can use them without any extra polish for a quick dusting!

Val, I have to warn you, if you let your family use them you won't be able to buy dish or wash cloths anymore. My daughter keeps stealing them from my bathroom. In fact her best friend is getting married soon and she wants me to make a set for them as a wedding present. I think I'll use some Cottontots for the bath set, it's very soft and luxurious and 100% cotton.

My grandmother has several knitted ones that are getting rather tired. Whenever one of them gets too far gone, I always steal it and unravel it and crochet it into a whole dishcloth again, usually just sc or dc with an edge of the same. 've never made any of my own, though.

I use mine to do dishes of course! And I just throw them in the laundry when they are dirty. As they are cotton, they do shrink a little, but not too much.

I saw that somebody posted that they use them for dusting... great idea! I'll have to try that!

i've always felt that they were too pretty and too much work to clean with. but after reading these posts, i now feel that i am denying myself.:eek i think i will make some and give it a try. why not, i'm worth it :D

The first one I made was a Heart shaped dishcloth for my mom. She refused to use it because it was too pretty, so she framed it for her kitchen. I made her two more and she's using them for the dishes.lol I'll probably make a bunch for showering/bathing.

Archived