Hat-a-Week

Croshay

I have a suggestion...I have a friend that makes fetal demise clothing (bonnets, blankets, etc) and she was telling me that she donates to a number of hospitals and funeral homes that offer these garmets for no cost to families that have lost babies. She said she makes a massive amount of bonnets in several sizes. So a bonnet is a type of hat and personally know how special it is for a family thats grieving to receive a gift like this. She just called around her area to find where her baby items were needed...she keeps the items at her home and the funeral home or hospital call her when they have a need...not sure how this would work in your area, but worth a shot.

Anyway just a suggestion, as they are quick to make and serve a grand purpose.

Working on hat #4 btw! :blush

• Replies 962
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Here's the lunatic (not sure if it's the hat or the model.)

Great job Melissa!!!

I have to get going on a hat for week 5! I'm opting out for the pattern chosen, but I'm hoping to substitute one in from somewhere....

Whether it's out dancing with her good friend, Paris Hilton, or simply sipping an espresso at Starbuck's, Miss Lydia can be confident of her trendy look when she's sporting the "Hollywood & Vine" hat from "The Little Box Set Of Crocheted Hats & Scarves."

Pict0117.jpg

No, I don't much care for it either.

I couldn't work up much enthusiasm to work on hats 3 & 4. I've been having a major crises at home with my teen. **sigh**

But today I got out some self striping yarn from Moda Dea, and made my little guy a hat. I've been wanting to make him one for a long time, but since we live in Texas, there just aren't a lot of "hat days." Heck, it's been 70s and 80s all winter just about.

I've been wanting to make him a hat out of this yarn for a long time, but couldn't fine a pattern for a hat in the round using this yarn weight. So I said to heck with it and winged it! I think it's still a little too large because it kind ripples a little around the crown. But that extra room, and the stretchy nature of the yarn will hopefully mean he'll be able to wear it for a little while. :hook

93899410_1de8e46114.jpg

I also made two UBW hats for my 25 things for Charity. But I didn't take a picture of them. lol....

ETA: I'm not sure I like the ear placement. What do you think?

Fresh from the ski slopes of Colorado, Miss Lydia tries to pick which UBW hat she'll wear next. The purple, the blue? Decisions, decisions. What's a young, stylish woman like her to do?

Pict0113.jpg

Everyones hats are fantastic i have been busy too i will have to post pics tomorrow the last 2 kids just went home and i am for bed 6:30 comes too early and I promised my son he could drive tomorrow since i have no extra children tomorrow afternoon. Wow my son is driving thats too scary!!!!!

I couldn't work up much enthusiasm to work on hats 3 & 4. I've been having a major crises at home with my teen. **sigh**

But today I got out some self striping yarn from Moda Dea, and made my little guy a hat. I've been wanting to make him one for a long time, but since we live in Texas, there just aren't a lot of "hat days." Heck, it's been 70s and 80s all winter just about.

I've been wanting to make him a hat out of this yarn for a long time, but couldn't fine a pattern for a hat in the round using this yarn weight. So I said to heck with it and winged it! I think it's still a little too large because it kind ripples a little around the crown. But that extra room, and the stretchy nature of the yarn will hopefully mean he'll be able to wear it for a little while. :hook

93899410_1de8e46114.jpg

I also made two UBW hats for my 25 things for Charity. But I didn't take a picture of them. lol....

ETA: I'm not sure I like the ear placement. What do you think?

Hang in there, teens do grow up and miraculously, we parents get smarter, simultaneously. How old is your teen? I have an almost 17 y/o son. I'm dreading the 17th year. I also have a 19 y/o away at college. Darn, now I feel old.

Your baby is sweet. I love the striped hat. I think the ear placement makes it look whimsical and playful, like a real kitten. If you want them to look like "every other cat hat" I'd move them just a tad more back and align them a little more evenly.

photojenic,..you're little one is darling! I agree with Lisa the ears might go back a bit. Since you've got the warm weather maybe making him a hat with the light weight cotton would work?

Sakkasie, sorry to hear you're having teen problems. They can make you crazy, but soon too soon they're gone. Mine was easy as kid and teen. I didn't start losing my marbles until she went away to college. I swear it's harder when they're not hear and you're trying to get them to communicate, and they're in love, or worse yet, get dumped by the one they love....you just can't deal long distance very well. You always feel out of the loop. Mine's 22, so guess that means I'm older than both you and Lisa. This is her last semester, graduates in May.

