Boxing Day 2017 (any charity work!)

babypoohsmom

Denise lol I am a very prolific hooker apparently. I was listing my completed projects in my signature at the start of the year, but by May I'd run out of room in the allowed space so I just deleted it all. I do keep a written record of my projects though and I do plan on counting them up on December 31st, just to see what I did this year. The vast majority of my projects don't actually stay in my home, so I can't just pile it all up to see the end result of my efforts (althought that sounds kind of fun to do :lol)

I had a chat with my triplet Momma today about getting ready for next year's donation stockpile for the local NICU where her trio made their arrival. She's having trouble tracking down the specific requirements for this hospital for next year, but as soon as she gets them, she'll copy me on it so that I can follow their guidelines with the items I make.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm getting my doll donation ready to drop off on Thursday.  It sadly is not the biggest donation I've ever made.  There were babies to crochet for and my big brother's wedding and just lots of other stuff that just kept coming up that seemed to need to get done.  However, thanks to Tampa Doll and my Mom the donation is larger than it other would have been.

From Tampa Doll:

IMG_3007.thumb.JPG.a6beb3ae59efeeb439f439430f622aba.JPG

From my Mom

IMG_3020.thumb.JPG.d0382df4ef9a993e27d3cae2c148cb5e.JPGIMG_3022.thumb.JPG.0459a459996c8f44ebc41ef9bc4a196e.JPGIMG_3024.thumb.JPG.c02de191dbc79613ef5102f5f11be3c9.JPG

Along with Tampa Doll's 8" doll there will be 2 Springfield Dolls.  This year I made two new types of doll carriers and experimented with new diaper bags and accessories for the 15" baby dolls.  I'm still working on some projects what isn't finished by Thursday will be put towards next year. 

I am not normally on this thread, but I have a question that you all may be able to help me with.

Has anyone heard from babyoohsmom?  Is she on vacation or having trouble with her computer or anything?  I noticed that shew has not been on since 12:44AM on Sunday. 

Thank you for your help.

We dropped off the donations this morning and the students and the woman that runs the program were thrilled.  I got to meet the teacher taking over from the woman who is retiring after 30 years of teaching.  It just feels good to see people excited about the stuff we make.

Someone mentioned the doll carriers if anyone is interested the pattern is free and available here.  I used regular worsted weight not cotton on mine and I found they came out fine.

Oddly the diaper bags fascinated the kids and adults more than the carriers.  They were very attracted to the accessories in the doll diaper bags.

Hi all...I have been in a no internet zone for the best part of this week. What a pain. I can't do much on my phone, so I haven't been able to get to the Ville or send anything but super short emails. It's odd how much we miss our on line friends when we can't get to them!  Of course I should be balancing my checkbook, but that can wait until tomorrow!!

Bailey, I know you have posted some of your doll pictures, but a lot of those I don't remember seeing. Lots and lots of cuteness after days upon days of no internet. Is the new teacher going to continue the project? Maybe I could take a shot at something small next year. I'm trying to work out of my comfort zone. I like the cradle purses. I had one as a child. 

Finally, Tampa Doll was asking about me because she sent me a Chrochetville Tote and due to twin calamities regarding our mailbox key and our internet, I have just now been able to acknowledge the tote that was delivered as far as I can tell, about a week ago!! I never knew what a "bag lady" meant in people's signature. Now I know and here is a picture of the amazing gift that arrived.. 

image.jpeg

Also, I participate in two craft shows every year. Mostly to raise a little cash to buy more yarn and fleece for my animal and people shelter projects. I made a few red/white Santa looking hats that I took to the show. While chatting with another vendor, I told her that I made hats for donations every year. She said that her daughter and a friend were doing a service project and decided to make hats and scarves on looms but apparently didn't understand how time consuming that is...so I will be delivering about 50 hats to her daughter next week to use for her high school service project. Part of what she learned is that just because a tutorial on you tube shows a completed hat in 12 minutes, that doesn't mean she can made them in 12 minutes! Sometimes failures are the lessons we remember the most. I will hold a few back to keep in my car. Seems like every year I come upon a person that could use a warm hat and I don't have one in my car.

So with all of that said, although we are a small group, we are mighty! Should I plan to start a new thread for 2018? 

On 12/5/2017 at 9:22 PM, Bailey4 said:

Along with Tampa Doll's 8" doll there will be 2 Springfield Dolls.  This year I made two new types of doll carriers and experimented with new diaper bags and accessories for the 15" baby dolls.  I'm still working on some projects what isn't finished by Thursday will be put towards next year. 

It literally broke my heart that I had nothing to donate this year.  I was praying for your success at any rate. :heart

30 minutes ago, babypoohsmom said:

So with all of that said, although we are a small group, we are mighty! Should I plan to start a new thread for 2018? 

I would like to at least follow along next year.  I have given myself until January to see if I get my hand back... if I don't then I will be donating all of my yarn and most of my dolls to a local church.  I could sure use some prayer on this one please.

as I said I will follow along to see what is done next year... :cheer:cheer:cheer

Darski you have given so much and we were talking about your amazing gifts during drop off. I will continue to pray for your recovery.

