From the Anne of Green Gables Books

The Shrone

I am currently reading the Anne of Green Gables series of books by Lucy Maud Montgomery, and she mentions crochet often. I've so far read books #1 through #3 and now reading #4 which is Anne of Windy Poplars. Last night as I was reading, I came upon the following about crocheting that I had to share!

Mrs. Cyrpus piped up, feeling it her wifely duty to back up Esme's unexpected defense of her father.

"And he can crochet so beautifully...he made the loveliest centerpiece for the parlor table last winter when he was laid up with lumbago."

Every one has some limit of endurance and Cyrus Taylor had reach his. He gave his chair such a furious backward push that it shot instnatly across the polished floor and struck the table on which the vase stood. The table went over and the vase broke in the traditional thousand pieces. Cyrus, his bushy white eyebrows fairly bristling with wrath, stood up and exploded at last.

"I don't crochet, woman! Is one contemptible doily going to blast a man's reputation forever? I was so bad with that blamed lumbago, I didn't know what I was doing."[/Quote]

I love these old classics and reread them all the time. I always laugh when Diana comments that she couldn't possiblily get married till she had certain number of doilies done. I dont remember the exact number. But I loved her logic.:D

I love Anne of Green Gables, I even visited her house on Prince Edward Island many years ago......I don't remember seeing any crocheted items, I wasn't such an avid crocheter as I am now. Now that you mentioned the books I may re read them myself!!

omg I remember reading every anne book our library had one summer.....we lived a block away, and my mom didn't let me go anywhere else, so I finished everything they had on anne, and of course little house in 2 weeks!! I was reading 3 to 4 books a day!! I need to get back into my reading......I did just finish "skipping christmas" I bought it yesterday...but its such a small book (thats why i HATE buying books, cause I'm not a re-reader....i always remember the ending halfway through and it ruins it for me) Gosh anne was my hero for a while!!

Never read the books, but my girls & I loved the TV series! I will have to read the books now. Don't you just love references to the small things we all have in common in our reading. I just makes them seem more real.

The thing I really want is from the TV series (the one with Megan Follows, not the animated series) is the shawl that Marilla wears. Oh would I love a pattern for that. Not quite brave enough to try and work one out for myself though, lol.

This thread inspired me to reread a couple of the books today (gee, darn ;) ).

I finally found the Diana quote toward the end of Anne of Avonlea:

Diana: "But three years isn't any too much time to get ready for housekeeping, for I haven't a speck of fancy work made yet. But I'm going to begin crocheting doilies tomorrow. Myra Gillis had thirty-six doilies when she was married and I'm determined I shall have as many as she had."

"I suppose it would be perfectly impossible to keep house with only thirty-six doilies," conceded Anne, with a solemn face but dancing eyes.

This thread inspired me to reread a couple of the books today (gee, darn ;) ).

I finally found the Diana quote toward the end of Anne of Avonlea:

Diana: "But three years isn't any too much time to get ready for housekeeping, for I haven't a speck of fancy work made yet. But I'm going to begin crocheting doilies tomorrow. Myra Gillis had thirty-six doilies when she was married and I'm determined I shall have as many as she had."

"I suppose it would be perfectly impossible to keep house with only thirty-six doilies," conceded Anne, with a solemn face but dancing eyes.

Thank you for finding this. I still like her logic and Anne's sense of humor. :heehee Now I can wait and read these when I have a little more time than the present. When the holidays are over they will keep me company on few cold and rainy afternoons. :book

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hmmm, I had forgotten or didn't realize this. I am an avid Anne fan (Fanne!) and need to reread these as well!

Since some of y'all are fans there are a few forums about LMM/AOGG, www.avonlea.org and www.anne3.com Lots of friendly kindred spirits on there.

Archived