My daughter's mermaid costume

benee16

She was a terrible model, and what a challenge to have her wear it without pulling up the skirt. Mind you, she wanted the costume and wants to wear it every day. Whether anyone will know its a mermaid costume, who knows. Its too cold here now to just wear the outfit alone and since she's only 2, she's not very cooperative about the tail, so now its almost hidden. My mom said to just hang a "I'm a mermaid" sign around her neck, LOL

Denise

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b12/benee16/IMG_0100.jpg

That is lovely- no wonder she wants to wear it everyday :) My two year old boy loves to dress up- he spent most of one day last week with one of his sister's fairy dresses on over his clothes:D

That's really cute! :) If you're worried people won't get that she's a mermaid, maybe you could incorporate seashells into the costume. Perhaps glued to a headband or strung on a necklace or bracelet? If there was time you could also make her a "seaweed" shawl for the chill.

That's so cute! My daughter would be begging me to make her one if I showed this to her. And that color is perfect.

The outfit started as a skirt and top set, but I actually used the tie around the waist and connected the skirt and shirt together. I made up my own pattern since I had no idea what I was going to do. The tail is a shiny blue netting that I folded into a skirt originally, but it didn't work out with her walking in it, so I cut it and sewed the netting skirt to the back of the outfit underneath the solid skirt so it sticks out like a tail. I used trellis yarn around the edges to give it a fancy and slightly sparkly look. She was the hit of her party. She carried around Sebastian the crab from the little mermaid, and everybody guessed what she was. She was a big showoff too.

Denise

Archived