Hat-a-Week

Croshay

You can still find Dazzleaire if you're real lucky. I found 2 skeins at my hobby lobby about 2 weeks ago. (Really double check your hobbylobby's.. the one near me HIDES :( discontinued yarn.. and then LIES about it :angry.. I had to complain to the district office twice before they did anything about it).

Dazzleaire is also often found on eBay.. but watch who you buy from there. Some are reasonable and some are way over priced. Ioffer.com is a good place to watch also bidville.com. there's a few other yarns that are real similar to Dazzleaire, but unfortunately I think they're also discontinued. Redheart puff is one of them. Can't remember the names of the others right offhand. (brain dead with this cold).

oh.. and a hint for searching ebay.. do search misspellings. Like Dazzel or Dazzle-aire or Dazle. You'll be surprised what turns up sometimes.

Good Hunting.

• Replies 962
  • Created
  • Last Reply

omg! I hve just read 351 posts over 36 pages re hats! I havent laughed so much in a long time... the beach balls, the bashful sons, proud hubs and the ever so cute children, complete with scowls and chocolate milk. and as for Lydia, she looks like a hellava tough cookie! (lol)

obtw the hats are pretty amazing as well. I am soooo impressed by your energy and enthusiism I must try me one of the UBW and beachball patterns!

Hi everybody wave2.gif I know I've been a little scarce lately with messages on this thread, but I have been reading them and enjoying the pictures of everybody's hats AND adorable kiddos!

I'm still having a lot of stomach trouble, although the first round of tests didn't show anything wrong with my gall bladder. My doctor gave me some meds & I'll have more tests done next week. On the bright side...I've lost about 5 lbs in the last week or so since I'm having trouble eating! worried.gif

I made 2 hats yesterday so I'm up to probably about 20 this year. Sure wish I had a digital camera so I could post photos for you all to see. I actually borrowed a "Quick Cam" so I could do that, but I couldn't get it installed because the software wasn't compatible with my new computer. thumbsdown.gif

The first hat I made yesterday was for an exchange. I liked it so well I had to make another one like it so I could keep one for myself. yay_confetti.gif It's kind of a solid pattern (not too holey) and has sort of a design in the stitches, and it hugs my head just right and doesn't shift around when I turn my head. I just heartpump.gif it! But then I showed it to my hubby last night and he said, "That looks like something from about 1935" so now I'm rethinking giving this to anybody! I like the "older" looking hats but maybe everybody doesn't?! But this is also the same man who loved that #*)#& beach ball hat and asked me to make him one in black and white! rolleyes.gif

Here's a hat for Week 5 - and can you believe we've already been at this for a month?! I'll also add it to the first thread as usual! Hope you enjoy!

Week 5 - "Lunatic" from http://crochetme.com/lucid-and-lunatic

There are 2 hats at that site (Lucid is the cloche; Lunatic is the hat) so if you're not thrilled with Lunatic, please feel free to do Lucid...and I'll probably post that one another week anyway. I saw some people posting about these awhile back, and they seemed to like Lunatic because it has a masculine look, which is sometimes harder to find. I'm gonna see if hubby likes that one and will settle for that one in his team's colors instead of having to make him that #*) beach ball hat. lol_haha.gif There is also a matching scarf for each hat, BTW.

I almost forgot...a couple of you had mentioned you'd donate $5 to the one gal's mission work to get several hat patterns that we could use. She had told me to keep an eye on her blog mid-week for instructions on how to donate and get the patterns, but she hasn't updated it yet. I'll let you know when I find out. Thank you for your patience. :hug

snip

Week 5 - "Lunatic" from http://crochetme.com/lucid-and-lunatic

There are 2 hats at that site (Lucid is the cloche; Lunatic is the hat) so if you're not thrilled with Lunatic, please feel free to do Lucid...

end snip

If you print out the instructions (as I do) be sure and grab the stitch descriptions and the materials list way up at the beginning near the LUCID details.

I had to put my crocheting down and sign back onto the computer and find them cause I had NO IDEA what a altsp was.

