Fendi Knockoff Bag CAL--CLOSED--Please no requests for pattern

Mom w/a Motif

I am tackling two new things at once - I'm making the purse from a recycled sweater! I've always loved the color and feel of the sweater, but it's a turtleneck and I've decided never to purchase that style again, they just make me feel like I'm CHOKING. . . .

It was a nice sweater from JC Penney made of 100% cotton. I used the "How to unravel a sweater" article I found here and it went great! I have two huge balls from just the front and one sleeve, and I'm starting on my purse - I'll unravel the rest later.

I'm using an "I" hook since I usually crochet a little tightly. There's not really anything about gauge in the pattern. My purse is about 14" wide - is that pretty comparable to where the rest of you are???

Here are some picture of what I have so far - lots more to go to just finish the body. . . .

Picture of remaining sweater sleeve and purse WIP

Picture of purse WIP by itself

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the real (expensive) one was 9 x 13, so that sounds right. I'm making mine much smaller and I'm using a different stitch, changed the ruffle and the eyelet round, and am making it the shape I think the original was done in instead of the way the pattern says. So basically I'm not following the pattern at all, but I think it's turning out to be pretty close. No pics yet, but I think it'll be done this week so I'll post some then if I can find someone at work with a digital camera I can borrow since mine is being naughty.

I think the real (expensive) one was 9 x 13, so that sounds right. I'm making mine much smaller and I'm using a different stitch, changed the ruffle and the eyelet round, and am making it the shape I think the original was done in instead of the way the pattern says. So basically I'm not following the pattern at all, but I think it's turning out to be pretty close. No pics yet, but I think it'll be done this week so I'll post some then if I can find someone at work with a digital camera I can borrow since mine is being naughty.

Sounds neat! Looking forward to seeing it!!!:)

Except for a closure (haven't decided yet), I'm finished. though I'm not sure if I'm happy with it. I frogged the ruffle 3 times, trying to get the look I wanted (and wasn't sure what look that was). So here you have it:

The front

PICT1350_edited.jpg

The side detail

PICT1352_edited.jpg

And the lining

PICT1353_edited.jpg

My lining is a cowboy theme, for a little whimsy.

How's everyone coming along? Is anyone planning on a closure?

:eek I LOVE it, Debi!! Is that in the LB Suede? How did you do the handle part? Just crochet a strip and sew it down? I still haven't gotten any handles for mine yet. Yours is gorgeous!!! You did such a good job! Now I want to do one in the Suede. :D

Great Job! :cheer :cheer :cheer :cheer

Woo Hoo!

Tina

:eek I LOVE it, Debi!! Is that in the LB Suede? How did you do the handle part? Just crochet a strip and sew it down? I still haven't gotten any handles for mine yet. Yours is gorgeous!!! You did such a good job! Now I want to do one in the Suede. :D

Great Job! :cheer :cheer :cheer :cheer

Woo Hoo!

Tina

Thanks Tina! Yes, it's the LB Suede. And for the handles, I just used a large darning needle and whip stitched it on.

How many skeins of the suede did it take?? You did a great job on it, are you kidding!! It is really nice!! :yay

I'm sorry, I left that out! Almost 3. Thanks for your compliment.:)

:yay Really beautiful Debi and Alisha!!! :yay They look great! No one will ever know that you didn't pay $900 for them. LoL

Debi, you saved me asking the question about attaching the handle. Great idea, thanks!

I bought one of those magnet clasps to go in mine (like the original). If that doesn't work out I was thinking of leaving the flap loose and maybe adding a zipper.

I love it Alisha!!!! What are you doing for handles?

Thanks Debi I hadn't decided yet I may just remove some from another bag I have in the closet. I never buy pricey purses I think the most I've ever spent on 1 was $60 so removing some wouldn't be bad :) I bet one could find some good ones at resale shops ;)

Thanks Debi I hadn't decided yet I may just remove some from another bag I have in the closet. I never buy pricey purses I think the most I've ever spent on 1 was $60 so removing some wouldn't be bad :) I bet one could find some good ones at resale shops ;)

Mine were only 5.00 at JoAnns! I really didn't want to spend alot in case I didn't like my purse.:P

I only have a Michaels nearby and I haven't seen anything but the plastic or bamboo dbl handles there. I wish we had another croafts store near me but I do have a purse I bought for $14 that I don't like much so it may be the giver of the handles :lol I agree I didn't want to order any because I thought I might not like it.

Great job on your purses, ladies! I ordered my handles last week from joggles.com, and they arrived today...I got the 27" faux croc ones, and they are REALLY nice - like something you would see on an expensive bag! I think they were $8-9 each or about that. I was holding my breath waiting for them to come in, just hoping they would look good and be of good quality, and I was not disappointed! I will definitely keep joggles.com on my list of sources when I need purse handles again!

I am about to start the ruffle on mine, but so far I like the way it is turning out! I also found the exact yarn I was looking for for my knitted version. I couldn't believe my LYS had the exact color I was looking for! Now to find some really special lining material for the knitted version. I got Elizabeth Lavold wool silk for the knitted version, and it was definitely more expensive than Simply Soft!:lol:lol Will post a pic of my bag when I get the ruffle done!

Laurie:hook

Great job, Alisha!!:cheer Yay! It's looking great! Have you lined it? That's the only thing I haven't done, besides the handles. Great job!! I like it in white, too (if it was mine, though, it would be filthy in about... one day?) :lol

It's beautiful Debi :cheer

Here's what I have done so far

fpurse.jpg

Wow, I need to get going on my bag, you guys are done already!! I've been working away on the interweave press zig zag skirt and have been slacking on my purse. What length strap have you guys found that you needed?

Rachel

Archived