Afghans. I think...

Cuddlefish

In Denmark an Afghan is a sheepskin vest as worn by hippies in the 70's. What's the difference between afghans and blankets?

Anyway, these Afghans(?) are old, but I just got them out to take pictures of them. The red one was the first major crochet project I ever made, I guess I wanted to test myself. It took a couple of years to complete it. :lol

rdstribet22yj.jpg

This one with the squares I made from leftovers from the other one. Those leftovers really contributed to my stash at the time!

lillahvidtorange28ey.jpg

The blue one only took a few months, but the yarn was thicker (mostly acryllic) while the red ones are 100% cotton.

blstribet6yz.jpg

I sorta feel like making more, but I can't come up with a proper excuse, as I live in a small flat, and the two of them already are just clogging up the closet. Oh well. :lol

in reference to afghans, blankets and vests, i guess it is the blanket and vest in the style in which the people of afghanistan make these things.

now in America it seems that blankets in general are referred to as Afghans, but i'm in Australia so i call them blankets or rugs.

if you want to make more you could always donate them to a women's refuge or give them to friends as presents... they are simply stunning!

Cuddlefish...I looked it up in the dictionary. An afghan is "a soft blanket or shawl, crocheted or knitted, esp. in a geometric design." A blanket is "a large piece of cloth, often of soft wool, used for warmth as a bed cover or a covering for animals".

Thanks for all the nice comments, and the definitions. :hug

I made the red ones from cotton for several reasons: I was a beginner, and had no experience in choosing yarns. I think I just liked the colours available in cotton, and the way it feels. Secondly, they were really intended to be bed spreads, so they didn't have to be all that warm. But we do have fairly warm summers, so they could still come in handy there. :)

Wow, they are so beautiful however you want to call them!!!!!!!!! you have them in your closet??????? :eek I would have them draped over the couch, or a chair, or even on a quilt rack..........show them off, they need to be seen and used!!

Archived