Hat-a-Week

Croshay

Ginny - What are you taking in school, and are you going for a degree? I'm majoring in Accounting and working on my Bachelor's. I'm actually really fed up with my school and thinking of transferring to the University of Louisville next semester. Liked your hat...reminds me of a granny square...bet it's quick and easy.

Ktornatola - Thanks for the tip on how to do the top of the beach ball hat. I'm gonna try to wrap that one up after I get some schoolwork done this morning.

AngelFairy and LeaderLadyK and Anna - :welcome to the group. We don't have any posting requirements (messages OR pictures) or even requirements on when/how many hats to make...just do what you want, when you want, and of course share messages and pictures if/when you can. :hook We all love seeing each other's projects.

Lisa - Thanks for the suggestions (and for posting the link for the newbies)! I copied them all onto our famous to-do list. I only clicked on the first link so far, and I really like the ripple hat...very different! I like ripples and one of these days I'll finish that ripple cape I've been working on for myself. And as much as I hate to say it :eek I think that hat would look cute with a pompom on top. Just don't try to hold me to that 'cuz it might end up out the window along with this beach ball hat.

April - Already done with Week 3?! This girl is fast! Loved the color of your latest hat...and Lydia is still lookin a little pale...do you ever think of gettin her a little sunshine? :laughroll

Everybody - I'd thought about doing a hat exchange within our group...but I really don't have enough time to take on anything else right now. If we have enough interest, maybe someone else here would like to coordinate it. :think

• Replies 962
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ginny - What are you taking in school, and are you going for a degree? I'm majoring in Accounting and working on my Bachelor's. I'm actually really fed up with my school and thinking of transferring to the University of Louisville next semester.

Croshay,

Where do you go to school now? I grew up in Lexington, and didn't move to Texas until 2005. I've been trying to get back to the Bluegrass state ever since. :manyheart

Checking in to let you know that I made the WBU hat last night in about 45 minutes. (I was extremely tired so it took me a little longer than I would have liked.) Anyway, now I am only behind one hat. I will make two this week. Maybe another WBU hat and then I love the hat for this week. The tri-color one.

Later today when baby is napping, I will try to post a picture of the Wbu hat made last night. I have three days left to clean my house and pack up everything I need for 7 months into 5 suitcases. (yes, I only get 5 suitcases for 7 months) Needless to say, I have been sorting and rearranging since last Monday and I really have no clue how I am going to get it all in. (remember that I also have baby to pack for and she requires a lot of stuff.)

Thanks for letting me join this CAL. :D

April - Very nice hat! :tup

Croshay - I'm actually majoring in accounting too! I'm currently pursuing my BS in Accounting at University of Phoenix in their on-line program, but I'm tired of all the run around they have been giving me and I'm in the process of trying to transfer out ot Indiana Wesleyan. If our group wants to do a swap I can try to do the coordinating. I've never done it before, but I love spreadsheets and I think I could keep all the data that way and then do the pairing and e-mails. :)

Jen - I'm in Louisville and attending Sullivan University. If you grew up in Lexington, how did you end up in TX, if it's not too personal?!

Anna - Good luck with packing. I guess you'll have to be very selective about what to take since you're so limited. By the way, I'm on dial-up too, and I don't have any trouble with this site.

Ginny - How far along have you gotten with Univ. of Phoenix? I've got my Assoc. degree so I think that makes me a junior, but I don't know right off exactly how many credits I have. I do know that if I transfer to U of L, I'll lose some of my credits. That's my main hesitation, but I'm going to schedule an appt. with the transfer department and see how it all works and how many credits I'll be able to keep. I think online classes are ideal for people with very busy schedules <like me!> and this quarter I'm taking ONLY online classes. I'm only in 2 classes since my goofy school lost my registration and I ended up getting into my classes late...and I'm still struggling to get caught up...one of MANY reasons why I want to leave my school. :irk Also, thanks for volunteering to coordinate a hat exchange. Let's see how many people respond in favor of it!

I didn't sign on to be part of this CAL but I have enjoyed the postings very much. I just made a hat and thought it would be more fun to post here. Seems like you are all pretty lax on the rules and what not. I frogged this so many times it's unbelievable, but I finally got exactly the result I was after. Sorry folks, no pattern, just lots of DCs.

Crusher.jpg

Jen - I'm in Louisville and attending Sullivan University. If you grew up in Lexington, how did you end up in TX, if it's not too personal?!

DH works for Texas Instruments, and they closed down the plant in Kentucky where he was working. Since I'm a SAHM he was feeling worried about being without any income and took a job TI offered him in Texas.

I really miss being home, mostly we don't have any family here and I miss spending holidays with them. Texas has it's good points, but after all is said and done, I'd rather live back home.

My mom got her Master's from Sullivan Univ, and my uncle got both his BA and Law Degree from UofL. I almost went to UofL myself, but ended up going to UK.

