35 Granny Squares Afghan

JulieKay

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Gang -

Where'd you all go today ? Doggone, these boards have been quiet ! No action here or in the 63 . I have been plugging away at my 35 . I have photos taken and will post them tonite. I only have 7 squares to go then I am ready to hook it together !!!:hook

Fickle me when out and got new colors for this 'ghan! :P Originally I bought RH in Aran and Frosty Green which are nice but I only picked green 'cuz there wasn't a tan color I liked. I made a trip to JoAnn's yesterday and spotted Caron SS in off-white and bone. Those are the colors I wanted in the first place! :) I'll have to save the green for another project which won't be a problem!

I look forward to starting this CAL soon. I've got to get the 63 squares together first! ;)

I dont know if im in this crochet along or not :think

But I am doing no 19 first, Reading the instructions dont make sense to me,:eek

so I looked at the picture on the back cover very close and you can almost

see how it was done!! SO GUESS IT WONT BE PERFECT BUT IT WILL LOOK ALOT LIKE IT!!! :yay :yay

Is that cheating?

That's it, I'm starting RIGHT NOW. Looking at your squares Julie Kay really just did me in. What color are you joining them with. I can't wait to see the finished product. I have a ton of yarn around here, so let me se what I can make happen. I'll just have to really focus on finding a good joining color.

Necia

Hi Evelyn, Here is what I told Julie about square 19:

Hi Julie, Forget 19 the way they said to do it. It's stupid. This is what you do, crochet #1. Now do a sl st and a ch 4 around the stitch junctions between round 1 and round 2. You'll have (sl st, ch 4) around. You should wind up with 8 chains. Do the same thing between the stitch junctions of round 3 and 4. You'll wind up with 24 chs. But I sometimes get 22, or 23. It doesn't matter, as the look is exactly the same but much easier.

I have 2 more squares left and will post the last of my photos tomorrow.

I am going to do a black granny type border around each square to pop the colors.

PaganBaby69

I finished square 19 to me it looks like the picture on the back of the book,the black and white picture inside doesnt do justice to the square,I done mine red Im going to be using the yarn I have on hand so no telling what colors will be in it,:)

I will try to post a picture later

Sue

That's not being fickle at all ! Sometimes when you see a certain afghan pattern, the colors you want just pop into your head. You KNOW those are the colors you want before you even get to the store . I think the colors you chose will be pretty ! And thanks for the compliments on my squares .

Evelyn ,

Well, you are IN if you want to be ! We'd love to have you join us. I know what you mean about 19 -- it gave me fits . Pagan described an easier way to do it a few posts back, but if you're satisfied with how it turned out, I'd leave it alone !

and Evelyn and Necia --

Any colors you use will be fine .. this is such a pretty pattern I think it'd look good in almost any colors ! Glad you jumped in ,Necia-- I could tell it was driving you batty waiting to join us !

I am using the variegated, I think it's called Holly and Ivy to join my squares . The one with the reds, greens and off white in it .

This is a pretty fast-moving afghan . Doesn't take too long to get the squares made . 19 has been the only one to give me much trouble so far .

Pagan , Thanks for stepping back in to help Evelyn with the dreaded 19 ! You are doing a great job leading the group !

I made it up to Square 3 which is my favorite thus far. However it came out HUGE. The measurements is a 1/2" bigger than the required gauge. I'm going to try it again tonight, as there is a BIG chance that I got so caught up I repeated a round. I'm so loving how fast the squares are working up. My afghan is going to be Rainbow Brite for sure! I can't wait.

Necia

Hi Evelyn

Yea, a couple of mine turned out a little smaller or larger than the others, but after doing the 63, this one doesn't seem nearly as bad. The squares aren't off by too much at least !

Necia-

I'm sure yours will turn our just fine, and yes the squares do go quickly. I just finished my last one. Now to put this thing together !

I got my pattern in the mail!!! I was shocked that it was spanking brand new! Since this booklet is OOP I was expecting a worn copy. Anyway, I'm very pleased with the lady at Country Yarns and I'm quite certain I'll be ordering from her again in the future.

I cannot wait to start on this project! I'm afraid I won't be able to til after Christmas though. I just have too many other things that need to be done by then...

I have decided to used Caron WW in the one pounders for this project and am thinking of a light pink and dark pink for the squares and either a white or some other contrasting color to attach... What do you guys think?

Your squares are looking fantastic. I started last night and I have 2 done so far. Mine are being done in 2 colors ...well 3 , orchid , lavander with white borders, since its for my daughter and those are her favortie colors...she has no idea its for her. She turns 27 the 19th of next month. I hope she likes it!

Hey Gang -

My photos are now available here - :photo

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/jlabo1/my_photos

Just click on the 35 Granny and each photo is clickable to see it bigger .

I got my pattern in the mail!!! I was shocked that it was spanking brand new! Since this booklet is OOP I was expecting a worn copy. Anyway, I'm very pleased with the lady at Country Yarns and I'm quite certain I'll be ordering from her again in the future.

I cannot wait to start on this project! I'm afraid I won't be able to til after Christmas though. I just have too many other things that need to be done by then...

I have decided to used Caron WW in the one pounders for this project and am thinking of a light pink and dark pink for the squares and either a white or some other contrasting color to attach... What do you guys think?

Those colors sound fabulous.

Necia

Hi Donna -

I'm so glad you are happy with the Country Yarns place. I have always had great success with her -- she is a real sweetie pie too. She is always right on time and very efficient with her orders .

Your colors sound very pretty. I think I'd go with white for the 3rd color. Just my opinion !

Olga

Your colors also sound so pretty ! Believe it or not, I don't think I've ever used any color of purple in any of my projects. Maybe I should do that for one of my next ones. Can't wait to see your squares. I bet your daughter will love it .

:rememberTo all those fellow crocheters who are working on this afghan :

If you need some Valium or Mad Dog, please email me with your home address so I can get it to you before you get to number 19 .

:loco

OMG! I'm cracking up reading these posts. I'm laughing, but it's that nervous type laugh because I'm also SCARED!:scared

Mad Dog! Holy cow! I haven't seen that stuff since High School!:sofunny :sofunny :sofunny :sofunny :sofunny

I dont know if im in this crochet along or not :think?

I think this is a pretty informal CAL and if your posting and making the 'ghan, you are IN! :hook

You gonna post pics? We wanna see :woo

Archived