granny Squarelovers and chatters

Its been raining every day and last night there were a lot of storms with wind and tornadoes. Our dulcimer group played here Sun afternoon.   Someone said we had 50 in the audience which is really good for something like that.  Next week we play for a neighborhood dinner and we are already booked for one in Dec.  Its been amazing.  Last year at this time there were just 6 of us and just the original 4 would play in public.  There were 12 of us playing this year and four that couldnt make it.

Wow that sounds great Brenda.

Hey, how about sending the rain down here.  We have maybe rain in the forcast.  Still waiting.

Your group is really coming along.

33 minutes ago, Tampa Doll said:

Wow that sounds great Brenda.

Hey, how about sending the rain down here.  We have maybe rain in the forcast.  Still waiting.

Your group is really coming along.

Wish I could send some rain or at least hold some back for late summer.

Its been an amazing journey.  It started with 3 taking beginner class at the monthly club after they performed here for Christmas.  They wanted to practice together between the monthly classes so Jim signed up for a space.  They started in Jan and I didnt decide to really try until June.  Not that I was that good but by beginning of next year Jim and I were teaching a very basic beginner class at the monthly club. Like I tell them.  You didnt get the best player you just got the one that didnt say no when asked.  Its just I knew why I gave up or at least didnt get serious about it thru the years.  Our group here added a friend of mine in Sept.  We more than doubled by April the next year.  We have had a few people drop.  We have 3 that play hammer dulcimer.  One of those has played with a recorder group.  She brought it and played it with us on a couple of songs and it sounded really cool especially on Yankee Doodle.  The thing that really blows me away is that so many are willing to play when we get a request. At first I thought we were going to be lucky if 6 agreed to play at these things.  There are places here where there is not room for all of us to set up and play.  We were going to start declining if there was not room for all of us but someone volunteered to be small group coordinator.  We will see how that goes.  We will have to be careful because with 21 neighborhood groups, assisted living, the care center, and other groups performing groups get overwhelmed and burned out. We are lucky to have a 95 year old resident that was a luthier and he has been making dulcimers.  5 of us have one he built.  He has made 8 and each one is different.  Mine was the second one he made and I really like it.  He was there Sun so we gave him a shout out to honor him. 20230626_152431.thumb.jpg.e5c567af19b59daa0d8c68c47288be19.jpg

• Like 3

Someone stopped me at lunch today to tell me how much he enjoyed listening to our group Sun.  He has already contacted the resident that has been making dulcimers,  purchased one and should be joining us soon.  

16 minutes ago, greyhoundgrandma said:

What a great group--sounds like so much fun! And amazing that the 95 year old is still making instruments.

He likes doing woodwork and designed the coolest little tractor.  I have seen a violin and guitar that he has made.  I think he has made 8 dulcimers now.  He is an interesting guy.  At one point he lived in AZ and prospected for gold.  His wife said he had a shop in a garage and that we would not believe the big names that brought instruments to him to work on.  Its sort of hard getting stories out of him.  He said he has outlived all his family and has been married to this lady for 12 years.  He tells us he cant play but I have heard that before covid he played regularly here with a couple other people.  We have gotten him to join us a few times with a dulcimer, fiddle, guitar, mandolin.  I have heard he has a hurdy gurdy.  I would love to see that.

Wow Brenda- that must have sounded great with all of your group playing! What a super experience. And your dulcimer is beautiful.

Good Morning everyone.

Thought I would drop in and see what everyone is up to.

It is a beautiful day here.  It is 80 right now looking at 89 for the high.

Pollen count is down, but I do not know why, we have not had any rain.  Still looking. for it.

Have a fun day today.  Hugs all around.

We hit only 68°F again today (YAY!). So weird. We'll be back in the 90's by next week though (BOO).

Not a lot going on here, but I enjoy the quiet. Even my windchime is getting a rest. I do hope everyone is having a quiet day too.

Good morning!

I got the yard mowed yesterday before any expected rain. DS had to again help me with a flat tire. If it rained last night I didn't hear it. Still pretty warm this morning but then a few days of at least slightly cooler weather which is welcomed.

Today is just regular catch up house chores. The older DS is coming tomorrow. We'll go to the local restaurant for an adult lunch and then the DSs are getting together to play with a new toy.