DH is finishing his BA through an online university, Saint Leo out of Florida. It's been a great program, and it's fully accredited. It's classes are on the quarter system, which is great! Only 8 weeks per quarter and you're on to the next classes. I **wish** my classes had been on the quarter system, cuz 1/2 way into the semester I was sick to death of school. LOL! :yuck

DH is due to graduate in May. YAY! :clap:cheer:clap:cheer:clap:cheer:clap:cheer

He said the first thing he's going to do is look for a job in Kentucky. :hook

I'm so excited about this week's hat! I only have 3 colors of Caron SS here...and guess what...they're Black and Autumn Red...2 of the 3 colors used in the pattern...so I'm doing mine just like theirs. :yay I don't know yet if I'll go buy some of the gray at the end, or if I'll make the whole thing in the Black and Autumn Red. I'm on Round 3 so far...

DH works for Texas Instruments, and they closed down the plant in Kentucky where he was working. Since I'm a SAHM he was feeling worried about being without any income and took a job TI offered him in Texas.

I really miss being home, mostly we don't have any family here and I miss spending holidays with them. Texas has it's good points, but after all is said and done, I'd rather live back home.

My mom got her Master's from Sullivan Univ, and my uncle got both his BA and Law Degree from UofL. I almost went to UofL myself, but ended up going to UK.

DH is finishing his BA through an online university, Saint Leo out of Florida. It's been a great program, and it's fully accredited. It's classes are on the quarter system, which is great! Only 8 weeks per quarter and you're on to the next classes. I **wish** my classes had been on the quarter system, cuz 1/2 way into the semester I was sick to death of school. LOL! :yuck

DH is due to graduate in May. YAY! :clap:cheer:clap:cheer:clap:cheer:clap:cheer

He said the first thing he's going to do is look for a job in Kentucky. :hook

Approximately where in TX are you Jen? (don't tell me anything that might compromise your online safety.. just general area). I'm in the NE Texas area.. what they call the Pineywoods. Some call it being behind the Pine Curtain :lol

I can empathize, I'm a transplant too. Been in Texass since 81.. and it was a man who lead me here too! The things we do for love!!

I feel like Dorothy at times, "There's no place like home" :D

Croshay - I'm about the equivalent of second semester junior I think. I'll lose some credits transferring but IWU is cheaper and the administration seems to do a better job so I hope it will be worth it in the end. :goodorbad

Tepper Wear - What a cute hat! :yes

Here is the promised pic of the hat I made last night from week one.

I used Wool-ease. One strand of navy blue and one strand of dark green.

th_100_1801_edited.jpg

I am planning on making this hat for week number two since I am not too thrilled with the hat that was assigned that week.

Hopefully I will get caught up this week and can make the goal of 52 hats by the end of the year. We will see. It would be neat to take a picture at the end of the year of all 52 hats together. :)

I'll be starting week #3 hat today. I can't wait. Somebody, I think Croshay, asked how my hat turned out with the Knifty Knitter. The loom was very easy to use and the hat knitted up very quickly. I used the blue loom and made a child's sized hat. I tried it on my four year old and could barely get it on her head. (But then again she has a BIG head. Believe me, it felt big giving birth to her). The hat fit my seven year old daughter just right (she's the one who is slim all over - including her head!) I will definitely make more hats on the Knifty Knitter.

Approximately where in TX are you Jen? (don't tell me anything that might compromise your online safety.. just general area). I'm in the NE Texas area.. what they call the Pineywoods. Some call it being behind the Pine Curtain :lol

I'm in the DFW area, otherwise known as North Texas. (Which is strange since the panhandle is MUCH more "North" geographically speaking.)

My biggest regret is that I haven't seen as much of the state in the five years we've lived here. I've been as far south as Waco (to see the Dr. Pepper Museum), and across the state from Texarkana through Amarillo on the way to see family on either side of Texas.

But I really, really want to go to Sea World and Nasa, and the beach. Unfortuantely, DH only gets on vacation a year, and we're always using it to go see family. **sigh** That and a lack of funds has kept us from doing the fun stuff. :cry

I am planning on making this hat for week number two since I am not too thrilled with the hat that was assigned that week.

I tried making that hat once, but got stumped at the end. It says something about slip stitching into the remaining loops (or something like that) and I could figure out what that meant. Maybe you'll figure it out and explain it to me. It's a great looking hat!

Hey Jen,

I am starting on the hat tonight. (really should be packing and cleaning but I must, repeat MUST have SOME crochet time today and I need something easy. Not the thread projects I usually do.)

I will definately let you know how I handle the end. I have never made this hat before.

I was actually going to ask if it was on this CAL's list for the year or if it could be added. If it were then I could wait until it came up to do it. (or I could make it again in another color...)

I'm getting a little confused. :think :think :think Is there an official hat for each week or is the point just to make one hat a week and post a picture of it? I see some posts that list the hat of the week, but it also seems like everyone is making different hats. Also in some posts it is not clear to me if a pattern is for the "official" hat of the week or is a suggestion for a future hat of the week. We are in week 3 (I think) but way more that 3 patterns have been given.Or maybe we do what ever hat we want each week and the hat of the week is only a suggestion?

