Summer stitch-cation by the Crochet Crowd

If that be the case (a sampler), I will pass on this one then as I just finished a sampler and I'm tired of squares for now.    :ohdear 

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep!  Think I may pass on it too.  Maybe someone needs to start a CAL of the Fairy Tales one???  

That sounds like a winner!!  Anyone out there who wants to volunteer?  I would, but I don't have a camera to take good pix!  Maybe we could just all crochet a round of it each week!!??

I just looked at the stitch-cation ghan. I am not impressed either. It just doesn't look like fun to me.

I agree with all the thumbs down. With that many colors and that many patterns, to me no matter how skillfully planned it would still look like a jumble. The Fairy Tales one does look interesting. 

oh, i don't think it qualifies as ugly, it's pretty, and bright, and any  younger girl teen would probably love it!! I don't think it doesn't come together, its lovely in it's own way, beauty is in the eye of the beholder..    The fairies one, is darling too, and so colorful, probably almost as many colors as this one, I didn't count, lol. Good luck to all that do either, in my opinion, both are colorful,and a wonderful challenge, and achievement when completed.  :manyheart

I went to The Crochet Crowd site today and got the pattern for the challenge. It's 10 different squares, each in a different stitch pattern. The rules say a minimum of 8 colors, 2 squares of each stitch pattern (20 total) and 4 rounds for the border. The demo has 8 colors for the squares and 1 (the 9th) color for the border. It's a pattern that can be worked on anywhere, which means I can do some on my lunch break. I'm going with rainbow, light brown and aran.

Ellie 13

I re-read the rules and I'm going to use some balls of yarn I have in my stash. As long as I use 8 (or more) colors it won't matter if I don't start with whole skeins. I don't have all the rainbow colors, so I'm going to treat each square as a mini scrap-ghan. If I use my stash and don't buy any more :yarn, it'll help in the Stash Busting CAL :lol . As soon as I finish the teddy bear, I'll start the squares.

Ellie 13

People have said 8 (9) colors is too many, but when I got the  :yarn together and counted the colors, I got 19 , more than enough (some I might not use). I have  balls, whole skeins, slightly used skeins. I made up different color combos, since I have lots of some colors I'll use it in more than 1 square. I've started the squares and got 5 done, with 2 or 3 colors a square, 7 colors already used. The next 2 squares will add 3 more colors, so 10 colors used and 7 squares done. This is way easier than it looks. With an average of a square a day, I should have the squares done by the end of July (latest). Putting them together and doing the border is the hard part.

Ellie 13

People have said 8 (9) colors is too many, but when I got the  :yarn together and counted the colors, I got 19 , more than enough (some I might not use). I have  balls, whole skeins, slightly used skeins. I made up different color combos, since I have lots of some colors I'll use it in more than 1 square. I've started the squares and got 5 done, with 2 or 3 colors a square, 7 colors already used. The next 2 squares will add 3 more colors, so 10 colors used and 7 squares done. This is way easier than it looks. With an average of a square a day, I should have the squares done by the end of July (latest). Putting them together and doing the border is the hard part.

Ellie 13

used  to hate putting them together--but then I discovered the "invisible seam" and I LOVE it now!

:crocheting     :yarn

I agree with katyallen8090 and think it is kind of bright and cute, especially for a girl's room.

I can see where some combinations wouldn't look great though.  I still think you could do it all in one color or just a few.  Of course you wouldn't be part of their contest. 

I agree with katyallen8090 and think it is kind of bright and cute, especially for a girl's room.

I can see where some combinations wouldn't look great though.  I still think you could do it all in one color or just a few.  Of course you wouldn't be part of their contest. 

That was the decision I made back when they announced it.  I have actually decided that I will never do another Mystery event again.  They are such a disappointment.

I have actually decided that I will never do another Mystery event again.  They are such a disappointment.

I haven't ever done one because they do make me nervous.  I have seen a couple that turned out okay.  I'd have changed a few things but you don't know that until you are done.

