Hat-a-Week

Croshay

• Replies 962
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Lisa - Nice hats! What yarn did you use for your Week 4 hat?

Marnie - You have been busy!! I'm glad you're feeling better too. I too would like to know what pattern you used for the last hat in the top row.

Thanks. It's cottonease that I bought on clearance on a whim at HobbyLobby. I used a J hook instead of a K because CottonEase is just slightly smaller than other Worsted Weight and I thought a K hook would make the hat too lacey. I might have been wrong. I did do an extra increase round at the top of the hat, in the dc area, to make up for using smaller yarn and hook. Then when you start increasing in the sc area, you have to remember to add an extra sc in each pattern repeat or it won't come out right.

I'd like to know the pattern Marnie used also.

Oooooo.... I found another one to add to the list! A newsboy hat that looks pretty easy! (BTW it has the English and British crochet terms!)

http://www.freewebs.com/jrcldesigns/free_patterns/newsboycap.htm

Tina

EDIT: I also wanted to add this pattern: http://www.knittingfairy.com/freeTeaCozyHat.htm

It is knitted and it is a baby to 1 year size BUT my MIL knits and changed the needle size to 8 and casted on 40 instead of 54. She made one for my 3 yr old DD using 2 strands held together; one of a verigated baby yard and the other was the softest, silkiest novelty yarn made by No Boundaries (from Wal-Mart) I loved DD's hat so much I asked for one myself! MIL knitted mine (2 strands held together) of 2 different No Boundaries novelty yarns. Let me tell you, I have NEVER seen a warmer hat! I'll try and get pics posted later...

Just thought I'd say a gal on this site had some people testing a new child's hat pattern she'd written...so I asked her if we could use the pattern for our crochet-along. She said she'd give us several hat patterns if anybody would donate $5 for her mission work. If anybody is interested in donating, please let us know!

Wow, I actually was able to go back and read this whole long thread. Got to see lots of cool pictures. Sounds like most of us didn't care much for wk #2 hat, and I'm glad to see I wasn't the only one having trouble with it. I went with 2 colors, couldn't figure out where or when we were suppose to change colors, and like a couple of you decided the sc across the top didn't work very well. I did the draw string approach like several of you. I also added a pompom, but it's a rather limpy one. Adding the beautiful Italian yarn help only a little I think.

Someone asked where the button was...I actually made a note cause I wanted to see if I could figure out how to use it. It's in post #44

Airmedh thanks for the directions about the links in the signature area. I've been doing it backwards I think. Actually I've tried it so many different ways, I've completely lost track now. :hug :hug Thanks again

I love making hats, and I love this CAL! For weeks 3 & 4 I substituted other patterns. I really liked making the mitered hat, and I've made several UBW hats. This week, though, I must take a break from hats and finish the baby afghan. I love ready about everyone's progress!

I thought I'd throw my button out there for anyone that wanted to use it. I tried to draw a hat that looked crocheted on my doll.

Please remember to save the graphic to your hard drive. Then upload it to your server (or a free site such as photbucket.com) so you are not using my bandwith. Thank you!

hataweek-bumpkinisims2.gif

hataweek-bumpkinisims.gif

Thanks, I'm following some direction Cindy gave me. Got it successfully saved to my computer and successfully loaded it to my blog via a post, still trying to get it where it should be when I stare at the html code. :think

If I have the wrong discussion, I apologize in advance.

I seem to remember somewhere folks were discussing Caron Simply Soft and being disappointed that the skeins on sale at HobbyLobby a week or so ago were only the 3oz size.

I think I found a source for the 6oz skeins. It is online, but they have both the 3oz and the 6oz skeins and THEY'RE THE SAME PRICE!

http://www.shopcaron.com

I just ordered a color (CopperKettle) that Herrschners and an eBay seller both told me was discontinued. We'll see if the order goes through or not. I'm hopeful that directly from the manufacturer that they'll still have some of the yarn.

Again, sorry if posted in the wrong place.

If I have the wrong discussion, I apologize in advance.

I seem to remember somewhere folks were discussing Caron Simply Soft and being disappointed that the skeins on sale at HobbyLobby a week or so ago were only the 3oz size.

Again, sorry if posted in the wrong place.

I am not, by any means, the authority on such things, but since hat #3 is supposed to be made with simply soft, I think it's a fine place to bring it up.

Ok, so it's a bit small for her head, but here is my version of the frog hat. Not very creative, I used googly eyes.

THAT!! is adorable! YAY! :cheer You are fabulously creative!

Now you know how to do it and can make it bigger. I know that little one will love it! I know I do.

:nbook :pencil Note to self: Never make Hat #4 with Homespun again! difficult to see stitches...

Will post picture soon.

Thanks for that note. I'm just starting wk3 but was going to use Homespun. In fact thought while I had my bag of whats left for Homespun I would use it for everything until I ran out, then switch to another bag of something else. But....thanks to your note. Not on 4 when I get there.

Pictures of 1 and 2 on blog. 2 I like better with the edge turned up. Not much better, but better.

:hook

See what you think, it's pictured each way on the blog.

Pictures of 1 and 2 on blog. 2 I like better with the edge turned up. Not much better, but better.

:hook

See what you think, it's pictured each way on the blog.

I like hat #2 both ways. I agree with the fur. It is definitely a cute hat. Some outgoing teenager will love to wear it. I haven't made #1 or #2 yet. I'll get to them sometime...... :D

Melissa,

Nice job on the hat. But I LOVE the bedspread. did you make it? Is it thread or yarn? How long did it take to complete? lalalala.. I'm full of questions. :lol

:clap Melissacrochets....I would echo Lisaizme. Spread is fabulous. Just got from cruising your webpage. VERY NICE. I love your wk 4 hat, in the heavier yarn it looks completely different that those posted thus far. In fact, I thought I would probably pass wk 4 and do later as it seemed very springy too me. With the white stuff coming down outside Heavier, warmer and wintery seemed the way to go. Looked for a comment section on your page, but couldn't find it. Loved also your topper, mystery crochet, ripple afghan....love all the color (great way to use up left overs). I wanted to ask about 2 patterns, you have what appears to be a good crocheted mitten pattern. In the picture with tape measure and the white stole with the crosses. I love that, can you direct me as to webpage or book for those patterns?

Also, I finally managed to get buttons on my blog, but noticed your buttons are actually links....pretale.....how do you do that?:think

I haven't had a chance to start week #4 hat yet and not sure that I will. I've been working on finishing up a b-day present. If I don't get to it I'll do it next week. I've made a total of 38 hats since January and plan to have 200 to donate this year so I will get to it, just not this week.

Archived