I was also wondering what day of the week the hat of the week is announced. If I knew that I think it would be easier for me to follow along.

Thanks

I think it would be easier to find the weeks hat pattern if each week had it's own thread? I can't imagine wading through 100's of pages by the end of the year... kwim?

If for instance someone wanted to find the link to a hat that was given on say week 44 or around that time period it would be much easier to find the weekly threads vs. all the sifting through on one main thread. Just an idea?

I think it would be easier to find the weeks hat pattern if each week had it's own thread? I can't imagine wading through 100's of pages by the end of the year... kwim?

Or if the first post of this thread was edited each week with the new hat link added like:

Week 1: this hat

Week 2: this hat

Jen – I also have some family members that got degrees from Sullivan; my husband, my mother, and my mother-in-law. It’s not what it used to be...I don’t know what their deal is, but they’ve definitely gone downhill. I’ve even heard of a couple businesses that refuse to hire Sullivan graduates...now that’s pretty bad. I’m with ya on the quarter semesters though. That’s what we have at Sullivan, as I guess you know...but if I transfer to U of L, it’ll be longer semesters. I need to find out how long it will take me to finish up my degree...I don’t know if that means it will take longer since the terms are longer, or if I just need to take more classes each term. If/When you guys get back to Kentucky, do you know what city you’ll be moving to?

Ginny – I’m probably a second semester junior, too. The only problem is that if/when I transfer to the other school, I’ll lose some credits and have to basically take more classes to make up the hours.

Anna – Liked your hat...also the next one you’re going to make. You probably won’t regret not making the beach ball hat. I never could get the top of mine to come together like I wanted. I’m gonna hafta twist Kim’s arm to send me hers that looks perfect on top so I can get a good look at how to fix it. :wink

AngelFairy – Here are the hats we’ve done so far:

Week 1 - Dot’s UBW (or CAW) hat from http://patbythehook.blogdrive.com/archive/35.html (1/1)

Week 2 - Mitered Crocheted Adult Hat Pattern – striped like a beach ball – from

http://helpinghearts0.tripod.com/id30.html (1/8)

Week 3 – Tri-Colored Cloche from http://www.caron.com/projects/ss/cloche.html (1/14)

Please feel free to make or skip any of them

Karin – Thanks for the info on the knifty knitter. How long would you say it takes to knit a hat on there?

Anna – I’ll be glad to add that hat to our list, but I didn’t see a link to the pattern. Can you give us one? Maybe I just missed it?

Ilah – We do have a particular hat for each week, but it’s always optional. Sometimes the gals choose to do a different hat of their own choosing. It’s completely up to you how you want to participate. I’ve been posting a new pattern on Sat. or Sun.

Theresa – I had the same thought about having different threads, but I thought it might be more confusing for people to try to remember which hat was which week, then trying to find that thread. I kinda just did what the other CAL’s do and left them all together, at least for now. Also, some people will be wrapping up one week and others will be starting the next week, so I thought that could also cause confusion.

TepperWear – Good idea on posting all the links at one time. I need to come up with a way to give all the info to the newbies instead of having to look it all up and type it out each time. I wonder if we can post it somewhere so that it can just be edited each week, with that week’s hat added. And maybe the answer is to have a thread for each week. I’ll give that some thought. :think

Everybody - I finished my Week 3 Cloche last night. I did it all in black and autumn red Caron SS, but I had to add a couple extra rnds to make it long enough, and I also added a rnd of sc's at the end in black (last rnd in pattern was in red) to give it what I thought was a more finished look. One of these days I'll be able to post pictures for you all to see. :rolleyes I think I'm up to about 15 hats that I've made since Christmas.

I’m gonna hafta twist Kim’s arm to send me hers that looks perfect on top so I can get a good look at how to fix it. :wink

lol! Give me your address and I'll send ya one! I think I'm the only one who enjoyed that hat....lol Finished the Caron cloche...that one was fun too!

Kim :hook

I did my week 3 hat last night. But it doesn't look right for some reason. I must be getting daft because the directions didn't make sense to me on round 11 and up. It turned out okay I guess, but not like th picture. I started with a burgundy and tan at the top and then went to navy. I thought then it looked like a flag, so I just continued with the navy instead of switching back and forth.

I also agree that maybe the week's hat could be posted on the original post so we always know where to find it?

My hubby's grandmother asked me to make some hats to donate to our church for the homeless. There is another lady that makes them but she does not want to make sizes that fit men, only women and children so I have taken on the men size hat project. I figured since I am making a hat a week anyways, I might as well whip out some in bigger sizes :) I am sticking to the UBW pattern since it fit my hubby's big ole noggin. lol. I will try out the patterns posted but if you see my posting pictures of the same ole UBW pattern, you'll at least know why. Here are 2 I made on Saturday. I'll count them both as my week 3.

_haw-week3.jpg

Archived