Boxing Day 2016 CAL (any charity items!)

babypoohsmom

Hi Owl! Nice to have you drop in! : )

Bailey, I was waiting for Elsa. I like the skirt in the back. That's very pretty.

Well, I'm off to surgery tomorrow so you won't hear from me for awhile. They moved my check in from 5:30 am to 7:30 am but didn't give me a surgery time. The nurse told me that they moved a difficult case to the "first of the day" slot so I should plan on waiting for up to 5 hours. Really? Apparently this guy is worth it. All of the nurses told me how lucky I was to have this doctor, so I'm taking a giant skein of grey yarn with me to make hats for the veteran's shelter. My Dad and husband are both pathetic and never bring anything to do. I have warned them!!!

prayers for you,for a great outcome,to be more mobile and pain free

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Linda, glad to know you are out there!

Bailey, did you make another dress with the watermelon theme before or was that you Darski? Well I like the colors!

And Charlene, I will keep my eyes open in the fall for that project. It sounds perfect. And I just remembered today that I sent cotton yarn to a gal who lost her stash was back in super storm Sandy, so even with that give away, I still have lots of cotton to work with.

As far as my surgery goes, I did wait 5 hours. I got there at 7:30 and got my IV at 8:30 (rendering my left hand useless) and did not "roll back" for surgery until 12:30. The first 24 hours were out of control from pain. Now it's better controlled but I'm awake a lot. It is currently 2am, but at least I have been home since about 5pm. They let me go early because I could talk and swallow without too much pain. It's very hard to sleep for long periods of time. The hospital was much more quiet than I expected but the pain creeps up.

I have a basic grey beanie on my hook right now. I can't deal with anything complex.

Well, I thought I would share this kind of funny moment. The day before my surgery, I popped into Joanns because it's going to be a long time before I can "pop" in again...and I picked up a very generic but giant ball of grey yarn that is good for the hats for the Veterans in the mill ends bin. It's very thick yarn.

When I went to find the center pull, I found no less than 8 leads. Ha ha. This generally doesn't happen to me with mill ends. I guess this is going to be a bit of a mess when I get to the end (luckily, I did find a center pull)

Anyway, I just got a good laugh out of it....

post-13802-0-12244400-1461950331_thumb.jpeg

Bailey, I like the green dress. Do all the dolls have that cloth body? Do you dress them with a little shirt under the dress so that doesn't get dirty? I imagine how difficult it must be to try to clean the soft part if it somehow gets dirty.

I tried a new hat pattern yesterday. Kind of a disaster and 100% my fault. Who thinks it's smart to try something new when your brain isn't fully engaged? Heck, I have problems when my brain IS fully engaged. Wound up with a very large hat but I think it will be fine at the Veteran's home. Surely they have need for larger hats. Anyway, I am still working down the giant grey skein with 8 leads, so it's a good color for the Veterens.

Not much else going on for me of course. My days and nights are still turned around. I can't wait to get the brace off my neck and get some sleep, but after a few hours without it, I need the stability again, and you just can't sleep with it on, so I am often up in the middle of the night.

Hope you are all doing well. : ) Denise

it bums me out,sometimes when the hats are a bit on the large size,then I think,well maybe it will go to someone with a lot of hair,and not like mine that is rather on the thin side

Bailey, I like the green dress. Do all the dolls have that cloth body? Do you dress them with a little shirt under the dress so that doesn't get dirty? I imagine how difficult it must be to try to clean the soft part if it somehow gets dirty.

I tried a new hat pattern yesterday. Kind of a disaster and 100% my fault. Who thinks it's smart to try something new when your brain isn't fully engaged? Heck, I have problems when my brain IS fully engaged. Wound up with a very large hat but I think it will be fine at the Veteran's home. Surely they have need for larger hats. Anyway, I am still working down the giant grey skein with 8 leads, so it's a good color for the Veterens.

Not much else going on for me of course. My days and nights are still turned around. I can't wait to get the brace off my neck and get some sleep, but after a few hours without it, I need the stability again, and you just can't sleep with it on, so I am often up in the middle of the night.

Hope you are all doing well. : ) Denise

This is a soft body Mary Maxim baby doll.  There are others on the market that are soft bodied, but these were affordable and easy to keep getting the same doll.  I bought out what I could and will have to find a new doll after next year.  As for what parents do when the dolls get dirty, I don't know, I've never had that problem.  I suspect with a shirt they'd still get dirty.  The white is supposed to be the equivalent of a onesy. 

As one who is not small myself, I always appreciate when larger items are available for purchase.  I suspect it is even more important when you are looking to get items from a charity.

love this one.  great colouration

BTW... I am working on a set of baby doll patterns.  they are designed for a 14" all vinly doll but I was thinking they might be of use to you.  still have to finish the typing and the pics.  will try to post a pic I hsave of the whole set.

I'll have to take a new pic for this as this one is blurry.   this just gives you an idea of the bits.

blankie

Christening gown and hat

sun suit w/ hat

dress/cape and headband

post-4896-0-22256600-1462400496_thumb.jpg

Darski, what a cute little set. Is the doll sized like a newborn? I can't tell. I mean is it a doll set or is it for a baby? Since you do both.

