Boxing Day 2016 CAL (any charity items!)

babypoohsmom

Hi everyone...its been quiet around here., starting with me. I have scarf that I made on the small Addi machine and two crochete hats that all need their finishing touches.

My little foster kitten has spent the last two weekends at adoption events and still I have her. Adoptions have been very slow. It's almost impossible for me to use my craft room right now because I cannot keep her out and there is just too much trouble for her to get into and too many small spaces for her to hide. I still have to keep an eye on my 4 year old when she's in there with me because she is always trying to get into something.

Here are the two hats. One is a plain Jane with a fp, bp DC border. The other is a Tezzie.attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

love those.  Must get back to making hats.

I have to get a pic of a sweater and hat(s) I did with a yarn that didn't quite work up as I wished.  it is very spotty for a variegated and I wanted to get an opinion on how it plays out.

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I ran through the Goodwill next to one of the Petsmarts where the rescue's cats go for adoption. Saw lots of yarn, but some were pricey. I settled on a bag with 2 full skeins of yarn, a third partially used skein of baby yarn and a bit of some fun yarn.

They had a big display in the front of the store with packs and packs of nice rubber stamps. That is also on my mind.

Pippi goes for one last adoption event tomorrow. I really, really need support for a good home for her. She's been here too long and we are all getting too attached.

Please pray, put out positive vibes into the universe, or whatever way you support people or in this case, a sweet kitten in need.

See you again soon.

@ Bailey....

I found this site today.  if you scroll down the page there are patterns for baby doll clothes.  it says they are 17" dolls but the clothing looks to be smallish.  Might be useful.

if you continue to a second page there is a sweet teddy bear costume for your baby doll.

Great find, thank you.  I found three baby doll outfits there.  Size is always interesting with the baby dolls as there is no standard sizing for these dolls.I've worked with smaller patterns increasing hook size and had success.  Sometimes because their smaller doll is actually not smaller in the tummy area I have to use a bigger hook to get the outfit to fit.  So, It is always a refit no matter what.  Having patterns to work from makes it easier. I'll start with the patterns and see how they match to the rather chubby 15" doll I'm working on.

Well, thanks for all of the good thoughts and prayers! Pippi got adopted today. A single lady with one cat who she thinks is lonely while she is off at work. So Pippi will have a friend. I was so happy. Of course I cried like a baby.

I did work on a hat each of the past three weeks while I was at the adoption events. Here is the one I did today. It is made with very cheap yarn from Michaels. I buy it with a coupon and it's less than $2. It is very stiff, but washes up exceptionally well for such an inexpensive yarn...

post-13802-0-78612000-1460264507_thumb.jpegpost-13802-0-63976100-1460264520_thumb.jpeg

I have some stuff to share - finally.

with this variegated sweater set: I am not really happy with how the variegation worked out.  it is very choppy and didn't create the sort of effect I am used to.  that may just be me stuck in a rut again :eek  I'm wondering how other respond to the yarn :think

post-4896-0-50111500-1460480085_thumb.jpgpost-4896-0-92123900-1460480086_thumb.jpg

this set came about because the hat didn't work as it was requested so I kept it to make this set .  The hat was nice enough; just not what the mommy had asked for.

post-4896-0-32108700-1460480088_thumb.jpg

And I just had to make a RR set again.  I so love those.  They work up so quickly and give lots of bang for the buck

post-4896-0-14294200-1460480090_thumb.jpgpost-4896-0-57468600-1460480091_thumb.jpgpost-4896-0-19094400-1460480093_thumb.jpg

I am working on another RR set but this one is more petal-like.  at least it is so far.  will post a pic when I get it done.

Well, thanks for all of the good thoughts and prayers! Pippi got adopted today. A single lady with one cat who she thinks is lonely while she is off at work. So Pippi will have a friend. I was so happy. Of course I cried like a baby.

