Hat-a-Week

Croshay

What a lively, chatty group we have!!! :rock It's great!

I have finished week 3. I love this pattern and will probably make more of them. Here is a quick pic :photo

TCC.jpg

Anna - I really like your Week 1 hat! That is extremely pretty! :U

I would love to see how your Week 2 hat turns out. I was trying to make this pattern for hat swap parnter and after 3 tries finally gave up. :rolleyes It was an easy pattern but although I usually crochet too tight, my hats kept ending up WAY too big. :huh If you are interested, here are some links to my attempts:

First Try

Second Try

Third Try

Tepper Wear - I really like your idea of listing and linking all the patters to the first page. :h5

• Replies 962
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went ahead & added the hat for each week to the first message in this thread. That way everybody knows just where to find it each week. I also gave a quick little run-down of what we're doing, in case any new people are interested.

Thanks for the input! :hug

Free hat & scarf pattern for today (Jan. 16, 2006) only.

http://www.anniesattic.com/free_pattern_day/index.html

If you don't copy this (to harddrive, flash, cd, whatever) or print it out, it will be gone tomorrow.

It is made with double ended hooks.. and the afghan stitch, so it might not be for everyone. But it sure is pretty.

Ginny Its funny you mention that it turned out too big because I am about halfway done with mine (past the inc. section) and I was thinking it was kind of large. I will wait until I get to the end and see what I think. Your third attempt looks pretty close. Was that a good one?

Lisa Thanks so much for that link. I copied it into word and saved it on my computer. I will definately be trying that one out this year. :D

Ginny Its funny you mention that it turned out too big because I am about halfway done with mine (past the inc. section) and I was thinking it was kind of large. I will wait until I get to the end and see what I think. Your third attempt looks pretty close. Was that a good one?

Anna - The third one was as good as I got it. It was still a little too big. I think I dropped down one or two hook sizes to get there.

Here is my week 3 hat modeled by my oldest DD Katie. I thought this thing came out big so I rolled the brim. I started with the Wine and Tan and then added the navy. Once I did that I thought it looked like a flag, so I just stuck with the navy. I added the star buttons.

flaghat.jpg

And I did a couple more UBW hats - I used white RH and RH baby variegated. I like the way it came out.

hats.jpg

I just got my March 2006 Crochet! magazine and it has the CUTEST hat & scarf combo in it. I think I might make it for week 3 instead of the Caron since I already made it.

Only problem is.. I dont have the yarn it calls for, and my Walmart sure doesn't have it (we're in the boonies and selection is blah) and I don't wanna drive 40 miles to a decent crafting store.

Must be time to raid the hidden stash. Does anyone else store their extra yarn in the bathtub or is it only me? (We all prefer showers).

I just got my March 2006 Crochet! magazine and it has the CUTEST hat & scarf combo in it. I think I might make it for week 3 instead of the Caron since I already made it.

Only problem is.. I dont have the yarn it calls for, and my Walmart sure doesn't have it (we're in the boonies and selection is blah) and I don't wanna drive 40 miles to a decent crafting store.

Must be time to raid the hidden stash. Does anyone else store their extra yarn in the bathtub or is it only me? (We all prefer showers).

Is this the one with the green and white stripes and the flowers? If so I love it too!

Is this the one with the green and white stripes and the flowers? If so I love it too!

No, it's the pink with white trim, Cloche and Scarf. But it does have flowers. I don't remember a green and white stripe in this issue.

I remembered I had some cotton-ease and started working it up last night. Either my gauge is waaaayyy off (a definite possibility) or someone has some really tiny heads. I had to do an extra increase row again. I think I remember the pattern saying the hat was 20" when complete. I must find my tape measure and measure my head.

Lisa - Umm...nope...can't say I've ever stored my yarn in the bathtub. :ha And about that hat pattern that says it's 20"...according to some info I saved on hat and head sizes...that should fit a 3-10 year old child. So I'd say their pattern is really small.Everybody - I love the Week 3 hats you've shown us! Also the UBW's some of you have been making, too!

Everybody - I thought I'd go ahead and post these hat/head sizes that I copied from "somewhere" online (even though I can't remember where I got 'em). Maybe this will be helpful.

Head Size Chart - knitted or crocheted hats should be made about 1- 1 1/2" smaller than the head circumference, as the hat will stretch. Height includes a brim. They can be made taller if you want a large brim.

