35 Granny Squares Afghan

JulieKay

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

She saw the squares lined up on my bed today and she said..." ohh mom...that looks beautiful and you know those are my favorite colors" and to think you wanna sell it.!!lol...if she only knew.

When she turned 15 , those were the exact same colors she chose for allthe decor for her party. Here in Puerto Rico we celebrate the daughters 15 instead of the sweet 16 thing.The same but only 15.She has always loved those colors so I am very sure she is going to love it...I will let you know . I already have the plastic storage bag it's going into..:lol . I can't wait to finish it and I hopeeeee I can hold on till her birthday...:eek It's December 19.:xfin

Holey moley Olga -

If you can wait that long to give it to her, you have more patience than I do !

Yes, I thought I heard somewhere about the big festival-type party you guys have when your girls turn 15 ( is it for boys too or just girls ?)

I think I saw it on a TV show .Is it where the girl wears a long prom-type dress and you have like a festival of food and a band and dancing and all that ?

I hope this doesn't bother you when I ask these questions. I just think it is so fascinating to learn about other places and how they do things .

( Remember, I live in HICKSVILLE, USA )

Home of the Comb-Overs, Bib overalls, flannel shirts and John Deere Tractors .

If you have any tractor questions, I'll try to answer them for you ! :lol

lol,lol...You are so funny....Yes you are right about everything...It's only the girls .Thank God I only have 1 girl ! lol... I think I can wait cause I do have lots of patience.It doesnt bother me one bit you ask me whatever you want.,,,Sorry...no questions on tractors..lol...

So then Olga -

You have one granddaughter don't you ? And how old is she ? You will have the festival for her when she turns 15 too ? That would be fun , like planning a big party with all the foods, colors, decorations .

We really don't do anything that big here when our girls turn 16 . Maybe just a plain old birthday party with cake and ice cream .

What is the festival called, it seems like it had a special name on the show .

I keep telling myself I CANNOT start this afghan until after Christmas...I have sooo much to do. BUT, I bought yarn today and am dying to just do one square...hmmm...:devil It sounds so much more fun than all the work waiting for me to do today.

I bought Caron Simply Soft in three colors -- country blue in light, plain country blue, and the dark country blue. At first I was going to do the squares in medium and light and put a dark blue round on the last round and then sew them together with the dark. But looking at this yarn lying around has me considering doing the squares in three colors. :shrug Sigh...have to make up my mind! The dark country blue looks so pretty...

OOPs ..:lol yeah ...my grandaughter is 5 ...Its called "quinceañero" meaning fifteen...or maybe "sweet 15" . They are fun. I had a sweet 16 cause I was in the states.(lackawanna ny) ( 15 is quince the party is called quinceañero)

:mdust Start it:mdust start it :spinstart the afghans :mduststart it :spin:devil

I keep telling myself I CANNOT start this afghan until after Christmas...I have sooo much to do. BUT, I bought yarn today and am dying to just do one square...hmmm...:devil It sounds so much more fun than all the work waiting for me to do today.

I bought Caron Simply Soft in three colors -- country blue in light, plain country blue, and the dark country blue. At first I was going to do the squares in medium and light and put a dark blue round on the last round and then sew them together with the dark. But looking at this yarn lying around has me considering doing the squares in three colors. :shrug Sigh...have to make up my mind! The dark country blue looks so pretty...

Is anyone else using Caron simply soft for this 'ghan? I made the first square with the recommended H hook but the square came out too small. I did it over with an I hook and it's still a little too small but I don't want to go any bigger with the hook or the square will be too 'loose' looking. :think

~Sue

As I am going to do mine in Simply Soft, I appreciate your warning. I am curious as to what you decided to do!? The gauge is not horribly important as long as you are consistent. It does not have to fit anyone at least! How "too little" is it? I have not tried the gauge yet, but I will probably stay with at least the (5.5 mm) I hook. If the ghan is too little for my liking, I guess I could always put on a wider trim. (I always put mm on hook sizes because they are all so inconsistent.)

Olga -

You ornery little thing ,you !