I did work on a hat each of the past three weeks while I was at the adoption events. Here is the one I did today. It is made with very cheap yarn from Michaels. I buy it with a coupon and it's less than $2. It is very stiff, but washes up exceptionally well for such an inexpensive yarn...

attachicon.gifimage.jpegattachicon.gifimage.jpeg

I love that colouration.  so bright and cheerful.  Right on!

I'm also pleased that your little one got a new home.  I don't know how you do the fostering.  I'd have about 100 cats by now if I tried it

Wow Darski, always quiet for a bit and then BAM!

I see what you mean about the variegation on the first set. It might be just a little too long of a change for such a small item, but that being said, I absolutely love it anyway.

The bunny is just too cute. Glad you made lemonade from bunny ears.

And of course I always drool over your RR's. Did I ever post a picture of the blue one I finally finished? It was so full. Someone told me to switch to a larger hook to take up slack, but I think she meant a smaller hook because it turned into a hot mess.

Is the matching jacket pieced? I don't see any seams....

All of it is so lovely.

And of course I always drool over your RR's. Did I ever post a picture of the blue one I finally finished? It was so full. Someone told me to switch to a larger hook to take up slack, but I think she meant a smaller hook because it turned into a hot mess.

Is the matching jacket pieced? I don't see any seams....

All of it is so lovely.

I have found that Aggie May's technique of avoiding increases on every 4th or 5th row helps to keep them flat.   I also only work to 10 points generally although I am working on an 8 pointer right now. I should mention however that many people seem to like that ruffly look.  I like it for the border but not the ghan.

the jacket is worked according to the technique by Moogly for her Baby in Bloom sweater.  I can no long do the broomstick lace but I use the hdc yoke for all my sweaters now.  because it is a variegated yarn, you can't see where the sleeves start.

I think I have the Aggie May pattern printed out. I will try to get a picture of the blue one posted this weekend so you can get a good deep laugh! It's good to clear the lungs out now and then, and this project is hysterical now that I'm done and can look back. But it did give me the confidence to try again, because in the end, the math was right. I had the right number of stitches, it was just way too wobbly and nobody could tell me why. Maybe it was the yarn. ??

I think I have the Aggie May pattern printed out. I will try to get a picture of the blue one posted this weekend so you can get a good deep laugh! It's good to clear the lungs out now and then, and this project is hysterical now that I'm done and can look back. But it did give me the confidence to try again, because in the end, the math was right. I had the right number of stitches, it was just way too wobbly and nobody could tell me why. Maybe it was the yarn. ??

I ten to think that it is the nature of the 12 point RRs.  I've never seen one that didn't ruffle unless you keep the stitch count down here and there.  I did the Red Heart owl blankie and even cutting back on the sts it ruffled so badly. 

I've just finished an 8 point but I want to make a hat and sweater to go with.  It has stayed flat and is almost in need of a few more sts. :eek

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone. Well yesterday I spent about 7 hours at the hospital getting various tests and getting a brace for after the surgery. So of course, my yarn went with me. I made two hats.

The first is just a standard DC with a rather large fp/bp rib brim.

post-13802-0-03209300-1461388200_thumb.jpeg

The second one was supposed to be a Tezzie, but I panicked and thought I was going to run out of yarn because the pattern does use up yarn quickly, so after a few texture rows I switched to DC to finish. Of course I had a ton of yarn left over but I wasn't in the mood to frog it. So it's a unique hat!! Yes, I was adding a specialized design, not being lazy, right??

post-13802-0-69454000-1461388212_thumb.jpeg

Darski, I can't wait to see what you have going! I forgot about getting a picture of the wonky blue blanket. Maybe this weekend.

I made a super quick bath or kitchen scrubber tonight with two strands of cotton held together. I don't know why I never tried it before, but someone on the Ville posted a link to a pattern. It is exactly the same pattern as all of the kitchen cloths I've made but with two strands.

It worked up so quickly. I will probably make a few and put them on my Etsy site and donate any proceeds to the animal shelter. In think my shop is empty right now, but since I won't be able to drive to the post office for a month or so, I guess that's not a bad thing.