Preemies:

1 -2 lbs

Baby's Head Circumference is 9" - 10" (so hat circ. should be about 7.5" -8") Height of hat should be 3.5 - 4"

2 - 3 lbs

Circumference 10" - 11 1/4" Hat height = 4"

4 - 5 lbs

Circumference 11 1/2" - 12 1/2" Hat height = 4 to 4.5"

5 1/2 - 6 lbs

Circumference 12 1/2" - 13" Hat height = 5 to 5.5"

Newborn

Circumference 13" - 14 " Hat height = 5.5 to 6"

Baby - 3 to 6 months Hat height= 6.5 - 7"

Circumference: 14" - 17 "

Baby 6 to 12 months Hat height = 7.5"

Circumference: 16" - 19 "

Toddler - preschooler (12 months - 3 years) Hat height = 8"

Circumference: 18" to 20 "

Child (3 - 10 years) Hat height =8.5"

Circumference: 19" - 20 1/2"

Pre-teens and Teens Hat height 9-10"

20 1/2" - 22"

Adult Woman

Circumference: 21 - 23 1/2" Hat height = 11" - that includes a roll up brim

Adult Man

Circumference: 22 - 24 1/2" Hat height = 11"-11.5" - that includes a roll up brim

No, it's the pink with white trim, Cloche and Scarf. But it does have flowers. I don't remember a green and white stripe in this issue.

I remembered I had some cotton-ease and started working it up last night. Either my gauge is waaaayyy off (a definite possibility) or someone has some really tiny heads. I had to do an extra increase row again. I think I remember the pattern saying the hat was 20" when complete. I must find my tape measure and measure my head.

Oh I'll have to go back and look at that one. :think I think I was thnking of one in Annie's Crochet. It was a kids hat - so cute!

Someone posted on Crochetville a "guideline" for making hats in the round. I'll add the post later when I find it. But basically she said to keep increasing the circle until it would fit on the recipient's head (child/adult).

My question is, if the general rule is 19 inches for a child's hat, does that mean the flat circle should be 19 inches, then start sc around to make the "sides?" (Am I being clear as mud?)

Generally, I perfer hat made in the round because there isn't any seam. I just need to learn how to make a flat brim. I'm not keen on the roll brim.

Jen - Here's how I do a flat brim. BTW I'm not the best at explaining things but I'll TRY! If you're working from the top down, like on the UBW hat...what I do at the bottom of the hat is TURN after the last round...so you'll now be working back UP the front of the hat...then work a couple more rnds of dc's & a rnd of sc if ya like...so that lays flat against the hat instead of rolling up. Also, when I do that, I do that first rnd in the back loops only, which leaves sort of a ridge around the bottom of the hat and actually helps it lay flatter than if you go into both loops. I hope that makes sense!

I've got another hat pattern that I like a lot...but you make the brim first...and it's like 12 or 13 stitches worked back and forth, back and forth for like a zillion rows, then you work in the side of that big long strip to go up the hat. (Hope that makes sense too.) But it doesn't lay as FLAT as I'd like for it to, so I need to work on that. It's a copy from a magazine and I'm guessing it's still under copyright, or else I'd post the pattern here for everybody. It's called a watch hat or cap and it's basically dc's with stitches here and there that go around the post of the stitch below, to make like a striped pattern going up the hat. OK, so I told ya I wasn't good at explaining! I think that's my favorite of the ones I've made so far.

Jen - Here's how I do a flat brim. BTW I'm not the best at explaining things but I'll TRY! If you're working from the top down, like on the UBW hat...what I do at the bottom of the hat is TURN after the last round...so you'll now be working back UP the front of the hat...then work a couple more rnds of dc's & a rnd of sc if ya like...so that lays flat against the hat instead of rolling up. Also, when I do that, I do that first rnd in the back loops only, which leaves sort of a ridge around the bottom of the hat and actually helps it lay flatter than if you go into both loops. I hope that makes sense!

You posted this before on the UBW post earlier, and I tried it on both hats and loved it! But somehow between then and now I forgot all about it. LOL!

I still need to figure out the circle dimensions for in-the-round hats though. If we could find out the measurements, it might make adjusting hat sizes a lot easier. :cheer

I still need to make this weeks hat. Anyone make it in something other than Simply Soft? All my SS is already committed to a project.

Jen - Did you see the post I made earlier with the hat & head sizes? Did that answer your question, or do you need something else?

If you're still on - and anybody else - wanna meet in the chat room?

I saw your post. However, is that for the crown or forehead? I guess I'm hoping that if I can figure out the measurement for the flat circle (before the rounds of sc) that it will be easier to fit hats for people. KWIM?

I have a hat suggestion!!!! Could the group make a crown?

http://www.moonarts.com/blog/free_patterns/pages/crochet-crown-print.htm

Then we could be the Hat-a-Week Divas! :manyheart

I finished week #3 hat today. Yeah for me!:clap I didn't think I would like it as much as I do. It is a little big for me but I like how the colors look. I used two shades of blue, a midnight blue and a grey blue. I also started another Knifty Knitter hat this morning. Its in a drab taupe shade. Perfect for a man, I hope.

I have a hat suggestion!!!! Could the group make a crown?

http://www.moonarts.com/blog/free_patterns/pages/crochet-crown-print.htm

Then we could be the Hat-a-Week Divas! :manyheart

Yay - a crown! I definitely need to make this for my weekly crochet group meetings. Thanks for the link Jen!

Oh and re: your question about yarn subs for the week #3 hat. I used Bernat Satin for mine as well as Phentex Dynasty. Unfortunately the Phentex is a Canadian yarn. :(

Archived