Boxing Day CAL 2014

babypoohsmom

I finally got the pictures up and posted on my blog for the American Girl Little Red Riding Hood.  I have the 15" baby doll ordered for the donation box, but I'm hoping to balance my time better this year.  Last year I got split between the multiple projects and didn't get as much done as I'd like.  This year I think I have a better strategy for completing stuff.

• Replies 639
  • Created
  • Last Reply

????

☕???? ~ Good evening all.....

Wow! Look how busy you all have been!! Great job!!

I've been pretty busy myself...but it's been filling orders! $$$. Gotta like that!

I have squeezed in a couple birthday gifts in there too!

Well back at it!

Catch up more later!

Keep up the good work everyone!!!

????

Hi all

Hope your all staying warm. Nice bags and great work on dolls. I made either a square or beginning of afghan. Not sure yet if I'm gonna add to it or not. Also working on first hat of year and its first hat I ever designed myself. Was gonna make adult size, but didn't make crown big enough. Not sure what size it is though. Here is pic. Not finished yet though.

post-51725-0-71878800-1390596737_thumb.jpg

Nice start on a new hat Krazy. I have not been brave enough to "wing it" with a pattern yet.

Linda, good luck on Monday. I hope you get a more comfortable and crochet friendly brace.

I have two more hats to show. Awhile back I bought some super cheap yarn at Michaels called CraftSmart. It felt like sandpaper but I liked the colors. First I tried it as an accent color in a standard beanie. As I used it, it softened up really quickly. So I tried it on the Addi and it worked up so well. No skipping stitches or anything. Yippee. It will be even softer after a swim in the washing machine.

post-13802-0-82563500-1390620169_thumb.jpgpost-13802-0-00596500-1390620146_thumb.jpg

Hi all

Hope your all staying warm. Nice bags and great work on dolls. I made either a square or beginning of afghan. Not sure yet if I'm gonna add to it or not. Also working on first hat of year and its first hat I ever designed myself. Was gonna make adult size, but didn't make crown big enough. Not sure what size it is though. Here is pic. Not finished yet though.

attachicon.gif0124141336.jpg

Looks good.

Nice start on a new hat Krazy. I have not been brave enough to "wing it" with a pattern yet.

Linda, good luck on Monday. I hope you get a more comfortable and crochet friendly brace.

I have two more hats to show. Awhile back I bought some super cheap yarn at Michaels called CraftSmart. It felt like sandpaper but I liked the colors. First I tried it as an accent color in a standard beanie. As I used it, it softened up really quickly. So I tried it on the Addi and it worked up so well. No skipping stitches or anything. Yippee. It will be even softer after a swim in the washing machine.

attachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpg

Nice hats.

So here are a few hats I made. The three small ones are for a charity that provides burial clothes for still born babies. The said they needed hats that fit sizes from a ping pong ball to a tennis ball. So far I made these three. Then I made a normal newborn size.

post-13802-0-25864300-1390784253_thumb.jpg

They are actually a very pretty blue, not as grey as the look in this picture.

So here are a few hats I made. The three small ones are for a charity that provides burial clothes for still born babies. The said they needed hats that fit sizes from a ping pong ball to a tennis ball. So far I made these three. Then I made a normal newborn side.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

They are actually a very pretty blue, not as grey as the look in this picture.

I love those hats.  I have always had a soft spot for burial ministries.  I should get some made in those sizes.  I've wanted to buy some tennis balls to make those cute holders (see link) and ping pong balls should be easy to come by

Tennis ball holder

Ha, that key holder is cute. I think you know I watch BobWilson123 on you tube a lot. She is the one who I heard about this type of project from. She is in Australia but I suppose their are hospitals everywhere that need this sort of thing. So I will collect more before I try to find a place to take them. I saved back a small bit if the blue. I will make a white blanket with blue trim. The blankets they say can be 12" x 12" can you imagine how very sad that would be? It took me less than 20 minutes each to make the small hats. If I can find a charitable experience that costs me only 20 minutes and allows me to do something I love like crochet, then that sure seems like a good path if you ask me.

When my mom was alive, her sewing group took small blankets to the coroners office for use in burying babies that were abandoned after still birth by their families. I was shocked at how often that happens here.

See a need, fill a need. That's how it goes. It seems that we don't have to look hard to find something we can do, no matter how small to make a difference

I miss my foster kittens now, but I cannot take any in until I can walk properly and drive. I hope by the first of March which is when kitten season starts to hit here. I logged over 600 volunteer hours in 2013 and only about 8 so far this year because of my surgery. Feels weird, so that's why I decided to make more hats for awhile.

Oh boy- - I have been long winded and preachy. Must be the pain meds!! Sorry!!

