35 Granny Squares Afghan

JulieKay

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Olga, your squares look terrific! :tup

Holy Crow, Julie!! You're done already!! :eek Do you drive as fast as you crochet?! If you do, then look out everybody!! :lol Your 'ghan looks beautiful. I like how the edge ties in all the colors. Nice job!

I officially started this CAL yesterday! I made the first square! :clap

I dont know if this was posted before but I had a little problem trying to get it done and i think i deleted it so here it is again.

This is part of my 35sq ....I finally got it on its way and I'm 5 squares in. Here are a couple of what i have done. I am doing it in lavander and orchid with white edgings. They are my daughters favorite colors and it is for her 27th birthday next month. She has no idea!

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b251/irikel3/scan0002.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b251/irikel3/scan0004.jpg

:cheer :cheer :cheer :cheer :cheer :cheer :cheer

I LOVE the way the orchid color makes a very subtle color change. That is so beautiful!

Photos are here -- click on them to see them bigger . The final afghan ones turned out kind of dark ,but you'll get the general idea !

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/jlabo1/album?.dir=6d61

Not real wild about the colors , but it's ok . Number 19 was the only one that gave me fits-- the others weren't bad at all !

Yay! Julie! Hooray! It's so pretty!

So, start to finish, how long/how many hours would you say it took you?

:manyheart Mare

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v358/scrapyarn/P1270110191535Squares.jpg

A picture of #19 and #15

If it works

I am using scraps and hope to have 35 different colors

Juliekay your afghan is very pretty Hope mine turns out as pretty

Wow, Evelyn... your square are so pretty and so nicely done! Way to go!:cheer

HI HO LADIES

Good morning to you all -

It is SO nice to see an active message board each day ! Take plenty of time to crochet ,but also stop in here and post as often as possible-- that's what keeps this group interesting !

Thanks for the compliments, Necia . I wasn't too wild about the color choices, but as I said , I bought the yarn in the only craft store in our town...... the ONE SKEIN WONDER ... ( Just joking ,but that's what it SHOULD be called .) They have about 7 skeins of yarn total . NONE of the colors match . BUT , I had a splitting headache that day and didn't feel like driving anyplace else, so that is what I ended up with . If anyone needs a cow manure brown, or a baby-gag yellow, that is the 2 colors they have left at this point . Let me know if you want me to run down and pick them up for you ! :shop

:lol:D:lol:D:lol

Wow! You all all so far in and I haven't even started yet! Julie, you afghan looks beautiful. Olga, Evelyn and Irikel your colors are fabulous! Hope mine looks that good. I am thinking about a scrap afghan but haven't decided yet. Have to finish my grandson's afghan first and have 10 more 12" X 12" squares to do then put it together.:eek

Lynn

Sue-

You are HILARIOUS !!! If I drove as fast as I crochet, I'd have to get a faster car than mine-- I have an old-lady car . Top speed is probably 50 . I guess I could get me a helmet and a can of spray paint and paint me some racing stripes on my car... then I'd THINK I was a race car driver !

You'll be surprised at how fast this afghan goes after finishing up the 63 --- it was a whiz .

Congrats on the 1st square done ! You'll be crossing the finish line too before you know it !

Hi Mare -

Well, let's see... that's a good question as far as how many hours it took me. I don't keep very good track of them really. I will try to figure it up as close as I can .

I bought the yarn last Saturday and started it on the weekend . I babysit my 3 yr old grandson Mon-Thurs , so I get very little time to crochet , in between playing matchbox cars, dinosaurs, watching Teletubbies til I think the only words I can say are UH OH and TUBBY TOAST ....

Watching PooBahs --- they are the ULTIMATE TEST to see if your sanity is intact ....

Singing along with Barney til I'd like to kick the TV over like Chuck Norris would......

Anyhow, once he goes home and supper is done, my time is mine. My husband is extremely low maintenance . If I put his food out once a day, he can manage on his own pretty well the rest of the time . SO .... I have evenings and weekends to work on my stuff . I'm figuring maybe 2 hours a night during weeknights and then I have Fri, Sat, Sun off to do whatever I want .....

This is getting confusing . UHOH TINKY WINKY ...

I probably cranked out a couple squares an hour , put it together and edged it last night .

