Hat-a-Week

Croshay

• Replies 962
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Exactly how are you supposed to carry the yarn? I pretty much just left mine dangling until the next row and then pulled it up to crochet with.

When you carry it, it moves right along with you so to speak. It is always there, held across the top of your row, you stitch right on top of it into the stitch, so the stitch you're making actually has the 2nd color under and inside therefore not visible. Think of a piece of paper with an edge and the yarn laying right on top of the paper..if you punched holes in the top of the paper and ran yarn into it over top the yarn lying on top. Let me see if I have a good example picture wise in one of my books. Send me your email so I can send attachment for you.

My email is schcrochet@aol.com

When you carry it, it moves right along with you so to speak. It is always there, held across the top of your row, you stitch right on top of it into the stitch, so the stitch you're making actually has the 2nd color under and inside therefore not visible. Think of a piece of paper with an edge and the yarn laying right on top of the paper..if you punched holes in the top of the paper and ran yarn into it over top the yarn lying on top. Let me see if I have a good example picture wise in one of my books. Send me your email so I can send attachment for you.

My email is schcrochet@aol.com

You tend to carry the yarn for short distances, if it's one row to the next cutting and restarting is better. The only description I can find in my books says what I've already said....carry yarn with you and work over the top of it.

No luck finding a picture for you. Sorry:think

Ok, I've got the patterns for the first 3 wks, though am not a fan of double thickness yarn for hats. Too heavy, so am doing a variation of the UBW hat pattern. It's a pattern I've used bunches and altered from something years ago, but as I actually compare my notes to Dot's pattern, very similar.

Schcrochet – Not sure where I’ll donate my hats & probably won’t look into it ‘til sometime this fall.

Jen – On the Week 3 hat, I just carried the yarn up too. Have you gotten the hang of it yet?

Everybody – Sorry I’ve been a little scarce...been running to the dr./hospital & having some tests done...stomach trouble...thinking it’s my gall bladder but they haven’t been able to pinpoint it yet. No fun at all. :ohdear

Croshay - Sorry to hear about your tummy troubles. :yuck I went something very similar a few years ago and it did end up being my gall bladder. I hope they find a resolution for you soon! :hug

schcrochet - Thanks for the assistance! I'll give that a try next time and see if I can get the hang of it! :)

Jen – On the Week 3 hat, I just carried the yarn up too. Have you gotten the hang of it yet?

Everybody – Sorry I’ve been a little scarce...been running to the dr./hospital & having some tests done...stomach trouble...thinking it’s my gall bladder but they haven’t been able to pinpoint it yet. No fun at all. :ohdear

I figured it out. Although I committed a crochet sin. **GASP!** :eek

Instead of carrying the main color along, I took it across to the next row. It really doesn't look bad, you can't see it on the right side, and I didn't have to weave in ends. Yay! :clap

I really liked this pattern, and I have a lot of yarn left over. (Yes, I caved in and bought three new skeins of SS. I'm a wimp!!!) I think I'll make some more until I run out of yarn.

Here is the finished hat:

89169634_375c04c333_m.jpg

And here is my sinful act:

89169635_8c00d33e54.jpg

Croshay, I'm sorry to hear about your medical problems! I had my gall bladder taken out in 04. (Actually, the joke in my family is that I had most of my "disposable organs" removed last year. 5 surgeries in 6 months, and I was pregnant during most of them! :eek )

I was in so much pain from gall bladder attacks that I thought I was having heart attacks. The pain would start right in the center of my breast bone and radiate through to my back. It would literally take my breath away. But I've heard that gall bladder attacks can also show up as pains in the shoulders. :think

My life isn't much different since it's been taken out. I still eat terrible.....junk foods, fast food, high fat foods. The biggest change is that I'm a bit more "windy" than I've ever been in my life. If I overdo the bad foods, I do feel a little queasy. But that's only happened once or twice in almost two years.

Wowzers! Your hat turned out so nice!!! I started mine today, I am a newbie at crocheting so I wasn't sure what to do with the changing of the colors so I cut each one. I do not know how to 'carry' the MC. :think I'll have a lot of weaving to do at the end.

