Could you please do me a website favor?

RachelG

Hi Rachel, I just went in and clicked on about a dozen of the pdf patterns and everyone of them opened just fine.

I do know that when we had firefox I could not get the pdf files. I changed back because of that. You might enquire which Browser they are using.

I don't get a PDF file. I get a little square with a blue dot on the top and a triangle looking thing below it. Sorry. :blush

That means when you go to one of my pages and click on a pattern name with an * beside it that you get a little suare thing with a blue dot, etc? Hmmm. I wonder what's up!

I'm not having any problems with the PDF files. 'Don't know if it makes a difference--I have a Mac.

Thanks for your report! I don't know if having a Mac makes a difference or not. (I have never used a Mac, so I don't know anything about them.)

Hi Rachel, I just went in and clicked on about a dozen of the pdf patterns and everyone of them opened just fine.

I do know that when we had firefox I could not get the pdf files. I changed back because of that. You might enquire which Browser they are using.

Thank you Kathy! I have Firefox and PDF files work fine for me. :think

I've had several people say they can't see/load any patterns marked with an asterisk (*) (ones that are in PDF format) if they click on them through http://www.crochetpatterncentral.com Could I get a few volunteers to click a few PDF links and tell me if they work or not? Thank you!!!

Hi Rachel, I just went to crochetpatterncentral.com and downloaded 6 different patterns. The ones you suggested and they all worked for me. The last one I did stayed blank for awhile and was just about to give up and the pattern came on. But the others came right on with no trouble. I went under new patterns if that is any help.:)

Marlene

I've never had any problems. Just checked 8 patterns though. Still no problem.

I have Windows XP and use IE.

Thank you...I'm certainly glad I'm not the only one that can see them fine! :whewI just don't know what to tell the people who write in saying they can't.

Hi Rachel, I just went to crochetpatterncentral.com and downloaded 6 different patterns. The ones you suggested and they all worked for me. The last one I did stayed blank for awhile and was just about to give up and the pattern came on. But the others came right on with no trouble. I went under new patterns if that is any help.:)

Marlene

Thanks Marlene!

Rachel, sometimes I have problems opening pdf files in general and have to reboot my system and then I can open them up again. I don't know why, but you might try telling them to reboot and see if that helps. Also, do the have the most current reader available?

Firefox (at least the older version) did have a problem with PDFs, but they also have a fix that you can download, which solves the problem. It's some kind of a plugin/extension for Adobe Exchange, the thingummy that makes it possible to open up the PDFs right in the browser window.

At least I'm not the only one struggling with PDFs tonight. I've never been a fan of them, but I've always at least been able to open them even if it does take an annoying amount of time. Now it's taking even longer, but I'm still able to reach them through CPC. However, when I try to go to the same exact page through Stargazer's World (http://home.inreach.com/marthac) I get the HTTP 404 file not found page. It's the same freepatterns.com page so I don't know why it works when I go through one site and not the other, but something is definitely a bit off tonight.

PDF's have never opened for me in Firefox. I'v always done a right click and 'save link as' and then I can open them normally from my computer.

Thank you sewmom, Dot, Julie, Vims, swapnae, Sue89, and vigilant20!

The lady that wrote me mentioned she had Adobe 7.0. She did not mention what browser.

A while back, freepatterns.com changed their links (just a tad) so I changed mine to make them work...not sure if Martha (aka Stargazer) did.

I run the latest version of Firefox, too, Julie.

I really appreciate all of you helping! I can tell from this little informal "poll" that it works most of the time, but a few individuals may have some trouble on their own computers. At least it's not something wrong with my site. :)

I have Firefox at home and IE at work and they work fine for me.

One thing I might say is that Adobe has been issuing a lot of updates lately. It may be that for those who the link isn't working for might need to update their version of Acrobat Reader. I don't know for sure that it would help, but it might be worth a try.

And I also just want to say "Crochet Pattern Central" is my all time favorite site!!! This is one of the first pattern sites I came across after I learned to crochet and about 75% of the patterns I use come from the links on your site Rachel. Thank you for doing such a wonderful job for those of us who are hopeless in trying to track down patterns on our own!!! :hug

And I also just want to say "Crochet Pattern Central" is my all time favorite site!!! This is one of the first pattern sites I came across after I learned to crochet and about 75% of the patterns I use come from the links on your site Rachel. Thank you for doing such a wonderful job for those of us who are hopeless in trying to track down patterns on our own!!! :hug

Thanks, Ginny! I've learned some "tracking" methods that come in handy and besides, it's fun!

I don't know anything about Firefox or whatever, could it be Adobe Acrobat Reader? That is what opened up when I clicked on it, and it opened just fine, but I have the most current update of Adobe. If they download a free copy of Adobe, I don't think they should have any problems.

Hi Rachel, I was having some problems yesterday afternoon with the PDFs opening on my computer; every time it would start opening one up, Internet Explorer would freeze. (But I thought that was more of an issue with my computer being dingbatty than the website itself?) After a couple hours and restarting my computer, the PDFs worked fine again when I tried to open them.

Archived