I am definitely making some up for Christmas gifts. I have also recently made some of those cloth bowls that you can set a bowl inside and then heat up soup or whatever in the microwave and the cloth bowl acts like a snug potholder and your hands don't get burned. Those I sewed. They are kind of a pain to make, but cheap, so I will make some more for Christmas gifts.

I have been doing baby sets again.  I love doing them and I have a place that will take them.

my creamsicle flower set:

post-4896-0-09423600-1461417300_thumb.jpgpost-4896-0-80927300-1461417301_thumb.jpg

my spinning RR for a boy

post-4896-0-70063100-1461417303_thumb.jpgpost-4896-0-33371300-1461417305_thumb.jpg

and a stroller set for a boy as well.  Ya can't do flowers for little guys but I figure an apple with a worm is just about right. :rofl

post-4896-0-10028300-1461417307_thumb.jpgpost-4896-0-91116700-1461417308_thumb.jpg

These have been fun to make but I think I should get back to shawls again.

Wow! Just wow. Those projects are so amazing. You really inspire me. I hope one day I can tackle projects like those. I cannot even pick a favorite this time!! I wish I could give you 3 or 5 "likes" on one post!!

Wow! Just wow. Those projects are so amazing. You really inspire me. I hope one day I can tackle projects like those. I cannot even pick a favorite this time!! I wish I could give you 3 or 5 "likes" on one post!!

youse is a sweetheart :hug

:ty

I washed the two tan colored hats and they came out very soft, so I'm happy about that. It's a Red Heart yarn with little speckles of black in it. I'm sure you have all seen it before, but I forget what they call it.

Anyway, this picture is one of my regular "textured" dish cloths and next to it, the one with two strands together. I crochet kind of tight, so the double stranded one is very firm. I like it though, I think it would be great for the shower or maybe for more intense dish washing. The pattern described them as a bath item. Either way, it worked up quickly. About 2 years ago I was up late and browsing the "de stashing" thread and I accidentally bought a box of cotton yarn. My mom loved making dish cloths, so I surely did not need any more cotton yarn because her stash was rather large when she passed...but one of the items in the box was a big spool of white. So I guess I will pair it up with my variegated yarn and make some more of these. Not sure what kind of charity would need these. But again, I might sell them and give the proceeds to the animal shelter. We'll see. Around Christmas time all kinds of charities ask for random items!

post-13802-0-79277200-1461473637_thumb.jpeg

Hi Owl! Nice to have you drop in! : )

Bailey, I was waiting for Elsa. I like the skirt in the back. That's very pretty.

Well, I'm off to surgery tomorrow so you won't hear from me for awhile. They moved my check in from 5:30 am to 7:30 am but didn't give me a surgery time. The nurse told me that they moved a difficult case to the "first of the day" slot so I should plan on waiting for up to 5 hours. Really? Apparently this guy is worth it. All of the nurses told me how lucky I was to have this doctor, so I'm taking a giant skein of grey yarn with me to make hats for the veteran's shelter. My Dad and husband are both pathetic and never bring anything to do. I have warned them!!!

You could put the washcloths in shoeboxes in the fall for Operation Christmas Child(OCC), they pack shoeboxes for children, three age groups, part of Samaritan's Purse. I too have been making washcloths for this event. Found three skeins of cotton yarn in mother-in-laws stash so doing them in her memory, usually get two washcloths out of a skein. Charlene

Hi Owl! Nice to have you drop in! : )

Bailey, I was waiting for Elsa. I like the skirt in the back. That's very pretty.

Well, I'm off to surgery tomorrow so you won't hear from me for awhile. They moved my check in from 5:30 am to 7:30 am but didn't give me a surgery time. The nurse told me that they moved a difficult case to the "first of the day" slot so I should plan on waiting for up to 5 hours. Really? Apparently this guy is worth it. All of the nurses told me how lucky I was to have this doctor, so I'm taking a giant skein of grey yarn with me to make hats for the veteran's shelter. My Dad and husband are both pathetic and never bring anything to do. I have warned them!!!

Good luck!!

Archived