Of course, others probably pay more attention and are more thorough than me. I just wanted to start stitching right away!!! :lol

Is "Lion Brand Wool-Ease" a worsted weight yarn? Or is it a "chunky" type yarn? I am allergic to any kind of wool... makes me itch like CRAZY......

This set would be really nice in simply soft :c9

Tina

EDIT: I just HAD to point this out to everyone ->

For the optional fringe (ed. note: Heh, it's a lunatic fringe.):

Is "Lion Brand Wool-Ease" a worsted weight yarn? Or is it a "chunky" type yarn? I am allergic to any kind of wool... makes me itch like CRAZY......

Wool Ease is worsted weight. I'm not using Wool Ease either but not because of allergies. I want to use up this yarn stash! Squares and hats, hats and squares..................... Square hat, anybody? hmmm. I think I see a pattern in my future......

Square hat huh? I saw a cute hat on craftster.org that looked like a big square (maybe rectangle) then she sewed the 2 top corners and it looked like kitty ears! It was very cute! I'll try and find the post again....

Tina

EDIT: Here's one: (this one looks to "holey" for my likings)

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=18310.0

Here is the first one I saw: (I like this one better)

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=66854.0

Woolease comes in 2 weights. There is one called jiffy, and bulky, and now that I think of it there's sport and regular. So believe there's 4 weights.

I have a older Leisure ARts folder #2112 Fashion Hats to crochet (7 or so patterns), and one looks squarish, it's called Topper. Maybe a search would produce this pattern for you? I've had it awhile and see the copyright date as 1991, the designer is Mary Jane Protus if that helps one find it. There's 2 cute tams in it also. I've made I think 3 of this long ago. There's a really nice dressy ladies hat and a neat mix.

I'm still behind. Have only made 2. Been working feverishly on those scarfs for today was the deadline to mail for The Red Scarf Project. Now, will turn my attention to getting some hats done and picking which charity to send the first group to.

About the hats made with squares...I made one for my daughter a few years ago where I used some of the granny's daughters - or circles of hope - which is just the first round of a basic granny square. Anyway...I used about 8 of them I think, sewed them together to make a long strip, and then crocheted rows above it and below it (in the long sides of the strip) and made a hat with them. She loves it and some of her friends wanted hats like it, too. Maybe this gives somebody an idea, or maybe we can come back to this one week. I added it to the list just in case.

Wool-Ease is 4-ply worsted weight yarn. I looked it up at www.lionbrand.com to make sure, cuz I'm doing the same thing & using up some of my stash for my hats.

I'm starting on my hat this morning & I'm gonna do it in light blue and white or off-white, and I'm not doing every row in the alternating spike stitch (altsp) like the pattern calls for, just cuz I think it'll take longer. I'm doing the rows in plain sc's, and then every 8th row, I'll do the altsp for only 1 row. I think it'll change the look/texture just a little bit, but I feel lousy and I honestly don't have the patience to work the pattern right now. I'm anxious to see your pictures...if they look a lot better than mine, I'll make another one later in the week if I can.

What color(s) are you all using?? Inquiring minds do wanna know... :hook

Wanted to show off a cute hat I found! Striped Stocking Cap http://www.geocities.com/rainlm/stockingcap.htm

There are a few other cute patterns there too...

Tina

Cute blew and white stocking cap. How old is the cutie in the picture? Was wondering about the sizing on your pattern

Wool Ease comes in many weights:

CATEGORY 6 SUPER BULKY: BULKY, ROVING YARN

A very heavy yarn, about twice as thick as worsted weight. UK/Australia approximate equivalent: 14 ply

Wool-Ease® Thick & Quick®

• 6.00 oz./170 g (106 yd/97 m)

CATEGORY 5 BULKY: CHUNKY, CRAFT, RUG YARN

Heavier than worsted weight, bulky yarn works up quickly and easily for such things as hats, scarves, and throws. UK/Australia approximate equivalent: 13 ply

Wool-Ease® Chunky

• 5.00 oz./140 g (153 yd/140 m)