I have made 3 hats so far from the giant skein 'o grey yarn. This is the second one. I found it at Bob Wilson 123 and I think it's called the Wave hat. I thought it was going to be very large, but it washed up nice and soft and pulled in a little. I can't try on the hats I make right now because my brace and ponytail are both in the way. It's still roomy and will be nice for a gal with a lot of hair or a guy with a bigger head. You can finish it scalloped or straight and I decided on straight since it is likely to go to the Veteran's shelter.

post-13802-0-19322000-1462513420_thumb.jpeg

Today I did absolutely nothing. Never even picked up a crochet hook. Some days are like that!

Darski, what a cute little set. Is the doll sized like a newborn? I can't tell. I mean is it a doll set or is it for a baby? Since you do both.

I have made 3 hats so far from the giant skein 'o grey yarn. This is the second one. I found it at Bob Wilson 123 and I think it's called the Wave hat. I thought it was going to be very large, but it washed up nice and soft and pulled in a little. I can't try on the hats I make right now because my brace and ponytail are both in the way. It's still roomy and will be nice for a gal with a lot of hair or a guy with a bigger head. You can finish it scalloped or straight and I decided on straight since it is likely to go to the Veteran's shelter.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Today I did absolutely nothing. Never even picked up a crochet hook. Some days are like that!

I love that hat... just enough flair to be interesting but not so much that a gentleman might look askance :rofl

The outfit is for the baby doll.  That is a 14" all vinyl doll - Lots to Love Berenguer baby.

Darski, you sent me to the dictionary to look up askance. You don't hear that one in everyday conversation. : ) Are you trying to make sure I am still with it over here?

Here is hat #3 from the grey blob. It is the Divine Hat. Definitely a girl hat in my opinion, but I suppose one can never know for sure. I had not done this one in awhile and didn't want to forget the pattern.post-13802-0-38047300-1462589207_thumb.jpeg

I think I might do the Better Late Than Never hat next. Need to find a 2nd color to work in. Maybe dark blue? I was thinking about a set of simple fingerless gloves, but I'm not excited about that yet. There is plenty of yarn if I get motivated to do them later this weekend.

Ok, backwards in time to Grey Hat #1. This one I actually started before surgery. Nothing special. Just a DC with the fp/bp brim that I like.

post-13802-0-01090400-1462667602_thumb.jpeg

Watched the Derby run (ignored the 3 hours of hype on tv prior to the actual race). I kept calling the winner NyQuil. : )

Ok, backwards in time to Grey Hat #1. This one I actually started before surgery. Nothing special. Just a DC with the fp/bp brim that I like.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Watched the Derby run (ignored the 3 hours of hype on tv prior to the actual race). I kept calling the winner NyQuil. : )

I love the effect of the ribbing by post sts.  It adds so much to the overall effect in my mind :)

I did a project that has been on my back burner for a couple of years.  it just worked up so quickly that I went ahead and got it done (and typed) ahead of my baby doll stuff :blush

post-4896-0-96698200-1462692582_thumb.jpgpost-4896-0-37146500-1462692584_thumb.jpgpost-4896-0-07161000-1462692589_thumb.jpg

post-4896-0-86401500-1462692585_thumb.jpgpost-4896-0-41334100-1462692587_thumb.jpg

will be posting the pattern tomorrow.

There you go again Darski...with no warning, just *poof* and there is a beautiful doll set. I love that you photograph all of the little details. I do wonder how you get ideas from your head to the hook. Do you just see what you want in your mind and just start working it out with yarn? What a gift. I am glad that you are still writing out the patterns. I remember about a year or so ago you thought you had lost interest in making and writing new patterns and I thought about what a loss that would be.

I started my very first corner to corner blanket last night. Stayed up way too late after I got started, but really, who cares. Ha, it's not like I have a full schedule these days. I really like the rhythm of it and I like the texture of the fabric. A month or so ago I watched a couple of tutorials and the idea was in the back of my mind.

My husband is supposed to cook dinner tonight. Spaghetti, so nothing challenging, but it will be fun to watch him try to get it all together.

Here is the c2c blanket I am trying. I have never tried one before. A friend gave me 2 skeins of I Love This Yarn and a book of shawl patterns for my birthday, and last night I finally got inspired to try the blanket. It is very relaxing to me but I can see that these two skeins will only make a small blanket. I will probably just go ahead and make a small blanket because the chances of me getting to Hobby Lobby to get more of this color anytime in the near future are about zero and I don't want the project to die on the hook.

post-13802-0-38776800-1462751016_thumb.jpeg

Aw, sorry the picture is so bad. But you all know what this kind of blanket looks like, so I guess that part doesn't matter much.

Here is the c2c blanket I am trying. I have never tried one before. A friend gave me 2 skeins of I Love This Yarn and a book of shawl patterns for my birthday, and last night I finally got inspired to try the blanket. It is very relaxing to me but I can see that these two skeins will only make a small blanket. I will probably just go ahead and make a small blanket because the chances of me getting to Hobby Lobby to get more of this color anytime in the near future are about zero and I don't want the project to die on the hook.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Aw, sorry the picture is so bad. But you all know what this kind of blanket looks like, so I guess that part doesn't matter much.

you mentioned making shawls.  the c2c made only as far as the yarn will go makes a good triangle shawl.  I have done a couple of those and they are lovely, warm and quick to make.

post-4896-0-51492900-1462755075_thumb.jpgpost-4896-0-09450600-1462755077_thumb.jpg

Archived