Hat-a-Week

Croshay

I made my beach ball hat last night. It's cute, except I don't like the way it looks at the top. It's kinda puckery, like it's too full. I was going to put a pompom on top but I couldn't remember how to make them! scratchhead.gif I tried twice and they looked terrible. They were real thin, not full enough, and I couldn't seem to get the yarn tied tight enough around them. How do you make a pompom?? scratchhead.gif

I did mine a little differently; I changed colors after 12 rows. I made it in blue and white, alternating the 2 colors every 12 rows. Then I added 4 rows of sc around the bottom for an edging. My husband even said he liked it and wouldn't mind having one like it for himself in different colors. Ugh...'cuz I didn't like making it very much...I did the whole thing in the back loops only and I didn't think I'd EVER get done. rolleyes.gif I wonder if using a hook one size larger would make this large enough for an adult. Did anybody else try that?

• Replies 962
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I undid the seam at the top of my beach ball hat. I just don't like the way it looks. The directions say to crochet in blo up the side and across the top...well there are no sts on the top to work in the blo. How did you all do this?

I'm just about ready to throw this thing out the window. :irk

To make pom poms, you can either use the two cardboard circles method described several places online. Here's one:

http://www.ehow.com/how_5887_make-pompoms.html

another:

http://www.fiber-images.com/Free_Things/How_Tos/how-to_make_pompom.htm

OR.. you can do as I do..

I find a sturdy piece of cardboard or plastic (last time I used a tiny tupperware lid) less than 3 inches wide and wrap my yarn around it many times (at least 200.. last time was 150, but with doubled yarn). Then thread a yarn needle with some of the yarn and draw it all the way though and tie it off, being sure to catch all the yarn you wound around the cardboard or lid. Leave long ends for sewing to your project.

Then go to the opposite side of where you tied it off, and CUT the yarn. There's your pompom!!!

If it's too floppy for your liking, trimming the ends will make it stand up.

I read somewhere online that people use a fork to make pom poms.. I can't quite visualize that.

Hope this makes sense.

I undid the seam at the top of my beach ball hat. I just don't like the way it looks. The directions say to crochet in blo up the side and across the top...well there are no sts on the top to work in the blo. How did you all do this?

I'm just about ready to throw this thing out the window. :irk

ROFL.. mine looked horrid too.. I hid the mess with a pompom. I'll get some pics up asap.

GarnetGoldHat.jpg

Hurray for my son for modeling!!! (the only way I could get him to do it was to promise not to take a pic of his face.. :lol)

I changed every 12 rows, but had to add another section to fit our big heads. I'm tired of this, although I like the edgings or brims or bands ya'll added, I'm putting this away for now (and I can see my pompom needs evening up).

It's done in RH Claret and Gold.

Ktornatola - How did you finish the top of your beach ball hat? Yours doesn't look so odd-shaped like mine does, and the directions don't make sense to me on how to finish the top. Yours looks like the sections are all even and come up nice and even on top...mine doesn't. :scrachin

Lisa - Thanks for the help with the pompom. I'm going to try it now. I hafta admit, I can't imagine why anybody would wanna make those little tiny ones with a fork...the BIG ones are frustrating enough for me. :lol

Well I tried 2 more pompoms and they're both pathetic, too! I think part of the problem is that I'm not getting the yarn tied around it tight enough. This is making the yarn flimsy instead of standing up more, and the pieces are pulling through! I guess I'll have to wait 'til somebody else is at home with me, to hold it real tight for me.

I've never heard of somebody so POMPOM CHALLENGED!! :rant

Karin4Christ - How do you like your Knifty Knitter? I saw some hats online earlier today made with one, and they really looked good. Is it much faster than knitting with needles? :knit

Everybody - For Week 3, how about if we try the Tri-Colored Cloche at http://www.caron.com/projects/ss/cloche.html? I know at least one of you have already made this (I think Lisa), but it's the next one on the list! By the way, if you all stumble across a hat you'd like to make, please share it with us and I'll put it on our "to-do" list. :hook

Hi all, I'm still here, just really, really crazy busy this week! :rolleyes

Lea - Just thought I'd let you know that my nephew's girlfriend shares in the LeAnna team! :U

Lisa - I love your hat! :heart Those colors look great together and your Pom Pom looks big and perfect to me. :wink

Croshay - I've been :help in schoolwork too so I completely understand. :rock As for your trial and tribulations with the pom poms...all I can say is that I am petrified of those things so I think it's fabulous you keep working at it! :applause I am so excited about week 3's pattern!!! :bounce I've been dying to make this pattern so now I HAVE to! :laughroll

Ok, well I'm off to finish up my week 2 hat! Wish me luck all!