That's about as close a guess as I can give you ! :hook

HI HO LADIES

Good morning to you all -

It is SO nice to see an active message board each day ! Take plenty of time to crochet ,but also stop in here and post as often as possible-- that's what keeps this group interesting !

Thanks for the compliments, Necia . I wasn't too wild about the color choices, but as I said , I bought the yarn in the only craft store in our town...... the ONE SKEIN WONDER ... ( Just joking ,but that's what it SHOULD be called .) They have about 7 skeins of yarn total . NONE of the colors match . BUT , I had a splitting headache that day and didn't feel like driving anyplace else, so that is what I ended up with . If anyone needs a cow manure brown, or a baby-gag yellow, that is the 2 colors they have left at this point . Let me know if you want me to run down and pick them up for you ! :shop

:lol:D:lol:D:lol

:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

First of all... SOME of us have to, uh (scuse the dirty word) WORK during the day so we have to wait and make our one or two measly squares in the evening! That is, if we have all out myriad other projects finished so we can actually be working on THIS project... :devil

Second... the baby gag yellow sounds like just the think I need! :eek That's a bummer to have such a few choices. I went to Michael's yesterday at lunch and they had about a billion different kinds of fun fur and novelty yarnds but their selection of Caron SS was dismal, and the Red Heart colors were so, uh, bright!!! that I can relate with your dilema. I'm trying to decide what colors I want to use. I'm sure I'll use some form of green but the green I wanted wasn't there. Nor was the pumpkin or the spice colors I wanted.

Must continue the hunt!

Wow! You all all so far in and I haven't even started yet! Julie, you afghan looks beautiful. Olga, Evelyn and Irikel your colors are fabulous! Hope mine looks that good. I am thinking about a scrap afghan but haven't decided yet. Have to finish my grandson's afghan first and have 10 more 12" X 12" squares to do then put it together.:eek

Lynn

Don't worry Lynn... I haven't started yet, either! I just yap a lot! :blah :blah :blah :blah :blah:compute :compute :compute:blah :blah :blah

Hi Mare -

That's about as close a guess as I can give you ! :hook

Well, Dear! That's a good deal of info and I have a greater sympathy for you time! Here, I was thinking you were just loafing around on your laurels all day stitching away to your hearts content! :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Thanks! :hug

Mare---

You're making me feel guilty now . I USED to work ,back when I rode a dinosaur to work . (Now HE was fast ,Sue ! )

I know, I'm lucky I don't have to work . I don't have to babysit either , I just do it because he is my best pal in the world and my only grandchild in the state . ( He lives one block away ) Next year, he'll be in preschool half the week, so I'll have even more time to crochet !

I just like to lip off about these doggone kid's shows on TV .I'm about 4 decades too old for them and they drive me TOTALLY insane .

I have all the respect in the world for you ladies that work . We are all lucky we can make that decision .Sometimes I miss working. I used to say I'd go back when the kids grew up ... well, they are grown and have been gone for 4 years now, and I havent given in yet. I miss my dinosaur for one thing .....

Julie, your 'ghan looks great! Let me know how things go with the Scripture 'ghan-- I have a bid on it over at ebay, but I tend to be outbid in the last second on most things I want! I think I'm going to work on that one over Christmas, so I can give it to my grandmother for her January birthday, CAL or no! :manyheart

Sue, welcome to the party! This 'ghan goes ten bazillion times faster!:hug

Don't feel bad, Lynn, I'm just getting started and have other projects that need doing as well. For now, I'll only work on this 'ghan while waiting in the car for my daughter to get out of school. My other projects are now too big for the car! :eek

Julie, I can relate to the kids shows! Can you say, BIG HUG? Luckily, my kids were too old for Teletubbies but were just the right age for Barney and Power Rangers! Ack! I'm so glad they're into Green Day and Gorillaz now! :)

Is anyone else using Caron simply soft for this 'ghan? I made the first square with the recommended H hook but the square came out too small. I did it over with an I hook and it's still a little too small but I don't want to go any bigger with the hook or the square will be too 'loose' looking. :think

Good morning to all my crochet pals !

Hope you are all waking up to a good day today ! It is FREEZING here , and a few flakes floating around, but that's normal for OUR town !:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Hi Linda !