CATEGORY 4 MEDIUM: WORSTED-WEIGHT, AFGHAN, ARAN YARN

The most popular weight for knitting and crocheting. An ideal weight for throws and many adult garments. UK/Australia approximate equivalent: 10 ply, Aran weight

Wool-Ease®

• ·Solid, Heather, Twist: 3 oz/85g (197 yd/180m) balls·Sprinkles, Wheat, Mushroom, Rainbow Mist: 3 oz/85g (197 yd/180m) balls·Glitter/Multi-colors: 2.5 oz./70g (162 yd/146m) balls·Frosts: 2.5 oz./70g (162 yd/146m) balls·

Prints: 2.5 oz/70g (162 yd/146m) balls

CATEGORY 2 FINE: SPORT WEIGHT, BABY YARN
    A light weight yarn used for babywear, sweaters, and lighter throws. UK/Australia approximate equivalent: 8 ply

• Wool-Ease® Sportweight (discontinued)
    • 5.00 oz./140 g (435 yd/397 m) I'VE SEEN THIS RECENTLY IN STORES AND SO THEY MUST STILL HAVE SOME FROM BEFORE IT WAS DISCONTINUED. NICE YARN TOO BAD THEY DON'T MAKE IT ANY MORE.

There's some other good info too on their site if above descriptions aren't enough to aid in the yarn selection process.

Might be helpful when making substitutions in pattersn.

Wool-Ease is 4-ply worsted weight yarn. I looked it up at www.lionbrand.com to make sure, cuz I'm doing the same thing & using up some of my stash for my hats.

What color(s) are you all using?? Inquiring minds do wanna know... :hook

I can work with Wool-ease, but I don't anymore. I made a gorgeous shawl with it that I ended up giving away.. it made my back itch. Took me several wearings to realize it was the wool in the darn thing.

I made the Lunatic hat out of black and garnet RedHeart. I had to enlarge it a little, even the large was too small. geez. My son likes it.. but I made it even too large for him. I might have to make another. Which bites because this pattern is OK.. until you get to the top and have to decrease so much. I can't see where to put the decreases, so I just guessed.

Picture later today or tomorrow.

Lisa, my Lunatic hat was really small too, even though I made the large size. I thought my head was just big. :D Hubby said it looked too feminine anyway since I used light blue and white...so I put a little fold-up cuff at the bottom. I'll probably make another one in bolder colors for a more masculine look.

I wonder how this would look if you did only about 2 rows of each color and maybe used 3 or 4 different colors. I may try that, too.

Playing catch up and wanting to use the homespun (thats the bag of left overs I brought up from my stash in the basement), I decided wk 3 pattern wouldn't work. Tried it and the clusters are lost and way to tight with Homespun. So after frogging it, decided to do another UBW sorta hat. Sorta cause I started with a larger number of stitches, and also altered it after doing the row where you double your dc, I did dc and 2dc, so that hat is much larger. My husband has a large head. I figured if it were a bit tight for him it would fit the more average size heads. Can't go by me, cause I have a kids size head. We're the silly 2 extremes. I like the way it turned out and may do another couple. Seems a good pattern to use up my Homespun with. Open though to ideas ladies.

Anyone use anything but worsted weight yarn on wk 4? I'm thinking about whether or not I can use my Homespun for that? Thoughts?

Did you enjoy using that stitch Melissa? It's been a long time since I've used...on an afghan, keep thinking it would be easy to catch the yarn from the stitch that goes down the next row? Curious what you thought.

So...is your model a bit hum...shall we say relunctant. I know mine gave me a look when I had him try on last nights hat with the yarn still attached, checking sizes etc.:hook

Did you enjoy using that stitch Melissa? It's been a long time since I've used...on an afghan, keep thinking it would be easy to catch the yarn from the stitch that goes down the next row? Curious what you thought.

So...is your model a bit hum...shall we say relunctant. I know mine gave me a look when I had him try on last nights hat with the yarn still attached, checking sizes etc.:hook

I did enjoy the stitch. Didn't enjoy decreasing with it. That's what I didn't like about it.

My model looks reluctant but really not. Had to do it that way to show that mine turned out to be BIG!

Archived