I would like a new thread. As soon as I can get a pic I've finished my first baby doll donation for next year. This year was a bad year for documenting stuff I'm hoping to do better this coming year as it helps me stay motivated and organized.

It's a toy drive so anything toy related.  One year during the Crochetville Olympics I did a toy food challenge and then donated that.  The principal of the school had the secretaries vastly amused as he played with putting the hamburger together for several minutes my husband told me as I didn't drop the toys off that year.

Small blankets that can be used for dolls or stuffed animals would be great too. I had ambitions of making more doll clothes and getting an extra doll that I never did so I had an extra doll blanket, they are going to add it to another donation that doesn't have one.

Another non-doll item that would really help is doll diaper bags. There is nothing special about these bags they are just crocheted bags with a pocket in front for the wipes.  I made them a little larger this year thinking perhaps they could store all the doll stuff in the bag and reduce the square footage living space for the doll as I know for some of these families space is an issue.  However, the bags just need to be large enough to hold a doll changing pad, a pocket for the wipes, baby bottle, diaper (s), baby food,baby bib all doll size.  The pattern I use has no closure it is really looks like a small project bag.  Pattern isn't an issue just the pocket and that it will fit the items without being too big for a child to carry.

As much as I was thrilled with how popular these items are, it is one of my personal challenges in that I have no issue with the accessories, but I'm not good with bags and usually end up taking a break from crocheting after I finish them.

If we end up with extras they have been willing to purchase dolls to match what we bring for stuff so it wouldn't be a problem.  I'm willing to work on the accessories to fill them.

11 hours ago, darski said:

I would like to at least follow along next year.  I have given myself until January to see if I get my hand back... if I don't then I will be donating all of my yarn and most of my dolls to a local church.  I could sure use some prayer on this one please.

as I said I will follow along to see what is done next year... :cheer:cheer:cheer

It breaks my heart thinking about you not being able to crochet.  You have made so many beautiful things throughout the years to give away.  I know they brought the recipients much joy.  Just seeing them brought me joy.   Then there are the patterns and support you have given us.   Thank you.  You are the reason I joined this place.  I saw some of your patterns and wanted to tell how cute they were.   I will be praying for your recovery.  Please dont give up.  

3 hours ago, Bailey4 said:

Darski you have given so much and we were talking about your amazing gifts during drop off. I will continue to pray for your recovery.

I would like a new thread. As soon as I can get a pic I've finished my first baby doll donation for next year. This year was a bad year for documenting stuff I'm hoping to do better this coming year as it helps me stay motivated and organized.

I really missed seeing your stuff this year.  I thought you may have given up on this project and actually left Crochetville.  

3 hours ago, Evann said:

don't know exactly what boxing day is could someone explain it to me9

It was the tradition among the British gentry and aristocracy that servants were given the day after Christmas off and gift boxes were given to the servants and tenants.  it was a major tradition of charitable giving.  I read a lot of British novels so it is often in the front of my thinking.  the fact that Christmas was coming and that I had a huge (computer) box in my living room caused me to call for the first Boxing Day charitable event.

Darski, I can't imagine what it must be like to see your yarn sitting there and your hand just unable to work. It makes me want to cry. Maybe a cut off date is good for you so the yarn doesn't torture you by sitting there, but I sure hope you find some way to heal. Prayer or medicine! I'm sure you have exhausted all medical options or you wouldn't be considering such a thing.  You have long been my inspiration. Hoping that one day when I have more free time, I will be skilled enough to just "think up" an idea and have it show up at the end of a hook!  Just thinking of all of the moms and babies that were blessed to get your beautiful handmade items...I can't for the life of me understand why that could be taken from you. (Ok, now I am actually crying) 

i am holding out for a Christmas miracle. 

And just as an afterthought, I think I first learned about Boxing Day when I was about 9 or so and read A Christmas Carol for the first time. I was intrigued by all of the words that were "English" but specifically "British" like ...fortnight. I was precotious and started wishing everyone a Happy Christmas that year instead of a Merry Christmas. 

So, I will open a new CAL on the 26th and hopefully drag some of you into the new year with me. It has been a privilege and an honor to be with such a lovely group for another year.  Prayers for healthy hands and full yarn stashes in 2018. 

2 hours ago, Evann said:

Thanks  do we give whatever we make or does it have to be certain thing to certain charities

You make whatever you like.  I have always tended to hats/scarves, baby sets and of course doll clothes.  I have places to send all of these.  You use the gifts you were given to bless others as you see fit :ghug

3 hours ago, Evann said:

Thanks  do we give whatever we make or does it have to be certain thing to certain charities

There is no designated charity.  You crochet what you like and donate where you feel called to donate.  If you see a project someone is donating to that you want to participate in or find out how to get involved feel free to ask.  You may get involved with that project or find one closer to your own home that does the same thing.

Reading about what other people were making got me involved with prayer shawls a few years ago and I ended up donating to a local church for a few years until they changed the way they took donations and I returned my focus back to doll clothes.

Last winter after reading a post about winter hat and scarf donations I donated some to a local charity.  I'd never really tried that route before. 

This is a great place to find support and inspiration.I still find the toy drive to be my calling, but this thread gets me to step out of my comfort zone every so often and try something new.

Archived