Guess it's time for breakfast and to get the day started. Hope everyone has a good day!

Good morning.

Got up early this morning, guess I got plenty of sleep yesterday.  Was home sick yesterday.  Queasy in the stomach, so decided I better stay home.  DH was sick last night also.

So up early to get ready for my day.

Wanted to drop in and say Hi!  Hope you all have a good day.

I hope you're feeling better today, Mary Jo.

It's another pretty day here. I walked the backyard and the weeds are popping through again. SIL is coming over later to spray them. He makes his own super-duper secret sauce for weeds, all organic too. I'm amazed how quickly the weeds disappear.

Nothing much going on here still so I just popped in to say hello and have a great one.

Going to be busy tomorrow.  We are signed up for a golf clinic in the morning. Golf is not been something I ever had a burning desire to do but I did like hitting balls at the driving range.  We did keep the women's clubs when we moved.The guy promoting this actually almost made it sound fun.  Who am I kidding.  I signed up for the free lunch.  Then it will be time to head out to our Fri afternoon dulcimer group.  Trying to nail down our playlist for Thurs.

Posted (edited)

Good morning!

Just been out at the farm. Getting my list ready of things to get done and projects i want to conquer. My 13 goslings are getting so big. They will leave my bathroom Monday and live at the farm..

I finished a C2C  bigger baby blanket. back working on the v stitch blanket.

Edited by owlvamp
Misspelled

Brenda- Sounds exciting about the golf! I was a complete golf nut thanks to my DH. He was the one that taught me and after my first game, I thought I'd never play again. LOL- Boy was I wrong! Sometimes I'd be out there on the course twice a day. I sure do miss it now.  Have fun and good luck.

Owlvamp- Whoa! 13 Goslings? That's a big handful. I bet they're so cute!

I had some strange news last night. My oldest GD (an adult) was diagnosed with Scarlet Fever and hospitalized. She's doing much better already with tons of antibiotics being hooked up to her. It started as strep throat and morphed into a worse disease, possibly for procrastinating and not going to the doctor sooner. I hadn't heard of anyone getting this disease in my life! I thought this only happened in 3rd world countries and before antibiotics were discovered.

Be careful out there!

The golf clinic was the best thing we have gone to here.  I am not into golf but did like the few times we went to a driving range.  The instructional part with the pro and his college aged kids was very good.  Dh took part in the 9 hole scramble and his group came in first place.  He wound up on the team with the pro and what I would call our resident pro.  For those that didnt go play golf they had putting and chipping contests.  They had giveaways and drawings.  There was coffee and donut holes in the morning and pizza , pop, and beer for lunch.  I wish I really liked golf as the third hole is just out my back door. The clinic almost made it sound enough like fun that maybe I will dig some clubs out and go play the 3 holes behind us.

As we got back from the golf clinic, my sister, niece and baby stopped by for a short visit.  When they left it was out the door for our Fri afternoon dulcimer practice.  When we got home I had lots of different emails to send out in regards to practice, Thurs performance and to our beginners class.  This morning it was off to bonsai. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, bgs said:

Dont know what happened but glad to see its back.

I've been holding my breath every time I've checked today. Also glad it's back up.

Wow! that was scary there for awhile, not getting on the forum. It started for me late last night when I went to look for something. Maybe Donna did an update???

I had a great Mother's Day. Flowers, candy, cards, phone calls and taken out to dinner. Quite a day and I'm so very grateful for a loving family.

We're still having lovely weather here. 84°F today and just a breeze. Now, if it would only stay that way all year. I know- Yea right! LOL

I hope all of you had a grand Mother's Day also!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Hi Gang-

And here we go- it's getting warm here. 89°F right now and low 90's this weekend. That's a bit high here for almost mid-May. 

Not much going on here today. DD just got here so, toodle-oo till next time.

Ps- Forgot to add. Someone once told me they thought the desert was ugly. The Ocotillos are in bloom in the desert right now and so is the one in my front yard and one in the back yard. So pretty.

20240510_151049.thumb.jpg.99a7c6d5ec0d6154fc73aae1bdf51045.jpg

Edited by ReniC
eta
  • Like 2