I have saved some to do my way later, including the stitch-cation one.

That was the decision I made back when they announced it.  I have actually decided that I will never do another Mystery event again.  They are such a disappointment.

I prefer to wait until you can see the whole project and choose color placement that looks good and know whether you even like the looks of it.

I prefer to wait until you can see the whole project and choose color placement that looks good and know whether you even like the looks of it.

Amen!

My squares are coming out 11 (+/- 1/4) inches. I may have to block them before joining them. I've finished 8 squares and used 13 colors. The squares look great by themselves, but together, afghan will look like a crazy quilt when it's done. My mom's a quilter, maybe I'll get her help on placement of the squares.

Ellie 13

My squares are coming out 11 (+/- 1/4) inches. I may have to block them before joining them. I've finished 8 squares and used 13 colors. The squares look great by themselves, but together, afghan will look like a crazy quilt when it's done. My mom's a quilter, maybe I'll get her help on placement of the squares.

Ellie 13

Many have finished their ghans already.  Individual squares do look good but I have not seen a single finished afghan that isn't a mess. 

No offense but I just can't get past the mixing of all those bits.  Just personal prejudice :(.

I work during the day so 1 square a night (3 - 4 on weekends) is all I can do. Some of the patterns I've never done before, those will take some time to figure out. I've done 10 squares (5 easy patterns). I made a list of all the colors I had (21) and used 15 already. I might add 1 or 2 more colors with black to crochet them together and for the border. I still have about 6 weeks to finish, so I should be O.K.

Ellie 13

14 squares done, 17 colors used. I'll use black to join the squares and the border. I hope I have enough of these colors to make 6 more squares. The colors I haven't used don't go with  any of the other colors (7 squares are 2 colors, 7 squares are 3 colors). It's hard to figure out new color combs, maybe I'll do the rest with just 1 color. I have full skeins of 3 colors I didn't use yet. That will make at least 21 colors used. They'll go crazy trying to count them all :lol . Will I get a prize for using the most colors :think ?

Ellie 13

16 squares done. I haven't use any new colors yet because I have enough of the other colors. I'm only going to add 1 more color to my afghan (18 for the squares, black to join and border them) that will make 19 total. In June, 2 co-workers bought teddy bears and now another wants a girl bear. I'm tired of the squares so I'm working on a bear today. I made the dress and will start the bear tonight. I'll get back to the squares tomorrow afternoon.

Ellie 13

Individual squares do look good but I have not seen a single finished afghan that isn't a mess.

Looking at them today, I disagree.  There are some that are nice.

There are some that are a mess though.  Sorry if they belong to anyone here. 

This is not a project you can just use any scrap you want.  It will look like your crayon box threw up.  You also can't use a lot of variegated yarn just because it goes with all the solids.  Too much variegated and they will clash with each other.

Some one did a solid just to see how it would turn out.  Like I figured, it is nice.

I love how someone did all greens and browns and made a minecraft one.  LOL

There are a few others I like.  I won't point out the ones I don't.  Tastes differ and I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings.

Here is the link in case anyone can't find it:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mikeyssmail/sets/72157645444215094/

Looking at them today, I disagree.  There are some that are nice.

There are some that are a mess though.  Sorry if they belong to anyone here. 

This is not a project you can just use any scrap you want.  It will look like your crayon box threw up.  You also can't use a lot of variegated yarn just because it goes with all the solids.  Too much variegated and they will clash with each other.

Some one did a solid just to see how it would turn out.  Like I figured, it is nice.

I love how someone did all greens and browns and made a minecraft one.  LOL

There are a few others I like.  I won't point out the ones I don't.  Tastes differ and I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings.

Here is the link in case anyone can't find it:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mikeyssmail/sets/72157645444215094/

I agree!  There are some really BEUUUUTIFUL afghans out there!  I think...think, mind you...that my personal favorite is the white or off white one!  But if I had to choose a favorite from the various colored ones, I'd pick...this one...no, this one...no, this one.....  :P 

Archived