Hat-a-Week

Croshay

• Replies 962
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry Croshay but I'm passing on this one. I can't get the picture to work and I am one of those who has to see the object in order to feel comfortable working on it. I haven't decided on which hat I am going to make for week 6 yet.

Just wondered if you all would prefer to have a bunch of hats posted (like on the 1st message in the thread) and you can choose your own hat each week. That sorta eliminates the "crochet along" aspect, but I noticed a lot of people are opting out on the hats posted anyway.....so please let me know what you think. Either way is fine with me.

First of all, I think you should do what's easiest for you Croshay, since you've been kind enough to be our "leader." :hook

I actually like the semi-CAL-ness of the group, although I haven't CAL-ed since about week three. For me, there are some reasons why I'm not "on schedule," but I really like knowing that at any time, I can jump back in.

Either way you decide, I appreciate all you've done so far! :hug:manyheart

I am sooooooo far behind on this CAL. I have been busy moving up north and all. Well, I am finally getting settled in and back into crocheting. I have designed another dress and two bonnets. So, I guess the two bonnets will be for this CAL since I have only made one hat so far.

I was working on that Homespun Cloche and it is way too big and then I got too busy with my other things that I haven't picked it back up again.

There is a hat pattern on the Lion Brand cotton skien I saw at Joanns yesterday that really tempted me to buy the two skeins just to make the hat but I resisted the temptation. Now I think I will have to go back and buy it because I just love that hat.

So, total for now is three hats for me. As soon as I get my computer up and running I will try to get some pictures posted of my competed things. My parents computer is very slow and takes a long time to just open up so I don't know how much picture posting I am actually going to be able to do.

Croshay - I like have the patterns posted each week too, but I know I'm one of the ones who has opted out a lot. So if it would be easier for you to not post one I completely understand!

Anna - Those Homespun Cloche hats have me frothing! I love them but they are always too big!

Anybody working on the Ripple Hat???

I have made it.. and it's hilarious looking. It turned out really funny, both too tall and too small.:lol

I need to finish sewing up the back and then will take a pic.

I too chained the 98, but when I found I only needed 96, I just undid the extra stitches. Someone months ago gave me that tip.. to make sure you don't pull your beginning stitch too tight, just incase you have too many and need to undo.

I think there's a mistake in the count on this pattern. I think she meant to tell us to make 4 row repeats of colors a, b, & c, then 3 row repeats, 2 row repeats, etc. etc.

All this has given me an idea on how to have this same effect, but with a different approach. What I don't like about this pattern is that it's not easily adjustable if you find it's too tall or too short... you're pretty much stuck with what comes off your hook.

Just wondered if you all would prefer to have a bunch of hats posted (like on the 1st message in the thread) and you can choose your own hat each week. That sorta eliminates the "crochet along" aspect, but I noticed a lot of people are opting out on the hats posted anyway.....so please let me know what you think. Either way is fine with me.

You do what is right for you, but I need to tell you that I'm trying to do each weeks.. even if it doesn't personally appeal to me.

I see the "suggested" pattern as a way for me to "think outside of the box" so to speak. Stretching myself to things I wouldn't try on my own. etc. etc.

Lisa - Thanks for the heads-up on the ripple hat. I've only done a few rows and I'm already bored to death with it...so I might skip this one myself. I just finished making myself a rippled cape so I guess I'm rippled out.

I am committed to the crochet along. I think it's fun to do an "assignment." Gives me more experience doing different things that I may not have done before.

Hello all. I've been following this CAL from the beginning, and have been giggling in the background ever since!

Croshay, I definitely appreciate having a pattern posted every week. It keeps me inspired, though some of the patterns are still too intimidating for me to attempt (that spike stitch hat!). :think I'm a newbie, and still very slllloooow. I've made 3 hats so far, and will post pics soon.

BTW, found another ripple hat pattern that's done in the round (good for the sewing phobic of us!).

http://www.crochetpartners.org/PatternLibrary/CPpat250.html

I think I might try that one for this week.

Lopa-loo - :welcome to the group!

Everybody - Thanks for the feedback on how often I post patterns for the group. I'll keep posting each week, so you can still keep an eye on the first message in the thread for updates if you'd like.

Seems I'm always playing catch up. Just back in town, but made a 5th hat. I actually made my first knitted in the round hat, with camo yarn. Was kinda fun. I'll have some pictures later. Sent out wk 1-2-3-4 today for a homeless group, through Brieann and Homefront Christian Outreach.

OK, y'all. I just finished the ripple hat. It is a time consuming pattern but I enjoyed. I used up all my little scraps (since ripples are conducive to those) and I think it's cute. I'll post a picture tomorrow as it is late now and past my bedtime. I also have been working on graduate work before finishing the hat and I'm wiped out...................... :tired

Here she is:

haw011.jpg

Ginny - Don't feel bad about not making the hat. This CAL is just to have FUN making what we want, when we want....so just jump in and make something else when you can!

Everybody - I never finished my ripple hat this week. I think I got about 12 rows done and I was bored with it, so it's sitting in a tangled mess in my yarn bag...which is, of course, after my toddler got ahold of it! :eek

For Week 7, let's try the "Baby Derby Hat" at http://www.crochetme.com/baby-derby-hat!

I'm trying to mix them up a bit...adults, children, babies...etc... and we haven't done any itty bitties yet...but I think this is just adorable...and I think it would be cute with or without the brim.

Melissa, when I printed out the picture, it looks like a cream color with the pink stripes. (The green looks cream or off-white instead, for some reason.) And it's really cute. I'm gonna make mine just like this.

The Derby hat is darling! I believe this will be the first one I've done since wk 1 or 2. I keep opting for my own or variations of something else. Some of the patterns just arent' ones that call out to me, or won't work with the stash I'm clearning out. This has I think lots of possibilities. St. Paddy's Day is coming, I can see it bright green....though I have no bright green so that doesn help me clean out my stash....but I hope someone makes it in bright green and photographs it so we can see it. :clap

Archived