Jen - That's the same way I carried the yarn up on my Week 3 Hat. Also, thanks for the information on the gall bladder. The test they did yesterday (ultrasound) said my gall bladder was fine but it sure doesn't feel fine. The tech said it can still be malfunctioning and not show up on that test, so I'm sure they'll do more tests which get more and more invasive as we go. Yuk. She said my liver, pancreas, and kidney all looked fine, although I did see dark spots on my liver on the ultrasound monitor :eek but she said it was fine. Yesterday and last night I've been having some pain on my LEFT side - which doesn't seem like it could be from my gall bladder - and one of my friends said that could be my colon. I could be like you and have trouble with more than one thing in there, I guess. I lost a good friend to colon cancer last Sept. so I'm gonna be worried about this 'til we know for sure what's going on.

Everybody - I'll check the "to do" list for the next hat, and I'll update the first message in this thread.

I figured it out. Although I committed a crochet sin. **GASP!** :eek

Instead of carrying the main color along, I took it across to the next row. It really doesn't look bad, you can't see it on the right side, and I didn't have to weave in ends. Yay! :clap

I didn't carry the colors either. I fastened off each color. If I make another, I will carry colors. I will post a picture of mine later.

CroShay: Would you like me to make a button for this CAL?

Melissa - You can make a button if you'd like. Somebody made one earlier...and to be honest...I don't even know what to do with it unless you just copy it into your signature. (????) I think she was gonna put it in a blog to link to this crochet-along (but I've forgotten for sure and I don't have time to go through all the posts). I do remember the one made had a flower on it. Maybe you could do another one with a hat on it? I don't even know what's involved with making a button, so that's entirely up to you. Thanks, either way...

Country Bumpkin - You can just let one strand of yarn hang there after you've finished working with it. To switch colors, what I did was work around the hat until the slip stitch at the end to join the round, and when you insert the hook into the first stitch of the round to join, yarn over with the color you want the next round to be, actually making the slip stitch with the new color...and voila...the next stitch is in the new color. Then just leave the old color hanging there 'til you need to pick it up again. Hope this helps.

Finished wk 1 hat, my version of UBW. I'm not a big fan of double yarn hats, way to heavy and hot. I've had a similar pattern for years that I mess with based on the size I'm making. I have a really small head and it's great for me, but I also add stitches when making for others. I haven't figured out how to do a picture here or I'd post it. I know how to add pictures from my computer to other forums, but this one you need an url instead of finding it on your comptuer??

I'm gonna start wk 2 shortly, the Mitered Hat, though, I'm not sure I'll use the 3 colors in such big swatches.

For those of you who've done wk3 Tri Color Cloche...how much yarn did it take? I was floored when I read the pattern 6 oz each of 3 colors? Whoa, I may not make that one, thats a lot of yarn. I'm trying to use up my stash. Can someone clearify that please.

Carrying the yarn, not necessary for a hat where you're changing colors everyrow. Sorry, the previous questions asking about carrying yarn, I thought were just general crochet carrying yarn questions.:hook

Schcrochet - The Week 3 hat doesn't take nearly that much yarn. They probably just said that to get you to buy a big skein of each color. I'd say it uses more like 3 oz. total. I did 3 colors, and I think I only used probably 1/3 of each 3 oz. skein. Hope that helps.

Lovely spring type colors! My hat looks too winterish.

That's ok. I wouldn't wear either in the spring. I am sending mine to the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation in SD and they like bright colors. I've been to the Dakotas. In the winter, they need as much color as they can get. Very grey this time of year.

I finish my hat for week 3. I started it yesterday

morning and finished it last night. The hat that I made

is called "Amelia" It is design by one of

C'ville member Yarncat. I have been think of making

that whole series which is called 'Modern-Flapper-Hats'

And will still be doing the hat assign for each week.I guess I'll

be making two hats each week since it only took me a day to

make it . Btw the hat, I made with Caron simply soft and in red.

I didn't make the flower but I plan to make it today. If I can I will

try to scan a picture of it.thats the only thing I can do because

I don't have a camara right now:angry but soon I'll get one. :xfin

p.s I love seeing everybodies hats they look great.:hug:manyheart

What do you gals think of filling out a questionnaire about your favorite colors, hobbies, interests, etc.? Then if we have swaps or whatever, you have information about your exchange partner. I guess you could give me the information, and I could give it to your partner, so we wouldn't have to post it here on the forum where it's more public.

What do you all think?

Archived