:mdust Start it:mdust start it :spinstart the afghans :mduststart it :spin:devil

Linda -

It sounds to me like you are fighting a losing battle. If you have already bought the yarn and want to make "just one square " , that's like eating "just one potato chip ! "

I thought the afghan turned out a little small myself, more like a lapghan or throw than a full sized afghan.

One idea would be to make it a little larger by making it 6 x 7 squares, or 7 x 8 ... and using several of the plain number 1's as fill in squares , unless you'd rather do 2 of some of the squares .

Sue will probably be on here to comment about her square sizes to tell you what she decided to do .

Here is a photo I lifted off the internet of the scripture ghan everyone is talking about. (I know I wanted to know what it looks like!) However, there are no books available at all. I think we better consider the Stitch a week ghan next.

scriptureafghan.jpg

As I am going to do mine in Simply Soft, I appreciate your warning. I am curious as to what you decided to do!? The gauge is not horribly important as long as you are consistent. It does not have to fit anyone at least! How "too little" is it? I have not tried the gauge yet, but I will probably stay with at least the (5.5 mm) I hook. If the ghan is too little for my liking, I guess I could always put on a wider trim. (I always put mm on hook sizes because they are all so inconsistent.)

Hey, Linda - I did go up to an I hook. Each square is supposed to be 8" and perhaps different yarn will make it so but Caron ss isn't coming out that way. Using the I hook, my squares, all 2 of them, are coming out to around 7" and I can live with that. A lapghan is acceptable. I will be giving this away and can call it a lapghan instead of an afghan. :) If you want to, putting on a 7th row looks like it would work well. Good luck!

I was kinda checking that out and it does seem kind of small....I was thinking of making it bigger by making 2 of the same squares or make it out to be a "63 with the "35"...lol ,,,,or filling in with the # 1 or a simple one. I'll see what I decided to do.

Morning all! :mug Well, this has been a very busy thread while I've been getting my 63 squares stitched together. However, I have made 3 granny squares cuz you guys are just too much fun and I need something to do in the car...while waiting. :)

I really love the caron ss after making so many 'ghans in RH. The caron is nice and well, soft! Since it's a bit slippery, I have to be very careful with the tension but everything is looking good. I'll try and get some pics up today.:photo

Olga, your daughter is very lucky! Your colors are lovely and your squares look beautiful. :tup

Necia, I wish I could be as creative as you. I tend to get nervous without a plan! I can't wait to see pics, you 'ghan will look totally beautiful, I'm sure.:)

Linda, go on...make a square...you know you want to! :devil hehe Blue will be so pretty, how can you wait?!

Have a wonderful day everyone! :waving

Oh and Julie...I do have a tractor question....does RH make a yarn in that bright green color? :lol JK!

I can't wait to see your Monet 'ghan. The Dude is so creative, isn't he? :)

Yes, Sue

I'm glad you asked me a tractor question . I want to show a little knowledge of this little part of my world .

It is called Paddy Green ( AKA John Deere Green )

Very popular with those farmers that want to be " in the loop" and fashionable while performing their duties .

The only problem being, that some of the farm wives have gotten carried away, and crocheted entire JUMPSUITS in this Paddy Green Color .

It has caused more than one major traffic collision .

Picture this:

A little old lady (like me ) , is driving to the store early in the morning. She drives past a farmhouse ,and on past the farmfield . She glances over quickly and sees a John Deere tractor APPARENTLY UNDER IT'S OWN POWER --- NO DRIVER !!!!!!

She panics, crashes into a ditch ,and has to call our tow truck driver Harold ( Who is the cutest thing to ever tow a car ) .

In other words:

Too Much Paddy Green , the Farmer Can't Be Seen .

:tree :leaf :greenflag:check:turtle:frog :clover :hbulb

**** Boy, I am just FULL OF BULL today ,aint I ?

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

:laughroll Oh my goodness! Paddy green! I guess there's a whole culture going on with tractors that I'm completely unaware of! Thanks for enlightening me, Julie! :lol

Got my pics up at photobucket! :clap All 3 of them! :lol

Taking the family to see H.Potter today. Really wish I could see in the dark...

Archived