Sometimes a need just finds you.  It is important work if you can handle the challenge.

Have to put some buttons on a doll shirt this morning.  Have one last thread item to make and that outfit will be finished.  Not quite what I was hoping for, but it still is cute.

Working on some basic doll items like pants, sweaters, and skirts.  Finished a pair of pants and started a skirt.  Also, finally got back to the 5" doll project I started a while back.  I made the cradle several weeks ago.  Last night I made the handles and got the top of the mattress completed.  Today I want to finish the bottom, crochet it together and stuff it.

Bailey, just curious. How much do those dolls cost that you use for the charity sales event? We don't have AC Moore here. We just have Joann's, Michaels and Hobby Lobby now. I think Craftsmart had them when they were still in business here, but in ever looked at them.

Made a few more hats on the Addi yesterday. Need to get pictures. Today I didn't do anything. Felt very tired and "off" for some reason. I guess healing from surgery is funny that way.

Linda? Are you out there? Did you get good news and a better brace for your wrist today? I sure hope so.

The list price for the Springfields generally start at $19.99 and go up from there depending on where you buy them.  I try to get them with the 50% off coupons.  It usually takes me a couple of trys because they generally put them on sale when the coupons come out.  However, usually during the year I can get one for about $10.  They are about $12 with the 40% coupon and $12.49 when they put them on sale to avoid the coupon.  AC Moore also has a rewards card that gives you $10 dollars when you accumulate so many points.  I just hit the deadline for completing my 2013 points so I think I'm due a $10 bonus which will just about cover one doll even if I have to go with the 40% or sale price.  It takes patience, but it is why I start hunting now.  My general goal is to try to spend under $20 for the two 18" Springfield dolls I donate.  I've never seen the doll's at a local Joann's only online. 

I don't know what Michaels carries as I only rarely am in there.  I've never tried to look for doll stuff there.  If they do carry the dolls, they do have regular weekly coupons.

The baby dolls are a bit more challenging as I have to get those online.  I haven't found a good local resource for the sizes I want that I can get consistantly.  I need a doll for me to work on and one of the same to donate.  So if I switch dolls each year it creates and issue.  If I can stick with the same dolls, it decreases my costs.

Bailey, just curious. How much do those dolls cost that you use for the charity sales event? We don't have AC Moore here. We just have Joann's, Michaels and Hobby Lobby now. I think Craftsmart had them when they were still in business here, but in ever looked at them.
Made a few more hats on the Addi yesterday. Need to get pictures. Today I didn't do anything. Felt very tired and "off" for some reason. I guess healing from surgery is funny that way.

Linda? Are you out there? Did you get good news and a better brace for your wrist today? I sure hope so.

Setting goals seemed to keep me motivated yesterday.  Got the buttons sewed, which I never enjoy doing.  Got 10 rows completed on the pantaloons in thread.  Finished the 5" doll's mattress and started on the bunting.  Got one 18" doll skirt to the point of needing the finishing touches.

Today's a bit more crazy, but I think I still set some goals and see how it goes.  The bunting looks a bit confusing so I'd like to get the next 5 rows completed there.  Like to complete row 20 on the pantaloons and get the skirt to just needing the hooks to close it.  I've never used hooks before, I may switch to snaps if they don't work well.  For myself, I'd like to get back to working on the hooded part of my scarf.

Well didn't complete the goals, but I got into a groove working with the thread so I finished the first side of the pantaloons, you make two and got the first 10 rows done on side 2.

The 15" baby soft body dolls arrived from Mary Maxim which is distracting because of course now I want to dive in and start working on some outfits that will go for that donation.  I've promised myself no new projects until the pantaloons are done.  Hopefully that will be today.  I also really want to focus on completing the 5" doll project, but the first 15" project I've picked looks fairly easy.  Famous last words.

Hi Denise

yes, I got good news, the site is healing well,wound up with another fiberglass splint,and they just don't listen when you tell them,don't make it so long,it digs into my upper arm when Itry to bend my elbow,but at least its a bit looser,so I have more wiggle room.Monday I go back again,the sub Doc seems to think they will start exercising it then,it hurts like heck when they Xray it and tell you to lay it flat,ummmm yea right(howl ) BUT TO GET BACK TO THE SISTERHOOD OF CROCHET,I'LL DO MY PART

Well, sorry Bailey. Darn the postal service for delivering such a distraction. But at least you got something done.

Linda, I feel your pain. Literally, I just had surgery #8 on my ankle and it always hurts when the docs say "does this hurt"? You would think that they would know that everything hurts after a certain amount of damage.

So, I am almost done with that inexpensive yarn, here is another hat I made on the Addi machine and then put the brim on by crochet.

post-13802-0-30042100-1391050105_thumb.jpg

Archived