Miss Lydia, I vote you wear the purple for the ski slopes. I want a head to model and name. Somewhere on ones of these threads several of us were asking where to buy one, don't think anyone indicated where they got theres.

I made another version today of the basic hat pattern everyone calls UBW, so many of the patterns just won't work with the Homespun. Trying to use up a pile at a time. Believe I'll ship out the 4 I have tomorrow and hopefully get 5 in before the wkend, which for the first time would have me got up and current with hats. Soon to be behind again no doubt. Heading out of town, I'll be able to crochet; but won't have acess to my puter for those pattersn. May just take some from my box and have at it.

Love seeing all the pictures folks. Will add more to my blog tomorrow and sing out. I haven't gotten into posting them on photobucket to show up here.

Night all, happy stitching.:yawn:sleep

Great hats ladies!!! Everyone here is so motivated and talented. I'm still trying to pick my hat for this week. I might just do another UBW.

Can't go wrong with that basic pattern. The choice of yarn and colors makes them all look different, it's a hat that works for men and women, adults and children:clap I mixed up the last one with a section of single crochets for a wee variety, gave it a bit of differnt texture. Also a good way to snug it ladies if the one you're making seems to large for whomever. I alter the start with 12 or 15 or 18 stitches into the ring as well which helps make them in a variety of sizes.

I finished week #5 hat today. I substituted a free pattern off of the internet called Kathleen's Kold-Weather Kap. I plan on donating all of the hats I make. And I'm going to just firmly believe that somewhere in this world there is a man with a head big enough to wear this hat. It is HUGE!

Karin - I keep having the same problem with getting hats to come out just the right size. :thair The Lunatic hat we did this week looked like the perfect size in the picture, but I think all of ours turned out to be different sizes; some too small and some too big.

Ktornatola - Got your hat ready. I really like it and hope you will, too! I ended up making myself one and also one for charity, changing each one just slightly. I think I like yours the best, so I might make myself another one like it & donate mine to charity, also. I'll let ya know when it's on the way.

Everybody - I saw a guy walking down the street the other day with a crocheted hat on, made up in a camouflage yarn...cool...seems like I make more hats than I actually see people wearing.

Keep making those hats!! :hook

Well, still here...haven't posted for awhile. Been trying the lunatic hat, but I'm turning into a lunatic trying to make it. Just not working for me....lol Will try another!

Croshay: Sent your hat today. So it's on the way. If you have any questions about the hat, just let me know. Thanks! :hug

ok I'm in but do I have to make them a specific size ? what do I do with the completed ones ? Charity ? swap ? sell ?

I am a newbie at this so please enlighten me

Lyndacloud9.gif

Lynda, you can do whatever you'd like with your hats; gifts, charity, etc. You can also make any size/style you like.

We'll have a particular hat posted each week that is always optional. If you want to do that one to "crochet along" that's fine, and if you'd rather make something else, that's also fine. You can see the "crochet along" hats we've done so far in the first message of this thread.

I gave my "Sassy A" hat to my 72 year old mother and she has worn it everywhere. She loves it. When I looked at the pattern, I thought, "That's my mom." Boy was I right! She is in cancer remission and when she was taking chemo and lost her hair, wigs bugged her scalp so she wore hats all the time. She got into the habit and still wears them even with a head full of hair!

It's so nice to be a blessing!

I gave my "Sassy A" hat to my 72 year old mother and she has worn it everywhere. She loves it. When I looked at the pattern, I thought, "That's my mom." Boy was I right! She is in cancer remission and when she was taking chemo and lost her hair, wigs bugged her scalp so she wore hats all the time. She got into the habit and still wears them even with a head full of hair!

It's so nice to be a blessing!

That is so wonderful!

I only got the first row of the Ripple Hat done last night. The pattern calls for 98 chains at the beginning, but you really only need 96....so I frogged it and started all over. Then I was aggravated & didn't wanna work on it....so now I have a lovely blue squiggle.

I finally finished my week 5 hat, but now I can't find my digital camera!! One of the male members of my household have used it and can't remember where it was laid down. :ohdear I used this pattern from Marlo's crochet and made it using Covered Bridge Red Homespun. My mom loves it!

I found the camera, so here is the pic!

Week5.jpg

Archived