Glad to see you join us ! What colors did you say you were using again ? I'm sorry if I ask people that more than ance, but I forget sometimes who is doing what colors !

Hey Pagan - I 've been wondering if you got your edging all on yet and are getting the squares put together ? Your afghan is going to be a showpiece when it is done, with all those colors and the black edging ! It'll be a lot prettier than mine was. I'm still not sold on my colors, but oh, well, it's already done . They matched my mom's living room colors so I gave it to her and she liked it .

I am now starting on Crochet Dude's Monet pattern that he has listed in his free pattern section . I am doing it in the Red Heart variegated called Ocean . I thought I'd do something with it, so that looked like a nice project !

Everyone have a great day !:manyheart

Good Morning, Julie!:coffee

:hot It's in the 70's here with a promise of high 80's later today. We are in what is referred to as a "Santa Ana" condition. :fan Warm to Hot winds that are very dry. :fire High fire danger, etc. Not typical for November weather. :snow I'd love to see a few flakes floating around that weren't just flamboyant hair dressers LOL:lol

:hook I've been working on the face cloths for my neices which has been giving me good practice for doing the squares. I'm using granny patterns from my 200 blocks book. I can hardly wait to start this afghan!:coo

:devil PaganBaby! I'm dying to see more blocks! Comeon! give us a show!

Glad to see the rest of you plugging away. Can hardly wait to see what you have done so far.:D

:wreath Those of you on hold till after the Holidays... I'm with you!

Mare:yay

Hi everyone,

I'm four squares in. I was gonna do #5, but changed my mind cause I was tired last night. This weekend I'll be sure to get more done. I can't wait to see what mine will look like, because I'm doing NO planning whatsoever. Whatever my hand touches is what I will use.

Necia

Mare-

:lol:D:lol

We don't have flamboyant hairdressers in our town .... the flakes I meant would be more along the lines of hmmmmm....... how to say this politely ?

1- They carry on conversations when no one else is within a mile radius .

2-No one else WANTS to be in a mile radius of them .

3- We are a little AFRAID of them ...

The FANCIEST hairdos in our town are probably those couple of men who are totally bald on top, but let the "ring of hair " on top of their ears grow REALLY long ........ Then they either comb it all over from one ear to the other, or worse yet, from back to front , then grease it down with some Valvoline Motor Oil and cut them some BANGS in the front .

What is one of the most entertaining things in our town is to go out on a windy day and "HUNT" for one of these guys !!!!

They look SO FUNNY , totally bald on top with this long FLAG of hair flying to the side !!!

( Hope I'm not offending anyone on here that may be married to one of these guys . I'm sure they are nice people-- their HAIR is just entertaining )

:lol:D :D :D :D :D :D :lol

WHAT DOES THIS HAVE TO DO WITH CROCHET, YOU SAY ??????

Absolutely nothing . Just like to keep some action going in here !!!

Necia

You oughta have an interesting afghan doing it that way . I read someplace online ( don't remember where ) that a lady had a whole trash bag filled with yarn scraps. She rolled them all into balls, then threw them in the bag til it was full. Then, she decided to start a scrap afghan with them, with no design for the colors. She would just reach in , pull out a ball, and add it on to the last color . It made a really pretty blanket when she was done !

Yours will be just as pretty, you'll see !:manyheart

Hi everyone,

I'm four squares in. I was gonna do #5, but changed my mind cause I was tired last night. This weekend I'll be sure to get more done. I can't wait to see what mine will look like, because I'm doing NO planning whatsoever. Whatever my hand touches is what I will use.

Necia

:cheer :cheer :cheer :cheer :cheer :cheer :cheer :cheer :cheer

Yay, Necia! You go, girl!

I am so jealous! :hook

Hi...happy to see everyone doing the squares ..I just popped another one and this one is my favorite till now....I like this one .http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b251/irikel3/scan0008.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b251/irikel3/scan0007.jpg

The colors are not really showing up as they should... They all look the same and there is one darker than the other.

OOOOHHHH Olga -

Those purples you chose are so pretty ! I cannot believe that I have never made anything in purple before, now you're making me want to run to the store QUICK and get some purples .

What colors are they actually called and is it red heart or another brand ?

VERY PRETTY SQUARES !

Archived