Croshay....sorry you're having such a difficult time with the hat. The directions say to sl st the top....but I just ran thread thru the loops and tightened it. I think it looks better that way. If you need more help, let me know!

Kim:hug

Hi everybody

I have decided to join this cal because I love making hats last week I made

this hat its by marlodc. It was a birthday present for my niece which is today

she love it when I show it to my sister her mom she told me she wanted one

too.So thats what I'm going to be making for next week another one. The one

I made is Jo-Anns Sensations Angel Hair in light green. I really like making it.

but I made a few changes. I stop the increases on round 7 after that on round

8 and 9 I did them with front post stitches on round 10 I did it in hdc, the

next round I did it like on round 14 in the pattern I think it came out pretty well.

I almost forgot I also made her a small purse to carry her cell phone,wallet and

keys I made it the like the cloche she love it too. When I saw her reaction to

her presents I felt great.:manyheart

Hi girls,

I'm behind on my hats. So far only made the one. I'm busy finishing up a sweater for my 12 year old DGS. His party is Sunday, and I have 1 sleeve and the hood to go to be finished. then I'll catch up on the hats...

Your hats look great.

Patty in MI

suggestions:

ripple hat:

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2878

The next few hats are from a foreign company called DROPS. These patterns might be a little challenging.. as in some of them are in british terms (ie, what they call double is our single ~i think~). Also, I have NO IDEA what the yarn they recommend for the patterns is like.

I have no problems with not adopting any of the drops patterns for our project.. I'm just throwing things out there. :)

baby hat (last pattern on the page.. rest are knitted)

http://www.garnstudio.com/lang/en/visoppskrift.php?d_nr=b6&d_id=6〈=us

a different beret:

http://www.garnstudio.com/lang/en/visoppskrift.php?d_nr=93&d_id=42〈=en

slouch type hat:

http://www.garnstudio.com/lang/en/visoppskrift.php?d_nr=93&d_id=26〈=en

newsboy type hat:

http://www.garnstudio.com/lang/en/visoppskrift.php?d_nr=93&d_id=22〈=en

cloche:

http://www.garnstudio.com/lang/en/visoppskrift.php?d_nr=92&d_id=23〈=en

Ok, here is my week 2 hat. I used the Staten Island hat pattern from my "Little Box of Hat and Scarves". I really liked the pattern, but I usually have to go up a hook size and I automatically did this and now the hat is too big for the person it was intended for. Oh well....it's still a fabulous pattern and I'll know next time not to go up a hook size :lol

SI.jpg

Ooooh, I like the week 3 hat too:)

I didnt make the beach ball hat but made a couple of preemie hats instead.

But I will make this weeks hat and its done with SS-my favorite:yay

I know that I have been so bad by not posting pics but I have been so swamped with projects, deadlines and my DD's baby shower which is tomorrow...actually today since its after midnight here.

I will try to get caught up and post some pics on my blog soon;)

Modeling her Week #3 hat, Lydia is wearing the "Bobbled Cloche" from Vogue Knitting's Crocheted Hats On The Go. I used Rio De La Plata 100% wool yarn in "Pink Lemonade."

Although the hat looks a tad big on Lydia, it fits me perfectly, fat head and all.

Pict0094.jpg

Is it too late to join this CAL? I won't be able to post much since I am moving up north for the next 7 months to live with my parents while DH is deployed to Afghanistan and they only have dial-up. I love hats and really want to make some.

I don't know if I can keep up with 1 a week though since I am working on designing my own baby dresses in thread and also testing patterns for http://www.crochetgarden.com and now have the opportunity to sell some of my own designs to a fancy schmancy boutique but I figure if the patterns are quick enough I could get them done in an hour or two.

What is the requirement for posting?

Is it too late to join this CAL? I won't be able to post much since I am moving up north for the next 7 months to live with my parents while DH is deployed to Afghanistan and they only have dial-up. I love hats and really want to make some.

I don't know if I can keep up with 1 a week though since I am working on designing my own baby dresses in thread and also testing patterns for www.crochetgarden.com and now have the opportunity to sell some of my own designs to a fancy schmancy boutique but I figure if the patterns are quick enough I could get them done in an hour or two.

What is the requirement for posting?

I'd say jump on in...I dont think there's a requirement for a weekly hat.. this is more like a cheering squad to motivate each other.

I have dialup and it's not that difficult to post. Getting pictures up does take some time.. but it can be done. Sounds like you are a busy lady. Look forward to seeing some of your work.

Archived